Is the outside beverage ban making you look elsewhere??

UPNYGuy

I always look at other lines options as well, but this change will not steer me away from NCL. I was thinking of buying bottled water for my upcoming 14 day. For 24 large bottles, it comes to $2.92 per bottle, and that includes the 18%. I think that is a reasonable cost.

Edited by vince_g

NCL has never been my 1st choice. I prefer Celebrity and Princess but when searching for a cruise I never completely rule any line out. All the changes in the last 18 months including this one means NCL has far more negatives to consider. So it will impact our choices.

Sailed the Escape in 2/2016 and almost everything requires a reservation. Want to eat in dining venue on a certain day and time, make a reservation. Want to see production shows, make a reservation. Want to see the comedy show, make a reservation. All this as much as 90 days in advance. How is this "freestyle"? I just don't get it. We did have Epic booked for the the end of January, 2017 but switched to Princess. A little more expensive but a better experience IMHO.

Yes, the "inconvenience" of having to leave the cabin for both of use to have a beverage taken together with the significantly increased fares to pay for free/not free promotions that do not interest us (we don't/can't drink alcohol) and the reduction in the value of platinum benefits, we are finding that our overall cruise enjoyment is diminished. The obvious price gouging also makes us annoyed as well as that no one from NCL has responded to any of my inquiries about it (I sent a number of respectful emails) speaks volumes.

For the first time, we are, in fact looking elsewhere and trying to figure out whether we should cancel our next cruise and sell the CruiseNext certs we have or use them up and move on. It seems that we are no longer the type of passenger NCL is seeking.

Please read this entire post to get what this is about.

I am asking this because there are MANY of us (including myself, a Latitudes Platinum) that have stood by Norwegian as all these changes rolled out. We have said time and time again how they do not affect us, and witnessed others complain.

Now, I will freely admit that this does NOT directly impact me, as my wife and I always sail in cabins that have included the UBP, and prefer Pepsi if we drink soda (which is very rarely).

However, it is making me question more than ever what other motives are behind the changes (the security screening 'story' is BS), and what else is coming down the pipeline.

DW and I have a cruise coming up in October, and three more booked with Norwegian after that. Needless to say, I saw the change on the Ts and Cs...

We have been looking on and off at MSC for some time now, and saw that they had a new ship coming to Miami when we had an NCL booking. So needless to say, we booked a Yacht Club cabin on MSC Seaside. We figured we'd give them a go in Europe as well on Splendida, as they are basically kingpin there. If we didn't really care for them, it'd still be a great experience ;). Not to mention that the Yacht Club was considerably less than The Haven, which has been reported here before.

I am not saying DW and I will ACTUALLY leave Norwegian, but this may backfire on them, as there are MANY people that will not drink Pepsi. But with us, it gave me enough of a push to actually give MSC a shot. If we like the Yacht Club, we may take our business there instead...and we LIKE Pepsi!!

UPNY,

Do you think this is a "gateway" ban that NCL is trying out with more to come down the line? I was thinking of other ways NCL can increase revenue based on what people expect regarding lounger space at the relatively small pools on board.

They could rope off the areas by the pool considered "Front Row" with special loungers and better more attentive bar service...i was thinking if they charged $15 per lounger per day...and $25 per lounger per SEA day (more hours by the pool in prime location) that people would prob just pay this fee as well... I know at first there would be an uproar like (Discontinuing Fireworks) now ask people about the fireworks and they would say "Meh" and move on...

so in closing, I would say this to shall pass but as long as there is a percentage of the public willing to pay for things that were once free...there will be a marketing department paying employees lots of money to keep coming up with more ways of separating you from your money.

Its all in how they word it...remember when subway was doing $5 dollar footlongs? i couldn't get the jingle out of my head...but then subway rolled out a big media push exclaiming their footlongs are now only $6 dollars!!!! it was everywhere....yes...we are only charging $6 dollars...!!! and the public bought it....they ate it up...

or when McDonalds advertised thier mcdouble's are now just $1.19 and they put huge stickers all over their windows to tell people..? wow only $1.19 for a mcdouble...awesome...wait...I thought they were on the true dollar menu? yes...they were....but now they are only $1.19 !!!! so basically they raised the price by 19% and bragged about it to the uninformed public and guess what...we ate it up...

Last one....starbucks just increased their drink prices by about 25 cents per drink...well that one didnt go over to good cause people love to hate that coffee conglomerate...so not everyone gets away with price increases its just wether or not the public calls them out on it...

Remember when ice cream was sold in true half gallon containers....?? now they are much smaller....and the price went up to boot.!!!

why are the plates served in the buffet 1000 degrees?

some questions dont have answers....

Best,

Mark

I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm a guy, and have no issues re-wearing clothes on a cruise, but I can fully understand why many bring lots of outfits. This is their vacation and they love to dress up and feel glamorous.

Likewise, there are apparently people who are vowing to write off NCL because they can't bring on their bottled water and Diet Coke.

One thing I've learned from these boards... what seems "ridiculous" to one is perfectly normal to another. People are different.

Your last paragraph is spot on.

Everyone has different priorities, and it can be difficult for others to understand them. Many people on here would question why we have cruised only on NCL and aren't bothered at the moment to try other lines. I have my reasons, and wouldn't for a second suggest that my decision would work for everyone.

When it comes to drinks, if I go on holiday outside the UK then I will almost certainly not be able to drink the beers that I usually do. NCL is not unique in that.

I actually quite like that. Would I prefer to drink my favourite beer or the bottle is Spanish lager in Barcelona, some slop like Bud in the states or Sam Adams or a cocktail on NCL? My favourite beer of course, but I'm on holiday and its different to being at home. The change is good. My local pub also isn't available, or the places I like to walk, there is no Rugby on the TV either come to that.

I would no more let the availability to get the drinks I want affect my holiday plans than would the fact that the comfy chair I sit on at home also isn't available.

Of course, others feel differently, and I respect that.

I do wonder a little whether my view is affected by the fact that I'm not American. American culture has, for better or worse, spread to such an extent that people are used to being able to find their favourites wherever that are in the world, so losing access to them for a week is more of a shock to the system than it is for me.

There is no right or wrong here. Some peoples reasoning does seem odd when taken from another persons viewpoint, and it is sometimes tricky to avoid chuckling, but that really doesn't mean that it is wrong for that person.

Edited by KeithJenner

Yes bc I don't want to have to pay 70 for a package, stand in line at the buffet to load my brita or 10 eight ounce glasses of water or drink out of the tap. My wife also like Coke products. We are looking at Carnival. This is after 9 NCL cruises. The security excuse is BS.

Bottled water is a crime against humanity so anything that stems it's progress is a-okay with me.

OK, I've kept my patience while you eco-warriors have made crack after crack about bottled water, but enough.

For a variety of reasons, my husband and I chose not to have kids. Sure we recycle, eat local (as much as possible living in an area with 3 season agriculture), buy fuel-efficient vehicles, don't run the tap while brushing our teeth and all those little things that reduce our carbon footprint.

They are all dwarfed in terms of their environmental impact by our decision not to create more resource-using people. We could buy the biggest most inefficient plane there is and fly it constantly, landing only to refuel for the rest of our lives, and still not do as much damage to the planet as we would have by having a child.

So please -- spare me your lectures about "crimes against humanity" because I prefer bottled water to tap in some circumstances.

PS - please don't interpret this as an anti-child rant. I don't have an issue with other people's kids. And I'm not one to scowl at kids making noise by the pool, etc. They're kids having fun! I'm just sick of self-important people who feel they need to make comments like the one quoted.

Edited by jm485

If there are actually people out there who are so entitled that they can't drink Pepsi for a week instead of Coke, then I have no idea what to say to that.

I don't think it has anything to do with being entitled. It has to do with not drinking something you don't happen to like the taste of.

Personally I hate coffee, tea, beer and wine - they taste horrid to me. I also only drink Mountain Dew when it comes to sodas, and will rarely drink something like a Sprite. I don't care for the dark colored sodas, so no Pepsi, no Coke, No Dr. Pepper, no Rootbeer. Some people also can't have caffeine or shouldn't have caffeine. So there are lots more reasons that someone may not like a product, that in no way, shape or form makes some entitled.

OK, I've kept my patience while you eco-warriors have made crack after crack about bottled water, but enough.

For a variety of reasons, my husband and I chose not to have kids. Sure we recycle, eat local (as much as possible living in an area with 3 season agriculture), buy fuel-efficient vehicles, don't run the tap while brushing our teeth and all those little things that reduce our carbon footprint.

They are all dwarfed in terms of their environmental impact by our decision not to create more resource-using people. We could buy the biggest most inefficient plane there is and fly it constantly, landing only to refuel for the rest of our lives, and still not do as much damage to the planet as we would have by having a child.

So please -- spare me your lectures about "crimes against humanity" because I prefer bottled water to tap in some circumstances.

PS - please don't interpret this as an anti-child rant. I don't have an issue with other people's kids. And I'm not one to scowl at kids making noise by the pool, etc. They're kids having fun! I'm just sick of self-important people who feel they need to make comments like the one quoted.

With all due respect, you are entitled to your view of life, but I think the most important thing that I have done in my life was have children.

If everyone took your position, the human race would disappear.

I do agree with you that tap water has worked just fine for me for 68 years.

No,

We do bring water on board, the wife and kids like to have it in the room. It will end up just buying it on board for 10x the price, that is a bummer. But not a deal breaker :)

So instead of people trying to smuggle alcohol on board now, there may be underground water smuggling. Lol... Way to create problems for themselves.

With all due respect, you are entitled to your view of life, but I think the most important thing that I have done in my life was have children.

If everyone took your position, the human race would disappear.

I do agree with you that tap water has worked just fine for me for 68 years.

If our siblings hadn't had more than enough kids to help ensure the survival of the race, we might have thought differently. As things turned out, we're able to give our sibs, nieces and nephews assistance we couldn't if we had our own kids.

Yes; Platinum Latitudes cruiser and am most definitely considering other options including land based vacations. Not only because of the change in being able to bring on water/soda, but because of ALL of the recent changes. I view this as an unstable product and I am too much of a control freak regarding my vacation plans to roll with it......especially with changes being made after final payment.

20 cruises with them and NCL probably won't even notice when I'm gone....

Please read this entire post to get what this is about.

I am asking this because there are MANY of us (including myself, a Latitudes Platinum) that have stood by Norwegian as all these changes rolled out. We have said time and time again how they do not affect us, and witnessed others complain.

Now, I will freely admit that this does NOT directly impact me, as my wife and I always sail in cabins that have included the UBP, and prefer Pepsi if we drink soda (which is very rarely).

However, it is making me question more than ever what other motives are behind the changes (the security screening 'story' is BS), and what else is coming down the pipeline.

DW and I have a cruise coming up in October, and three more booked with Norwegian after that. Needless to say, I saw the change on the Ts and Cs...

We have been looking on and off at MSC for some time now, and saw that they had a new ship coming to Miami when we had an NCL booking. So needless to say, we booked a Yacht Club cabin on MSC Seaside. We figured we'd give them a go in Europe as well on Splendida, as they are basically kingpin there. If we didn't really care for them, it'd still be a great experience ;). Not to mention that the Yacht Club was considerably less than The Haven, which has been reported here before.

I am not saying DW and I will ACTUALLY leave Norwegian, but this may backfire on them, as there are MANY people that will not drink Pepsi. But with us, it gave me enough of a push to actually give MSC a shot. If we like the Yacht Club, we may take our business there instead...and we LIKE Pepsi!!

I think that it is an excellent move by NCL, and it has no impact whatsoever on most of their passengers. There are vocal few on CC that are making a big deal about nothing.

In my 7 NCL cruises I have never brought my own beverages onboard. Never had a reason to. I drink almost exclusively water and am happy to refill my reusable bottle (from a clean cup) at the buffet dispenser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk