Cruise Fiction Books

"Celia Garth" written by Gwen Bristow in 1959 is a historical fiction Novel set in Charlestown, S.C during the American Revolution War. It is a classic. The Movie "The Patriot" starring Mel Gibson, might not have been credited as being the source for the script of that movie...........but. See the Movie. Read the Book. Both Excellent

" Celia Garth, we follow the life of a 20 year old seamstress. Celia goes back and forth between a Charleston townhouse and a plantation on the outskirts of town, and we receive a look at what it was like to live during the Revolution. The book ties in many historically documented facts including Francis Marion and his men, the British bombardment of Charleston, the siege of Charleston, British atrocities to plantations, the rebel spy network, actual battles and many famous military leaders. It is fascinating to read how Charlestonians were forced by Patriot troops to give up all their food supplies (except for rice), causing townsfolk to starve. Life was definitely not easy.

It is also fun to read about sites that are still in Charleston, and how they figured in the struggle. St. Michael's Church steeple was painted black to make it harder for British warships to see. Also, Patriots stored over 10,000 pounds of gunpowder in the basement of the Old Exchange building so that it would not fall into Loyalists hands. The British never did find it-even after they took control of the city and the Exchange Building."

Review on Amazon. REMEMBER it was written in 1959. Celia is not wealthy. Far from it. But slavery did exist then. It has been a long time since I read it. I do not remember it being racist in any way. I remember her living more in that slave world than in the Landowner world. It is not political. But it was 1959. The British were the enemy. Everyone else was sort on the same side. Everyone in Charlestown was trying to get out and/or stay alive. I AM going back and reading it. Look in Library.Used bookstore. Thank you for making me remember that book. EXCELLENT WRITER. . I remember wanting to go to Charleston and see all of those places. READ some more reviews. Then.............go find it if you still want to read it. IT is PACKED with historical stuff about Charlestown.

Edited by AmberTeka

ANOTHER old classic is " A Woman Named Fancy". it was written by Frank Yerby in the fifties. He was African American. He wrote romance novels that were very clean for today, but somewhat racy then because they involved mixed race thwarted love stories...and........Fancy worked as a lady of the Evening. NO Details. Just how her Mother sold her to a brothel to give her a chance in life. If a Rich Man was taken by her beauty, he would set her up in New Orleans Society. Very Light Skinned Mulatto People were a separate class and many often crossed the color line. Very traumatic. Had to leave family and friends behind.

Fancy is a good woman. Spirited. Yerby only "came out" as African American in his later years. I read every book he wrote. HE is a page turner. And you learn a lot about New Orleans. History. It was written in the fifties. Time was different. But as he was African American ( And STARTED the Romance Genre in my opinion), African Americans were pretty much strong characters who struggled against odds. BUT Focus in Story was Romance in Old New Orleans. And how a young girl named Fancy became a rich, famous Madam.....and there is NO explicit Sex. No One wrote about that in 50's. Implied..but then fades to ................I mean that is how she got rich. And is she betrayed? Goodness. A heart wringer. You can tell. I was and am a Great Fan. This thread is WONDERFUL Now I am going to try to find some of Frank Yerby's Old Novels. BUY a big box of Tissues. You are going to need them. But I will give you a Hint.............No one keeps Fancy down for long. She is a Survivor and a good hearted woman.

Edited by AmberTeka

AND if you sail out of Jacksonville. Or Florida. You want to read the books of Eugenia Price. Her historical Novels are meticulously researched ;

"Don Juan McQueen" is set in Spanish Florida during Revolution Days. St. Augustine is much mentioned. MOST of the sites mentioned in the Novel Still exist. Florida was a hot bed of escaped slaves, ( Spanish were much more race tolerant) pirates, angry Indians, criminals from USA, murderers, thieves, cut throats.. War with Seminoles still going on in this Novel.

Features. Fleming Island. St. Augustine. Fort Caroline. Jacksonville. LOVE story. Gripping. She is a great writer. I SPENT a Year going to all of the places she writes about. BEST Historical Fiction writer out there.

"Beloved Invader" by E.Price. St. Simon's Island. the Haven of the rich and famous ( Cumberland Island is where John Kennedy Jr. Married,,can take a ferry there. National Park but has hotel.) A New York Yankee Preacher comes to the South. His wife, much beloved dies. He marries again, to a woman who loves him but always takes a back seat to the First Wife. Just a wonderful Book. YOU will Go to St. Simons and look for the Grave. He is buried with BOTH wives in the Episcopal Church up there.

"Margaret's Story is Jacksonville. Fleming Island. Seminole Wars. Civil War. After the War, how plantation was turned into Hotel for Yankees to spend the winter. Ships came down the Coast, then St. Johns River and stayed until the Spring. Ruins still stand. Some slaves stayed with the Fleming Family ( one of the first Governors of Florida) and they were given grants of land surrounding the Island. In time......that land became very valuable as Fleming Island is now a very nice place to live. The old African American Church still stand. Margaret's Church still stands. she was a second wife. Her husband only learned to love her. He built the church for her. it is the Oldest Church in that part of Florida. WONDERFUL books. History...real history...........written as great Fiction.

She has others. These 3 are my favorites. And now thanks to this thread.....I am going to READ them again. What a WONDERFUL Thread. Or so I think.

Happy sails and happy reading to All of You, My fellow book lovers!!!

Edited by AmberTeka

• 1 year later...

I am currently ready Passenger 23. The woman in cabin 10 is a good read as well. I am also loving the suggestions. On my first Cruise in the 80's I was reading "Raise the Titanic"!!

My suggestions for those who like crime/thriller would definitely include David Baldacci , Michael Connolly, and Jonathan Kellerman If you like dark , twisted with a hint of the supernatural then I thoroughly recommend John Connolly ‘s Charlie Parker series of books

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question not "cruise book" related. I am a huge fan of James Patterson's Alex Cross, Women's Murder Club and Private series. As well as David Baldacci's King & Maxwell and John Puller works. Looking for recommendations for authors who write in the same crime, mystery genre. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Try John Sandford. Never met a book of his that I didn't like.

Hi all! ~ I'll chime in too :)

Although not "cruise themed" ...absolutely anything written by CARL HIAASEN. I have been on deck reading and on more than one occasion busted out in laughter. The guy has a great style. If you enjoy wit and humor......his books are for you. :)

Just google "Carl Hiaasen sample" and that will give you some insight regarding his style.

Safe travels to all! :)

A nice easy "Chick Lit" read was "Here Come the Girl" by Millie Johnson. 4 school friends that plan get together to take a cruise before they are 40.

https://www.amazon.com/Here-Come-Girls-Milly-Johnson-ebook/dp/B008RPFKXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1472283390&sr=1-1&keywords=here+comes+the+girls#nav-subnav

Love this book have reread it several times, she has also written 'Here Comes the Boys' ( a short story about a woman who misses the ship at a port of call and her journey to rejoin it!) and 'Ladies Who Launch' it's sequel also a short story

Summer at Sea by Beth Labonte is about a single girl who goes on a Boston-Bermuda cruise on NCL. The book is seriously laugh out loud funny.

I have been on the Boston- Bermuda cruise and it was fun following their adventures on the pink buses, mopeds of Bermuda and all the cruise antics.

Wish I could find another book just like this one!

For those interested in romance, Andrew Grey has some earlier titles that take place in part on a cruise (An Unexpected Vintage is one), and Dirk Greyson has an action series where one has a cruise ship as the setting for some of the action (Day and Knight).

Summer at Sea by Beth Labonte is about a single girl who goes on a Boston-Bermuda cruise on NCL. The book is seriously laugh out loud funny.

I have been on the Boston- Bermuda cruise and it was fun following their adventures on the pink buses, mopeds of Bermuda and all the cruise antics.

Wish I could find another book just like this one!

I think you would like "Here Comes the Girls"

Nelson DeMille is a great thriller writer. His dialogue is fantastic. I can't remember the name of his latest but it takes place in Cuba. It would make a great read on a cruise.

The Cuban Affair. I just finished reading that. Very good read. There was a lot of really interesting historical information in it too. Not exactly a cruise theme per se but there is a fishing boat involved!

Hi all! ~ I'll chime in too :)

Although not "cruise themed" ...absolutely anything written by CARL HIAASEN. I have been on deck reading and on more than one occasion busted out in laughter. The guy has a great style. If you enjoy wit and humor......his books are for you. :)

Just google "Carl Hiaasen sample" and that will give you some insight regarding his style.

Safe travels to all! :)

Skinny Dip is somewhat cruise themed. The husband tosses the wife overboard. Quite a good book!

For something nautical, The Terror by dan simmons. Not about a cruise, but historical fiction about an expedition to find the northwest passage - it's based on a real exploratory trip, but with some supernatural elements thrown in. I usually find historical fiction a snooze, but this was one of the best books I've ever read, and there's lots of cool info about ocean travel in the 1800s.

For mysteries in the vein of gone girl or girl on the train, i like tana french's dublin murder squad series. The first one is In The Woods. I would read them in order because they are loosely related. My husband who loves the connelly books also loves robert crais.