What's your best thing ever?

dodgersmom

We started with inside cabins and had some great cruises with tiny rooms, got engaged in one. then some twenty or thirty cruise later went to balconies, then after another 15 or so mini-suites, last 4 in GS last cruise 12 day Europe in a AFT GS. also did see lava flow in Hawaii after dinner, very cool

FUN thread :)

I've had so many best things ever cruising, but the bestest best thing (yes, I am aware that is terrible grammar) was my very first cruise aboard the Celebrity Century in 2000. We were seated at a 10 top with a crazy, fun, lovely group of sisters from Texas, also sailing for the first time. Those ladies have become lifelong friends and we make regular trips to visit them. That cruise is special for that reason and the Century was just a wonderful vessel in general.

I'll find another best thing ever on my upcoming Allure sailing, I'm certain :D

Thanks for the cheerful post, dodgersmom!

-Heather

First would be our honeymoon -- it didn't make a damned bit of difference what cabin we were in, it was VACATION and we were on the open water. The fact that the cabin had a balcony made it extra special.

Second would be the first -- and to date only -- time we ever had a Grand Suite. We wouldn't do it again today, as the cost vs benefit didn't really make sense to us, but it was nice to be spoiled.

Third would be the time we took our daughter on her first cruise when she was 18 months old. All she could say was "Cool!" and wanted to spend every morning on the balcony, and then playing with her new friends at the Royal Tots program.

Lastly would be the three or four times we had true Aft Facing balcony staterooms. The cabins are the same size as regular D1 cabins, but the Balconies are *HUGE*. Nothing like having a lounge chair and enjoying breakfast whilst watching the ships wake.

Michael and Silke

First Cruise 1991. American Hawaii Cruise Lines on the SS Constitution. Approximately 30,000 GT...man can life get any better than this.

Second Cruise 1994. Celebrity Zenith. Approximately 48,000 GT...man how are we going to find our way around the massive ship.

But the best thing for us is we get to Cruise at least twice a year. The size of the ship really doesn't matter. We always have a great time on our Cruises. We always meet some really nice people. Other Cruisers and staff alike.

Edited by davekathy

Our first cruise was almost 14 years ago, on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan. We were hooked. Just 6 weeks later, we took our 2 grown (19 & 21) kids with us. Best vacation ever, was on Explorer with 2 inside cabins, a week to the Western Caribbean.

Now, our best experience was just this year, a 14 night on Celebrity Infinity, booked an inside, and was able to upgrade to a Concierge aft balcony, and we sailed out of Buenos Aires, to Brazil and Uruguay, with 3 nights docked in Rio during Carnival!!

Every cruise is great... best ever....have many:

Upgraded a couple of times: full suite on HAL Statendam, 10 days Carribean; upgrade to royal suite on Celebrity 10 days Mexico.

First Mediterranean cruise from Venice to London on the Royal Cruise line, back in l989... expensive, could only afford a limited view cabin... but each and every port were fantastic... will never forget going the straits of Gilbrater... with Spain on one side and Morocco on the other at night, seeing the lights.

Cruising to Egypt on tne Royal Princess...

A Balltic cruise in l997, visiting St Petersburg, Gadnst Poland

Cruising opens up the world to us with ease.

Watching my DD, 24 at the time, reddish blond hair and blue eyes, singing Karaoke in Japanese, to the utter astonishment of the Japanese passengers :D

on a cruise out of Yokohama.

They gave her a standing ovation.

Lois

First cruise - to Alaska for 25th anniversary followed by week of driving around - best vacation ever

First TA - Miami to London - new best vacation ever

First Caribbean cruise (paid for by Dad for their 60th anniversary) with my brothers and out spouses. Best memories ever.

Second TA - Miami to Rome + three days in Rome at end. new best vacation ever

Next is Alaska again and out 1st Inside cabin (dark!) - hoping best sleep ever on a cruise.

Best meal(s) on a ship - back when RCCL had Portofino as the Italian restaurant and had the amazing seafood skewer.

Free upgrade from balcony cabin on one Princess ship to a panoramic aft full suite on the then brand new Ruby Princess. This was the upgrade fairy at her very best. It was an amazing experience but one I probably will never be able to afford to purchase.

my very first cruise aboard the Celebrity Century

She was my first, too. I'll never forget seeing her for the first time; I was flabbergasted at the sheer size. I was blessed with fabulous tablemates, too, and promptly fell in love for life with cruising. Thanks for those lovely memories, Heather!

Caro

I see most have responded that the best cruise ever was dependent on cabin class. Of course having a bigger better cabin is nice, but what makes a Best Cruise for me is the ports of call. I've enjoyed 4 different cruise lines in inside to Celebrity Aqua class hump balcony, and truly enjoyed them all. I'm usually not spending much time in the cabin....But the ports of call!!! ...that makes my best cruise experiences!

South America Buenos Aires to Valpariso

Mediterranean Barcelona, Rome, Cairo

Holy Land Jerusalem

Northern Europe Amsterdam, St Petersburg

Adriatic Venice, Dubrovnik

Really hard to pick one Best Cruise Ever

2006 our first family cruise. Kids in cabin next door. Best thing ever.

2008 first "Adult Swim" No kids. Best thing ever. :D

2009 unplanned family cruise with friends. All 3 families ended up on the same ship by chance. :D

2010 First balcony.

2011 First concierge class cabin.

2013 Zip lining through the jungle in Costa Rica excursion. BEST Excursion ever!

2015 America's cup yacht race in St. Maarten. 2nd best excursion ever.

2017 ABC islands. I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Can't wait for that to be the best thing ever. :)

So far, my best thing ever (cruise related), was this past July when we had a cabana in HMC. The most relaxing, heavenly day I have ever had in my whole entire life. It will be hard to ever top that day, if it's possible at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with the other poster that cabin category is not important to me. I cruise for the ports.

Best thing ever for me was my first cruise with Voyages to Antiquity in their inaugural season in 2010. The cruise included a pre-cruise tour in Egypt (Cairo, then Luxor), then we boarded ship in Safaga, visited St. Catherine's monastery in the desert, transited the Suez canal, stopped in Beirut and Syria (with an INCLUDED overnight in Palmyra), and had further stops in Cyprus and Antalya Turkey (one of my favorite towns) before ending in Athens.

It was wonderful and, looking back, I am so happy that I took the plunge and went to Syria when it was still possible. So much of what we saw is now gone...

I only wish I had stayed on for the following cruise, which visited Libya -- also now an impossibility.

Best cruise memory ever was on the Sea Cloud 2;

My late father in law was sitting under one of the sails as we headed toward Tobago, having the time of his life. He was so sun burned, and so thoroughly delighted.

We had just lost my mother in law, and after this my father in law's dementia prevented him from further travel. It was a great moment, on an admittedly gorgeous ship.

My father in law passed long ago. That marriage has ended. I have traveled and cruised since. But, nothing tops that memory.