Hurricane's A-Coming!

butterfly529

You are correct if you want to split hairs. We do have a Cruise booked in September. Huge factor here it's not in the Caribbean. When was the last time a hurricane ripped through BC, Washington, Oregon and California.? That's my September Cruise not the Caribbean. The OPs thread was about hurricane Matthew which is in the Caribbean and not the West Coast. My post #4 I didn't say "Caribbean" because that was a given (for most but looks like not all) based on the OPs thread about hurricane Matthew which is in the Caribbean. That's why in post #11 that you quoted I said and made clear "Yes, that's why we elect not to Cruise the Caribbean in September". For those that book a Caribbean Cruise during hurricane season good for them. Their choice. Just deal with what Mother Nature is going to throw at then. No weather guarantees no matter where you Cruise or what time of year.

Perhaps, next time you need to be more precise your statement. Your statement said "That is why we don't cruise during hurricane season". Which is false, because you obviously do.

Don't be upset when people call you out for grammar or falseness on this site..

Jeepers what a thread this has turned into :eek: I am just hoping anyone who is cruising during Hurricane Matthew is safe as well as the people on the islands.

As am I. Some ships have already changed itineraries, and airlines are asking patrons to check there flight status early..

Same here! September/October has become our favorite time of the year to cruise.

Have a great time on Adventure! :)

Thank You! Living in Houston, for us Cruising the summer months in the southern ports for me is just too hot & humid. We love the fall months. But each has their on desires & pleasures. I'm just not sure why some just don't understand this. When & where others take a cruise is meaningless to us, & then to think their opinions matter is what I identify as an imature cruiser. I'm getting on a ship tomorrow & im happy! That's really all that matters!

Jeepers what a thread this has turned into :eek: I am just hoping anyone who is cruising during Hurricane Matthew is safe as well as the people on the islands.

Me too.

I was not on a cruise ship during Hurricane Katrina, but it turned out to have a major impact on my life, and I am so glad we were able to evacuate prior to landfall. I appreciate how we had control over that part at least.

People make their own choices for whatever reasons; and for me-

I don't plan on ever cruising during hurricane season.

Chicken littles I tell you! We enjoy Oct cruises! We're in SAN JUAN right now sitting on hotel balcony enjoying a beautiful sunshine morning. Headed to the pool bar after a bit for you guessed it.... Hurricanes 🍹🛳 We board the Adventure tomorrow 😋

We will be on her next week so don't let them wreck it! Lol

Sent from my LG-H811 using Forums mobile app

We sail the same week in Oct every year because it falls on a school vacation for my wife who teaches. We normally book southern routs and have never yet ( knock on wood ) had weather problems. Actualy our single " peak season" cruise provided us with much worse weather than anyting we have ever experienced in Oct.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Forums mobile app

Leaving in 3 days for the Bahamas on the Majesty of the Seas. Just realizing the weather now. Gonna hope for the best. Its when my son's fall break is & I like to cruise with my family. Hoping that all goes well.

Wishing your family and all of our fellow cruisers a safe and enjoyable cruise vacation!!:) Adding this wish to my morning prayer this week!!;)

Based on Matthew now intensifying to become a Cat 5 hurricane, and the path unknown for certain...many of the Caribbean cruises over the next 5 days are likely scampering.

It would not be surprising to see complete cruise cancellations, course changes, and re-routes based on the size and scale of the storm.

Best advice...check the weather reports frequently and announcements from the cruise line (including their website).

Based on Matthew now intensifying to become a Cat 5 hurricane, and the path unknown for certain...many of the Caribbean cruises over the next 5 days are likely scampering.

It would not be surprising to see complete cruise cancellations, course changes, and re-routes based on the size and scale of the storm.

Best advice...check the weather reports frequently and announcements from the cruise line (including their website).

...and add in checking airlines as well...some will be impacted over the next week as Matthew moves North...

From ABC ....

A strengthening Hurricane Matthew whipped at Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao early Friday as it passed north of the islands on a rare track through a part of the Caribbean that RARELY sees such storms.

Notice the wording of RARELY

Yes.. I see you have an opinion with TWO.. count them TWO TOTAL cruises in Sept/Oct, in the past.... during just the past two years. It's certainly no reason to be a jerk to someone who is just stating they aren't comfortable taking the risk.

There may be no "right or wrong"...but there is historical data that demonstrates increased risks not everyone would be willing to take.

Hopefully you get to enjoy your cruise - no one is wishing anything less.

It is definitely a risk, I have only taken two myself during this time... I have one coming up in 6 days, and even though I think I am safe from Matthew, there is still time for another to pop up... makes me nervous.

Perhaps, next time you need to be more precise your statement. Your statement said "That is why we don't cruise during hurricane season". Which is false, because you obviously do.

Don't be upset when people call you out for grammar or falseness on this site..

Yeah.. except after post #11, people calling him/her out just looks silly. Either they cannot comprehend, or just like to be a jerk. I'm guessing the latter.

love to cruise this time of year. just got off the adventure and two ports were cancel. went back to st. martin. went to st Croix and st Thomas. everyday we were in port. seas were a little rocky, still wont stop me for cruising in sep

Based on the most recent reports on Hurricane Matthew:

1) While some people have underestimated the impact of Hurricane Matthew, many Caribbean cruise itineraries (and even some airline flights) will be impacted to some degree

2) Some cruise itineraries will be changed in terms of destination ports

3) Labadee is definitely at risk, both in terms of short term itinerary changes, as well as potential longer-term damage from this significant storm

4) The East Coast ports could all see varying degrees of storm impact over the next week - wind, rain, etc.

5) The flooding on several islands (St. Lucia and Barbados are just 2 examples) point to the far-reaching geographical impact of this hurricane beyond just the "path zone". Significant damage has already been seen in advance of Matthew approaching more populated areas.

6) Some cruises departing even next weekend could be impacted as well.

Matthew.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Forgot to mention that people with cruises coming up over the next 10 days or underway during that timeframe should check their cruise line website for any announcements, and also make sure they have their contact information current in their profiles so that any text notifications/emails can be quickly received.

There is a "LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION" banner link at the top of the royal Caribbean website that includes the most current information on cruise changes.

This was posted as of yesterday afternoon:

Hurricane Matthew Weather Update

October 2, 2016

1:00p.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Matthew to ensure guests have an enjoyable and comfortable cruise. Given the storm’s current location and projected path, we are rerouting some of our ships to ensure the safety of our guests and crew.

Allure of the Seas

Allure of the Seas will be able to visit its original ports of call however, we are modifying her call dates and times. Allure of Seas revised itinerary:

Sunday, Oct. 2 - Depart from Port Everglades, Florida at 4:30 p.m.

Monday, Oct. 3 - At Sea

Tuesday, Oct. 4 - Cozumel, Mexico at 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 5 - At Sea

Thursday, Oct. 6 - Falmouth, Jamaica at 7:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7 - Labadee, Haiti at 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 8 - At sea

Sunday, Oct. 9 - Arriva at Port Everglades, Florida at 6:15 a.m.

Freedom of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas will now be calling on San Juan, Puerto instead of her scheduled call to CocoCay, Bahamas. Freedom of the Seas revised itinerary:

Sunday, Oct. 2 - Depart from Port Canaveral at 4:30 p.m.

Monday, Oct. 3 - At sea

Tuesday, Oct. 4 - San Juan, Puerto Rico at 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 5 - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas at 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 6 - Philipsburg, St. Maarten at 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7 - At sea

Saturday, Oct. 8 - At sea

Sunday, Oct. 9 - Arrive at Port Canaveral, Florida at 6:00 a.m.

Enchantment of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas will not be able to call to either port in the Bahamas. Instead Enchantment of the Seas will now call to Cozumel, Mexico. Enchantment of Seas revised itinerary:

Monday, Oct. 3 - Depart from Port Miami, Florida at 4:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 4 - At sea

Wednesday, Oct. 5 - Cozumel, Mexico at 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 6 - Key West, Florida at 1:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7 - Arrive at Port Miami, Florida at 7:00 a.m.

Majesty of the Seas

We are rerouting Majesty of the Seas. Majesty will now call to Key West, Florida, instead of her scheduled call to Nassau, Bahamas. Majesty of the Seas revised itinerary:

Monday, Oct. 3 - Port Canaveral, Florida at 4:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 4 - At sea

Wednesday, Oct. 5 - Key West, Florida at 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 6 - CocoCay, Bahamas at 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7 - Port Canaveral, Florida at 7:00 a.m.

Royal Caribbean International will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will provide updates as soon as they become available.

Just by looking at the NHC graph for wind speed those traveling to Key West and Coco Cay on Thursday and Friday may experience some hefty winds if she passes any closer to the west in the cone.

Looking at the map with the timeline of the storm, I find it hard to believe that RCI has plans to stop at CocoCay on Thursday. Just my opinion.

I hope everyone has a safe and fun cruise.

My husband and I began cruising during September/October a few years ago.

Thinking about our next cruise, which is the Harmony of the Seas transatlantic. Has anyone ever been on one of these cruises while a hurricane was in the North Atlantic? I understand they could sail north, or away from the direction of the storm, or even delay sailing from our last port in Spain, but it's not like we can exactly switch around ports when we have 9 straight sea days. Just curious if anyone's experienced this.