Hurricane's A-Coming!

butterfly529

We are supposed to fly to Fort Lauderdale this Sunday evening. Our cruise leaves for western Caribbean on Sun Oct 16th.

For those following the storm more closely (and have more experience with such storms) should we expect any issues with flying in on Sunday evening? We have a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale should we expect any issues there?

We are supposed to fly to Fort Lauderdale this Sunday evening. Our cruise leaves for western Caribbean on Sun Oct 16th.

For those following the storm more closely (and have more experience with such storms) should we expect any issues with flying in on Sunday evening? We have a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale should we expect any issues there?

Wouldn't you ask the airline and the hotel, of course we could speculate

Wouldn't you ask the airline and the hotel, of course we could speculate

We can't really ask them anything now days before it is supposed to hit. We obviously will be asking them right before we leave. I am asking for some people, as noted in my post, who have some experience with these storms to speculate. We come from an area that is far from any such storms we don't know what to expect at all. A few posts above people are commenting that Port Canaveral might be hit hard enough to move ships to other ports. They seem to have some understanding of how storms may affect these areas. So I am asking them if they have any info for me based on what they have been reading.

There is just no way for anyone here to have any idea what things will be like on Sunday night in Florida. Watch the weather/news reports and ongoing posts here later in the week, but asking here on Tuesday what will be happening next Sunday isn't going to get you any worthwhile information. I would also watch the roll call here for your specific cruise. And of course the RCCL website.

We can't really ask them anything now days before it is supposed to hit. We obviously will be asking them right before we leave. I am asking for some people, as noted in my post, who have some experience with these storms to speculate. We come from an area that is far from any such storms we don't know what to expect at all. A few posts above people are commenting that Port Canaveral might be hit hard enough to move ships to other ports. They seem to have some understanding of how storms may affect these areas. So I am asking them if they have any info for me based on what they have been reading.

Your hotel will be closed, no power

All flights cancelled

No taxi, streets flooded

Restaurants closed

No phone service

We can tighten that list up once it's actually known where the hurricane is going

Edited by setsail

True, who knows what Port Canaveral will be like after the storm passes. She might end up in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Probably better than CocoCay, the latest track has Matthew going almost directly over it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Haiti is taking the brunt of the storm this morning. I don't see how any ships will be able to visit there in the next couple weeks. There will be massive damage. This storm is not moving very fast so that will have a huge impact on damage.

Those people must be horrified. Praying for them.

Edited by SAS21

We're on pins and needles here on the coast of SC. This is the biggest storm to head our way in many years!

Top that off - our cruise is supposed to leave Port Canaveral the day after it is projected to hit our coast. :eek:

We are also very concerned about the devastation to Haiti and Jamaica. Very sad and horrible for those in the path. We are able to get in our car and leave unlike the folks who live in the path in the Caribbean.

We are also on the 10/9 Freedom cruise and wondering how, if any, this will affect our sailing. We're leaving from Indianapolis at the crack of dawn Saturday morning.

We are also on the 10/9 Freedom cruise and wondering how, if any, this will affect our sailing. We're leaving from Indianapolis at the crack of dawn Saturday morning.

Go to the site below and chat with cruisers going on the Freedom the same week as you!!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214133&page=11

Of course no on can say for certain.

If the storm stays on path the forecast is showing warm and sunny skies Saturday and Sunday. Assuming no damage to the airport or hotel both should be open.

Whispering a prayer for our friends on Haiti....

It's not about whether the island will be "ok" for your ship to stop there for the day, it is about these poor folks who have to rebuild again..... My heart goes out to those citizens and their families :(

It's not about whether the island will be "ok" for your ship to stop there for the day, it is about these poor folks who have to rebuild again..... My heart goes out to those citizens and their families :(

Amen!

There will probably be numerous cruises and flights cancelled or changed. Some cruise ports may sustain significant damage requiring repairs.

That's the least of it all as you correctly point out.

Not rebuild again. There were still people living in tents from the earthquake and that happened in 2010. They never recovered back then.

Haiti is taking the brunt of the storm this morning. I don't see how any ships will be able to visit there in the next couple weeks. There will be massive damage. This storm is not moving very fast so that will have a huge impact on damage.

Those people must be horrified. Praying for them.

Labadee itself is on the north shore with the storm approaching from the south. Of all places in Haiti, it might be suffer the least damage, but mud slides could be a big issue. We will have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see ships show up as soon as possible.

I think that's what's bothering me the most about it. To me, I think it would be in extremely poor taste to roll up in a cruise ship to an island that has just been destroyed by a hurricane. I can't even begin to imagine what those poor people of Haiti are going to be dealing with. It's not a matter of can you go, but, rather, should you. If they are bringing supplies, that is one thing. But, to show up as a stop for people on board to exit the ship & tour the island is something else entirely.