Hurricane's A-Coming!

butterfly529

Haiti is taking the brunt of the storm this morning. I don't see how any ships will be able to visit there in the next couple weeks. There will be massive damage. This storm is not moving very fast so that will have a huge impact on damage.

Those people must be horrified. Praying for them.

Sadly it's going to be bad, the storm surge will be significant at labadee but the deforestation to supply wood for fuel is going to cause lots of mud slides and that may be the worst problem. May want to look at the Red Cross for donations.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think that's what's bothering me the most about it. To me, I think it would be in extremely poor taste to roll up in a cruise ship to an island that has just been destroyed by a hurricane. I can't even begin to imagine what those poor people of Haiti are going to be dealing with. It's not a matter of can you go, but, rather, should you. If they are bringing supplies, that is one thing. But, to show up as a stop for people on board to exit the ship & tour the island is something else entirely.

Yes, it would be better to stay away and deprive the local people of their income source for a few weeks.........:rolleyes:

Not only do the ships bring supplies but they pay millions of dollars to the government for the right to dock there. The government welcomes the ships. Not counting the locals who work there and in turn pump their money into the local Econ.

Yes, it would be better to stay away and deprive the local people of their income source for a few weeks.........:rolleyes:

I was actually questioning whether it made sense to show up this week. Only a couple of days after the storm has hit. Never did I mention not showing up for weeks. But, that's cute how you tried to put words in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Definitely not a sailing I'd want to be aboard. Perhaps they will get a pass on Jones Act requirements and bus some folks who have to be back on Friday up the coast, not that buses on 95 in such weather seems highly sensible either...perhaps they go to Tampa running new pax to Tampa and offloading "old" pax off to PC via bus. I'm sure they have folks on shifts looking at the logistics for all these options right now.

They will certainly get a pass, but it won't be on the Jones Act, which deals with freight vessels, it will he on the Passenger Vessel Services Act, or PVSA.

Hurricane & tropical storm watches issued for much of Florida coast:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/153536.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Florida's port/shore forecasts seem to be getting uglier with each passing hour when it comes to Hurricane Matthew. Just heard about the state of emergency decrees in Florida and North Carolina both. :eek::eek::eek:

I was actually questioning whether it made sense to show up this week. Only a couple of days after the storm has hit. Never did I mention not showing up for weeks. But, that's cute how you tried to put words in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Point taken. I guess I was thinking back to the earthquake when the media made RCCL out as some dark evil thing for going anywhere near Labadee for a while.

Hurricane Matthew's core has moved back over water after passing over southwest Haiti. Latest recon showed a closed eyewall with winds at 120 mph at the surface and 146 mph only 1000ft above the sea surface. The damage in that part of Haiti must have been catastrophic. Hope aid reaches them quickly

Chicken littles I tell you! We enjoy Oct cruises! We're in SAN JUAN right now sitting on hotel balcony enjoying a beautiful sunshine morning. Headed to the pool bar after a bit for you guessed it.... Hurricanes We board the Adventure tomorrow

When I booked the Aug. 25th Anthem cruise to NE/Canada there was a bit of concern that we could be dealing with a hurricane or Nor'Eastern storms. To our surprise, the waters for the entire length of our cruise was very calm and as calm as the Carib. However, the next cruise to Bermuda they went thru a terrible storm.

Florida's port/shore forecasts seem to be getting uglier with each passing hour when it comes to Hurricane Matthew. Just heard about the state of emergency decrees in Florida and North Carolina both. :eek::eek::eek:

Here is a snipet from the Cocoa Beach (PC) hurricane watch.

Hurricane Watch issued October 04 at 11:25AM EDT until further notice by NWS Melbourne

Northern Brevard County

UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: EXTREME

- EMERGENCY PLANNING SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR

MAJOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND GREATER THAN 110 MPH OF

EQUIVALENT CATEGORY 3 INTENSITY OR HIGHER.

- TO BE SAFE, AGGRESSIVELY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF

DEVASTATING WIND IMPACTS. EFFORTS SHOULD NOW BE UNDERWAY

TO SECURE ALL PROPERTIES.

- EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING WIND IS POSSIBLE.

FAILURE TO ADEQUATELY SHELTER MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY,

LOSS OF LIFE, OR IMMENSE HUMAN SUFFERING.

MJ will be right in the thick of it on Thursday if she comes up the coast. :eek:

This may be a dumb question but I know when we visited Roatan (maybe Cozumel, I can't remember), people brought school supplies for locals. Like this was something they did every time they came and there was a place set up for them to bring their donation. Does Labadee have anything like that? We're sailing in two weeks and I'm sure people on our roll call would love to help bring any items we could that might help that would fit in our bags (if we still go there).

Here is a snipet from the Cocoa Beach (PC) hurricane watch.

Hurricane Watch issued October 04 at 11:25AM EDT until further notice by NWS Melbourne

Northern Brevard County

UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: EXTREME

- EMERGENCY PLANNING SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR

MAJOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND GREATER THAN 110 MPH OF

EQUIVALENT CATEGORY 3 INTENSITY OR HIGHER.

- TO BE SAFE, AGGRESSIVELY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF

DEVASTATING WIND IMPACTS. EFFORTS SHOULD NOW BE UNDERWAY

TO SECURE ALL PROPERTIES.

- EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING WIND IS POSSIBLE.

FAILURE TO ADEQUATELY SHELTER MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY,

LOSS OF LIFE, OR IMMENSE HUMAN SUFFERING.

MJ will be right in the thick of it on Thursday if she comes up the coast. :eek:

Wishing all our friends in the path our best wishes!

I think that's what's bothering me the most about it. To me, I think it would be in extremely poor taste to roll up in a cruise ship to an island that has just been destroyed by a hurricane. I can't even begin to imagine what those poor people of Haiti are going to be dealing with. It's not a matter of can you go, but, rather, should you. If they are bringing supplies, that is one thing. But, to show up as a stop for people on board to exit the ship & tour the island is something else entirely.

Wow, so clueless! It's not all about the cruise line passengers, there is the matter of the jobs for those Haitians who depend on the money spent by passengers...so you think a double hit of the hurricane to devastate them and then their only source of income to leave would be the thing to do?!....off soap box.

Edited by BecciBoo

Wow, so clueless! It's not all about the cruise line passengers, there is the matter of the jobs for those Haitians who depend on the money spent by passengers...so you think a double hit of the hurricane to devastate them and then their only source of income to leave would be the thing to do?!....off soap box.

You think that 2 days after a hurricane hits that people who are still trying to clean up or may be dealing with injuries or possibly even worse to family members are concerned about a cruise ship not showing up for a day or 2? Really? Not only that, but as slow as this storm is moving would it even have stopped raining yet? Would those people even be able to GET to work? And if the port is a mess, would there be anything for passengers to spend their money on? I never said anything about staying away for weeks or even for more than one week. I'm talking about 2 days after a hurricane has hit.

Any care to guess what location is getting hit but has yet to be mentioned?

Nassau and Coco Cay are practically in the center of the cone as it stands now. As the center of the storm crossed a very narrow strip of land on Haiti and is expected to do the same on eastern Cuba, not much chance of significant weakening by the time it reaches Bahamas & potentially southeast US coast. Thoughts and prayers for all in the path.

Nah, nowhere near Bermuda and nowhere near the path.

Projected path, as we know they always follow a predictable path :p That said, they are much better at projecting paths than they use to be.