Warning - do not sail Celebrity with young children

Thorpeys

This quote is so wrong about being mad at the cruise line for not taking care of there children. Here in the UK firms have a duty of care and that would include a suitable amount of adults to children in childcare. This cruise line should make it clear that they do not have a policy to look after children safely.

I am surprised that the USA is so slack in child care what happens if a child has an accident who is left to look after the other children. What happens if a child gets out who is responsible, surely its the cruise line they have the duty of care. The parent leave they children there in good faith if you are offering childcare it must be done correctly.

I have no children but still feel that if they cannot look after children correctly what hope for adult guests.

How often do you hear about the dozens of kids who routinely wander away from the club and are lost at sea? Or those that sail away in life boats to start a new colony? All of these "what-ifs" are speculation, and you're buying the OP's premise wholesale. In terms of accidents, the staff would call the appropriate personnel to assist (medical, security, management) and help would be there immediately. You don't have to have physical bodies within 10 feet of a child (or adult) to receive a quick response in a closed environment like a ship at sea. See the comment about kindergarten class sizes in the US. One adult can watch a room of 15 kids easily when other resources are nearby.

Ultimately, the parents have a right to not utilize the facility if they don't like what they see.

Edited by bEwAbG

It definitely is because there are lots of children around the ship due to the poor service offered in the children's facilities.

Why would parents put other passengers and their children thru this. Not all passengers want children running amuck because they have nothing better to do and I am sure they are bored because again they have nothing better to do.

You have made the assumption we were drinking alcohol... we were not. But we do require somewhere to sit with our children.

Of all places you had to pick the Martini Bar? Why? It is crowded enough as it is and now you have to put little ones in there. What were you thinking? There are many other suitable places. The library would have been way better, the pool deck or Oceanview Cafe to name just a few. I find your choice to go to the Martini Bar amusing since you say you weren't drinking. What if someone became a little tipsy and fell on one of your children? Who would you then blame? Pick a more kid friendly cruise line next time for the sake of your kids.

Edited by ReneeFLL

+1

People on here openly recommending not to take your kids on Celebrity as they prefer not to sail with kids? Where do you get off?!

They advertise and market for families and kids club facilities so it's not unreasonable to expect those services to deliver no different to any other service onboard.

But to the OP, I'm surprised based on your knowledge and concerns that you had not better investigated these prior to sailing.

Personally my kids started using kids club a little older (7yo) and have loved every visit. My daughter has cried having to leave her wonderful carers at the end of the cruise. So seems a very different experience to what you've encountered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been cruising on Celebrity for over 20 some years and have read very few complaints about the kids club and have never read one complaint about a child escaping from the area.

The OP had the opportunity to ask questions on here about the number of attendants per child or any other concern, but the only question she asked was whether she could leave her children there while she goes ashore. Just like everything else, research is your friend.

This post makes me sad because, although my children are now grown, I have continued to tell people about our wonderful experience sailing on Celebrity with children. Our first cruise experience was with a "family" cruise line where there were just way to many kids on board. On Celebrity, there were plenty of kids to play with but not overwhelming numbers.

Admittedly, we cruised during the US summer breaks so that may have had an impact on the staffing which was usually about 2 people per age group. During some activities, the age groups might be combined thus increasing the ratio of staff to children.

Also, when the children were small, they could not leave the area without a parental signature. DH and I had to show up on the first night so both of our signatures would be on file. After a certain age, they could check themselves out.

Personally, I feel vacations are for families to be together - not reach their destination and go their separate ways. As hectic as things are these days with work, school, sports, etc., families should spend more time together, not apart.

When we took our daughter on cruise vacations, she would stay with mom and dad and we would find things to do together. Granted, we took cruises on the more "family friendly" lines, but we did things as a family and I believe our daughter enjoyed it much more than if she would have been dropped off with a bunch of others that she didn't know. With a "kids club", there's always the possibility of some kids not hitting it off, or the staff scheduling activities that might not appeal to everyone. This can make for a long week for the child.

My suggestion - DO YOUR RESEARCH - find a cruise line that will appeal to everyone in your family, then do things as a family.

We cruised celebrity for the first time this summer. There were some children on the ship but they seemed fed up and had very little to do. DH and I commented that celebrity is possibly aimed more at the adult market. We will take the grandkids ( when we have them) on RCI or Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have to admit that is a funny picture of the kids with the beer bottles.

I was in a small Iowa town once and while sitting in a local tavern, I saw a Grandma pour a little beer in a glass for her little grandchild. The tavern owner was, at that moment, getting a surprise inspection from the Iowa State Liquor Board! It may have been a set-up, like lots of people suspected, but she lost her license on the spot as soon as the child took a sip of the beer. She appealed and got her license back - after quite a bit in legal fees.

Anyhow, the Martini Bar is not a place for small children to play with their Legos. Like another poster said, the library or the card room would be much more acceptable.

Edited by Sandtrap328

I don't think the OP should assume the standards for a UK nursery, and maybe a lesson learned to make enquiries before you make a reservation. We travel with our adult disabled daughter and always make sure we confirm all those little details before we travel.

I am surprised at the intolerance shown here to families. Cruising is a great family holiday. It may be the OP wanted to keep the issue visible, but the ship wouldn't be able to whistle up an additional skilled person for this role during the cruise. However there is nothing which says children have to go to the childrens club. They are just as entitle to enjoy themselves as everyone else. We have wanted on occasion wanted to play cards in the games room as a family only to be shushed by Bridge players. We have wanted a coffee in café Baccio or a meal in the aqua café only to find them occupied by adult card players, or those wanting to read a book or sleep all day. I do think it is insulting to suggest that Disney is a fit for all families, certainly not mine! It is as insulting to suggest older people move to HAL or Saga! Can I make a plea for tolerance here!

I don't think the OP should be criticised. Certainly in the UK it is not unusual for families with children to be seen in bars and pubs.

It never ceases to amaze me at how vitriolic people can be towards other posters, in this case towards the OP. It's pretty obvious that she was not in the Martini bar during its opening hours and she has a right to be concerned about how her children are looked after.

I travel solo and prefer fewer kids on board but if I took any of relative's children with me I would be prefer that they were safe and treated well. To tell children not to play when the adults were signing in does not sound like someone who loves kids!

It never ceases to amaze me at how vitriolic people can be towards other posters, in this case towards the OP. It's pretty obvious that she was not in the Martini bar during its opening hours and she has a right to be concerned about how her children are looked after.

Yes now it is obvious it wasn't when she initially posted, she responded to all the comments later on confirming this.

Life is too short and they should now just be enjoying themselves from here on in, on the cruise, kids pick up on all these things too.

This thread will be locked in due course, so I am out!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

A few quick points. The children are not free to leave on their own unless the parents have signed paperwork to that affect AND the child is over a certain age (11 I think). When picking up a child a person authorized to pick them up must sign them out. The staff to child ratio is much better than in any school or after school care in most of the U.S.

My daughter has been part of the kids program since she was 3 (11 now) and thinks that it is fantastic. She in fact prefers it to Disney and so do some of her friends.

I don´t quite understand some of the complaints:

It´s stated cleary that it´s open house on the first night and no play time. It´s for signing up the kids and show them the area. There are no activities on the first night.

The form you have to fill in to sign up your kid does include questions for allergies and any medical problems. They also include a part where you have to fill in all people who are allowed to drop or pick up the kids (at a certain age parents can allow the kids to sign them out on their own). They usually ask for your card to prove your identity. Sure that´s no photo ID. But anyway I doubt that a 3 to 5 yo will volunatarily follow a stranger out of a kids club. That stranger would have to explain the kid why the kid should leave with him and that´s a conversation the youth staff would also be able to listen to.

The doors in the Fun Factory are locked. I´ve been on the Eclipse in 2015 and on the Silhouette in July. I´ve been to the Fun Factory on both ships (for I do take phots on the first day there for my reviews). I´ve also been on both ships when they came out. The doors can´t be opened without pressing a button or opening a lock. Nothing a kid can do.

Yes, they do put the age groups together especially if there aren´t many children onboard. But they usually do have enough staff onboard to have at least one person for each group. Knowing the Fun Factory on the Solstice Class ships the different areas for the age groups are separated but you can combine them. It´s no problem for another staff member to go over an help in a case of emergency. And they of course can call someone for help. Anyway I´m with you that 15 kids are too much for just one adult.

steamboats

You have warned parents of the potfalls of leaving there children in the Fun Factory. I am sure they will read of your experience, & react accordingly, depending on how serious to them your points are. You have done your part.

Edited by richsea

15 children age 3 - 8 doesn't really seem a problem to me. In my state, a licensed day care can have 12 children to one adult in the room of 3-year-olds. More if the children are older. The care giver had access to a phone for fast help at all times, and I'm sure help would be there within just moments if needed.

A kindergarten may have 25-30 children and one teacher, with 4-6 year olds. Not a lot of difference. In an emergency, you pick up the phone or step into the hall and yell. Been there, done that.

In the Caribbean cruises we have taken, there are often only a handful of children, usually age 3-5. They always seem to be having a grand time.

Once again we have a thread where someone is clearly unhappy - due to them not doing their homework prior to cruising. Aren't we all to take personal responsibility for those things which matter most to us, before we plunk down our money.

I don't really think the adult to child ratio in any given country matters when you are booking on a foreign flagged ship and putting your child in day care. So to the OP why did you just assume that the kids club would meet your expectations without checking first? Seems easy enough to do.

Once you realized that it wasn't up to your comfort level - why not caulk it up to your mistake and move on especially once the crew stated that it was up to policy?

While there are parents and grandparents on here who love Celebrity and it's products for their children -- the vast majority of us, while not child haters, simply chose to cruise with as few of the little buggers as we can, so if it is simply sympathy that you want -- probably won't get much here. :o

Edited by Jane2357

This....

Honestly, and politely, that makes it even worse. What you are saying is that you commandeered between 3 and 4 seats at a bar while no one was taking advantage of what a bar is intended to be used for. Knowing how busy the Martini Bar is on every cruise we have taken, I would find it very rare that adults who wanted to have a drink would not be without seating.

Call me curmudgeon or whatever you like, but sailing during non-holiday (US definition of holiday) periods I prefer to not have to share my space with young children.

15 children age 3 - 8 doesn't really seem a problem to me. In my state, a licensed day care can have 12 children to one adult in the room of 3-year-olds. More if the children are older. The care giver had access to a phone for fast help at all times, and I'm sure help would be there within just moments if needed.

A kindergarten may have 25-30 children and one teacher, with 4-6 year olds. Not a lot of difference. In an emergency, you pick up the phone or step into the hall and yell. Been there, done that.

In the Caribbean cruises we have taken, there are often only a handful of children, usually age 3-5. They always seem to be having a grand time.

Did I miss a post (genuine question :))? I thought the OP stated 11 children in the first post?

Exactly

Yes, obviously an agenda at play here. Ditto the remark about finding out the adult to kid ratio in advance (and another good point by someone else about the typical size of kindergarten classes).

This is a place to park your kids so you don't have to entertain them for a few hours. Whatever valid points made about security (if true) have been offset by the childish response of inconveniencing other passengers because you're mad that the cruise line won't take care of your children in the manner you dictate.

I sailed on the summit last summer with my six-year-old. She loved the fun factory. If she wasn't there she wanted to be in the pool. Seem to me like there was plenty of staff, and they all seemed very engaged with the children. The teens had their own area and they seemed like they were having a blast.

Traveling as a single parent with my daughter, we did occasionally stop at the martini bar for me to get a drink on the way to a show or dinner. My daughter knew she had to be on her best behavior, and enjoyed herself writing our names and drawing designs on the ice bar. The bartenders gave her juice in martini glasses, and we didn't linger long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is the like button?

Once again we have a thread where someone is clearly unhappy - due to them not doing their homework prior to cruising. Aren't we all to take personal responsibility for those things which matter most to us, before we plunk down our money.

I don't really think the adult to child ratio in any given country matters when you are booking on a foreign flagged ship and putting your child in day care. So to the OP why did you just assume that the kids club would meet your expectations without checking first? Seems easy enough to do.

Once you realized that it wasn't up to your comfort level - why not caulk it up to your mistake and move on especially once the crew stated that it was up to policy?

While there are parents and grandparents on here who love Celebrity and it's products for their children -- the vast majority of us, while not child haters, simply chose to cruise with as few of the little buggers as we can, so if it is simply sympathy that you want -- probably won't get much here. :o

Your opinion not shared by thousands of families.

It's obviously my opinion...and the OP's given the numerous complaints of things that are well known and available should she have asked before taking this cruise. If you come here and complain about your kids' experience in a club or on a ship in the same context, I will absolutely repeat the same message to you as well.

I just want to be clear about the points raised about the children being in the Martini bar and the Sky Lounge. They were not sat at the bar, the majority of the times these bars were not even open and we sat in a corner out the way of anybody else that happened to be there. It was not at peak times and we were in no way taking up space so others were left without seats. We were simply finding somewhere inside out of the way of others.

We have really enjoyed previous Celebrity cruises hence trying this line with our children. Prior to sailing I did not realise how unsafe Celebrity would be for children.

To those who have said we should have checked staff ratio beforehand, it had not even crossed my mind that we would be in this position.

I do not feel I have hounded staff about these issues. Raising it once with reception who directed me to the youth provision manager. I then returned after 48 hours for an update. Unsatisfied I then went back to guest relations.

My intention was simply to make people aware of the concerns we have encountered so people can make an informed decision.

Thank you for the heads-up on the Kids Club. That's all anyone had to say and not speculate on anything else. :(

My wife and I took our daughter on a 7 day Caribbean cruise during spring break. Our daughter enjoyed the kid's club and we never thought for a minute that she was in an unsafe environment. After reading many Celebrity threads, I realize most individuals who don't like seeing kids during a cruise probably will not cruise during spring break or other family vacation times. I absolutely love the indoor pool because there are no kids allowed! Same for bars (except in Europe) no kids should be allowed as it is an adult venue.