Why Meet the Captain?

pullen0

My daughter told me that one of the kids at school dressed up like Captain Underpants, a book character. I'm guessing when you meet the captain, you have expectations to meet Captain Smartypants. Or Captain WorldTravelerPants...Or if he was Captain Underpants, it would be one of those taboo cruises I've heard about...that I can't stop thinking about...and that I dream about, if the captain was a female. ;)

It is not one of my must dos, however every Captain I have ever met has been very charming and interested in where I have cruised. I must add this has not been in the line ups to meet him. I don't do that.

I was running late to a function one night (nanny nap went too long) on the old Pacific Sun and the Captain greeted me at the door, when he heard how many times I had sailed on the Sun he said "you have been on here longer than me". I don't think so, but it was funny at the time. He then arranged for a waiter to find me a seat, drink etc very handy when you are on your own and very late.

One time Captain was not charming or anything was on MSC, totally disinterested in everything, but then so was I, worst Captains formal night gathering I have ever attended.

For meet and mingle go to the Purser's desk the day before with invitations for the crew members you would like to attend. Generally cruise director and or assistant will turn up with whoever else is free at that time.

RCL did this too--a long time ago.

There was a time on HAL ships when on the first formal night, nearly everyone stood in line to meet the captain and get their picture taken with him -- which you could buy.

We enjoyed those evenings.

But I would still like to meet the captain -- sadly it doesn't happen anymore on HAL.

Please don't lump all those who have been cruising for years in to the same bucket :roll eyes:

Just because someone thinks something was part of tradition does not mean it must remain forever. Nor does it mean that change is bad. If tradition dictated something remaining, at least in the USA, women would not be able to vote or serve in more positions than nursing and secretarial...

The "old" tradition meant fixed dining, required dress, same old same old entertainment, bingo and smoking everywhere. The "new" tradition means choices for dining, suggested dress and dropping the formal (I don't see any line who dropped formal bringing it back yet because of guests asking for the old), choices in entertainment and activities and smoking confined to very small areas.

Very well-said!

It is not one of my must dos, however every Captain I have ever met has been very charming and interested in where I have cruised. e.

They probably really do not care. They are just being polite. You are just one of the many many people they meet on each cruise.

DON

Public relations is part of the job description for captains. Some do it better than others. My own opinion: I want the best, most experienced captain who can handle an unanticipated crisis. I want the equivalent of American Airlines Captain Sully who landed an airplane in the river and saved lives. I really don't care if he's charming at dinner.

Public relations is part of the job description for captains. Some do it better than others. My own opinion: I want the best, most experienced captain who can handle an unanticipated crisis. I want the equivalent of American Airlines Captain Sully who landed an airplane in the river and saved lives. I really don't care if he's charming at dinner.

Points well taken!

I just don't get the people who feel a meet and greet/mingle is not a total success unless there's several ship officers there. I thought the purpose of these occasions was to meet in person those you've been conversing with online for several months.
On the other hand, I've been to several M&Gs where the presence of officers has given us an inside scoop on what goes on. I remember, however, the captain of one ship remarking about the live thread I had been posting. He was amazed that so many people cared about some of the trivial things they had posted on my thread for me to find out the answers to.

As far as the public relations aspect of the job: Anyone who has a front-facing position in hospitality has to be an actor. You have to play one way out front, and pretend everyone's issues are important and you do what you have to in order to service that guest. But, when you go from front of the house to the back, just watch the roll-eyes and the "can you believe that idiot", "what a pretentious twit" come out ;)

I can imagine a Captain wanting to get that stuff over with as quickly as possible - power is intoxicating to some and they want to "sniff" all they can ;)

Sometimes, it is the need to feel important so name-dropping can happen: "We said "hello" to CaptainX, who we had the opportunity to meet before on several of our HAL cruises."

There is one person on CC who name drops with the H/FB Director being their friend.

Then there's another long time poster with umpteen knowledgeable posts who practically lives on one line's ships. Probably every Captain, CD, H/FBD, Concierge, etc. know her and I don't think I ever once saw her call any of them her friend.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, he was a US Airways pilot.

Some people enjoy meeting new people, people in interesting jobs, learning about their jobs, gaining "inside" knowledge.

Some people don't.

Sure you learn so muc0h at most meet the capt events......0:confused:0:confused:000

Sometimes, it is the need to feel important so name-dropping can happen: "We said "hello" to CaptainX, who we had the opportunity to meet before on several of our HAL cruises."

I think this is the real reason that most of the people who feel it's important to meet the captain really want to do it. :cool:

My dad is a retired Captain. Women would swoon over him - in front of me - knowing full well that I am his daughter as he had just introduced me as such! Certainly my mom didn't appreciate that behavior but that happened a lot. I found it rather obnoxious. Even now at age 92 dad has women chasing him at the IL facility.

I think some people's expectation of meeting the captain and staff relates back to earlier days of cruising when ships were smaller and you were more apt to actually have a chance to meet with and talk to officers onboard ship.

It doesn't particularly impact me who the staff are aboard a large, modern ship, but if it's important to someone else, far be it from me to criticize. Why shouldn't the captain and staff spend a little time mingling with passengers -- being at the helm of a ship is quite different from flying a plane.

I will say though, that I've enjoyed some great conversations over time with captains and/or senior officers, especially if one is interested in travel, customs, maritime history, etc. I am just back from a cruise on Aegean Odyssey (about 350 passengers max); she has had the same captain aboard for her entire career starting in 2010, when I also started cruising on her. Throughout this time I've enjoyed several interesting conversations with this captain.

Then again, I am always up for an interesting conversation with someone who had knowledge to impart and/or good stories to tell -- be it a captain or a room steward. ;)

I think what a lot of people don't know is that most Captains have at least a Master's Degree if not a PhD and quite a lot of them are historians and very knowledgeable about whatever are of history strikes their fancy. Combine that with a handsome man in uniform and someone who is personable and an interesting conversationalist and perhaps that's the "whole package."

I think what a lot of people don't know is that most Captains have at least a Master's Degree if not a PhD and quite a lot of them are historians and very knowledgeable about whatever are of history strikes their fancy. Combine that with a handsome man in uniform and someone who is personable and an interesting conversationalist and perhaps that's the "whole package."

Hopefully, you're not confusing a Master's degree with a Master's license.

While many unlimited tonnage skippers (and chiefs) worldwide have graduated from, at least, baccalaureate programs at accredited maritime academies and some do possess grad degrees, there are a significant number of merchant maritime officers who were "hawspipers" (with or without college degrees in a non-maritime oriented discipline).

Since, the vast majority of cruise industry deck/engineering lead officers are not from the US (salary cost prohibitive), it really is difficult to know what exactly is the extent of their formal higher education.

In any case, some skippers are naturals at "pressing the flesh" (and like it) while others see the PR side as a necessary evil. BTW, if you want to have some interesting conversations, find yourself a chief engineer.

Hopefully, you're not confusing a Master's degree with a Master's license.

While many unlimited tonnage skippers (and chiefs) worldwide have graduated from, at least, baccalaureate programs at accredited maritime academies and some do possess grad degrees, there are a significant number of merchant maritime officers who were "hawspipers" (with or without college degrees in a non-maritime oriented discipline).

Since, the vast majority of cruise industry deck/engineering lead officers are not from the US (salary cost prohibitive), it really is difficult to know what exactly is the extent of their formal higher education.

In any case, some skippers are naturals at "pressing the flesh" (and like it) while others see the PR side as a necessary evil. BTW, if you want to have some interesting conversations, find yourself a chief engineer.

No indeed I am not confused at all. Most Captains of larger vessels do have post grad degrees. I'm referring to those who have attained the rank of Captain, not those serving as Captain on a smaller vessel. BTW, a word to the wise, I would not refer to a rank Captain as a skipper - not unless you want to get dressed down - it's very disrespectful.

Sure you learn so muc0h at most meet the capt events......0:confused:0:confused:000

Yes, I have learned things when we have met Captains and other officers/staff. Even as I am married to a retired Navy officer.

However some clarification here. When I answered the question way back on page 1, I was basing our answer on actually having lunch or dinner with a Captain, and/or other staff, not just shaking the Captain's hand in a receiving line. Have met MANY Captains in reception greeting lines, but that is a different situation.