Rudeness to tow LOS crew members

jc foster

We just got off the LOS yesterday. On the first night of the cruise I awoke at 4:30 a.m. and headed to the Diamond lounge for a cup of coffee. Due to this early morning hour the only two other people in the lounge was a lady and her husband. A couple of crew members in blue coveralls entered carrying a flashlight, electronic tablet,and what appeared to be a laser type heat thermo which they pointed at several areas near the ceiling while also checking these areas with a flashlight and then logging readings on the tablet. This lasted about 20 minutes. These guys then talked on a walkie talkie and walked over to get a cup from the machine. The lady then yelled, " Hey this lounge and machine is for Diamond members only." The crew members were shocked and left without coffee. After they left I mentioned that it was only a cup of coffee to which she replied, "Its our vacation not theirs." She grabbed her husband and they left. Yes, I know its a Diamond lounge but Gezz. It is 4:30am . I mean no one else is around and these hardworking guys just wanted a cup of coffee. Surely we as passengers can treat these folks better. Sorry for the rant , but this stuff really makes me angry.

We just got off the LOS yesterday. On the first night of the cruise I awoke at 4:30 a.m. and headed to the Diamond lounge for a cup of coffee. Due to this early morning hour the only two other people in the lounge was a lady and her husband. A couple of crew members in blue coveralls entered carrying a flashlight, electronic tablet,and what appeared to be a laser type heat thermo which they pointed at several areas near the ceiling while also checking these areas with a flashlight and then logging readings on the tablet. This lasted about 20 minutes. These guys then talked on a walkie talkie and walked over to get a cup from the machine. The lady then yelled, " Hey this lounge and machine is for Diamond members only." The crew members were shocked and left without coffee. After they left I mentioned that it was only a cup of coffee to which she replied, "Its our vacation not theirs." She grabbed her husband and they left. Yes, I know its a Diamond lounge but Gezz. It is 4:30am . I mean no one else is around and these hardworking guys just wanted a cup of coffee. Surely we as passengers can treat these folks better. Sorry for the rant , but this stuff really makes me angry.

I agree that those passengers were rude.

I also believe that if those crew members were caught doing this they would be fired.

Just FYI.

You can't buy class....

I agree that those passengers were rude.

I also believe that if those crew members were caught doing this they would be fired.

Just FYI.

Agree with you on both!

So rude and mean of those passengers.

Sadly, the crew members do know better than to have done this ....

Are we REALLY this petty? Do passengers REALLY think they are so superior? I have no words. I would welcome the gents (working all night to make our experience better) to help themselves to a cup of coffee. I do believe in karma....

Are we REALLY this petty? Do passengers REALLY think they are so superior? I have no words. I would welcome the gents (working all night to make our experience better) to help themselves to a cup of coffee. I do believe in karma....

Yes passengers really think they are superior. We had the Ben & Jerry's Sweet on Independence. We had to go to the concierge lounge to get our keys for the lounge. We had to knock to gain entry. Someone working with the concierge who were totally upset that the concierge couldn't get them a dining reservation when they wanted it told us that we couldn't access "this" lounge as it is only for "suite guests". I said I knew and needed to get our keys. He was totally rude to us. My husband only went once to the CL. I never set foot in it again. If that is how peeps are in the CL, I never want to go there.

Yes passengers really think they are superior. We had the Ben & Jerry's Sweet on Independence. We had to go to the concierge lounge to get our keys for the lounge. We had to knock to gain entry. Someone working with the concierge who were totally upset that the concierge couldn't get them a dining reservation when they wanted it told us that we couldn't access "this" lounge as it is only for "suite guests". I said I knew and needed to get our keys. He was totally rude to us. My husband only went once to the CL. I never set foot in it again. If that is how peeps are in the CL, I never want to go there.

Reminds me of the Titanic movie when Kate Winslet character had an awful time in the first class lounge, but kicked her heels up below decks with the Cattle class. LOL 😂

Yes passengers really think they are superior. .

Only to a degree. I bet you if the staff getting the coffee is not some lowly maintenance worker but the ship captain or some high ranking ship officer, these two characters would likely dash over to introduce themselves and share a coffee with him, diamond or no diamond. I feel for the cabin stewards and other line staff who have to deal with people like these two on a daily basis.

Edited by sfaaa

Thank goodness I've never experienced any kind of rudeness like this in all our visits to the Concierge or Diamond Lounges. I don't understand why people have to be so nasty. They must be very unhappy with their life and want everyone else to feel the same. Such a shame. I'm just happy to be able to cruise as much as we do.....

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Navigator in May, I am usually up early for a couple of days due to the time difference with the UK, one morning I went into the CL on deck 9 and there were crew in there cleaning it and having coffee from the machine, I just said hello, got my coffee and left, no biggie. :D

I believe this happened, as I have had crew push the envelope all the time. While it would have warranted a reprimand, this behavior would not be an offense of sufficient gravity to warrant termination, unless they had been warned about it before.

I agree that it is not really for the guests to uphold the cruise line rules against the crew, unless it is directly impacting them, and getting a coffee in the lounge in the early hours doesn't really count on that front.

Remember that there are hundreds of cameras on the ship, and only 2-3 surveillance techs on watch at a time, whose computer screens scroll through all the cameras every couple of seconds, so while actions may be recorded, they may not be witnessed, and the crew are frequently willing to risk this.

I believe this happened, as I have had crew push the envelope all the time. While it would have warranted a reprimand, this behavior would not be an offense of sufficient gravity to warrant termination, unless they had been warned about it before.

I agree that it is not really for the guests to uphold the cruise line rules against the crew, unless it is directly impacting them, and getting a coffee in the lounge in the early hours doesn't really count on that front.

Remember that there are hundreds of cameras on the ship, and only 2-3 surveillance techs on watch at a time, whose computer screens scroll through all the cameras every couple of seconds, so while actions may be recorded, they may not be witnessed, and the crew are frequently willing to risk this.

Put simply...that couple who made the remarks were rude and lacked any level of class.

Their decision to become the "policemen" for the lounge at 4:30am was beyond arrogant. The crew was not at fault, and should not have to deal with people who are such snobs.

I keep forgetting there are people who think they are better than everyone else. They need to remember if it would not be for the crew, the cruise would not be as great as most of them are. I am wondering what it would hurt for the crew to grab a cup of coffee and go about their business. How many people go 8 hours without anything to drink. I know I would need some coffee to keep me awake at 4:30AM if I had just worked all night. Happy Thanksgiving.

I probably would have gotten a cup for myself and then had a nice chat with the crew. I always look forward to opportunities to talk with them.

I'm also surprised the machine was even working at that time of day. Usually it is out of either milk or beans when I get there early in the morning.:rolleyes: