Is a Carnival Cruise worth taking anymore?

Carleeb12

You can usually find something good to eat on Carnival. Just off Oosterdam and only breakfast was edible. No flavor at all. Very limited times on buffet. Dive In can't compare to Guy's. People waited 30 mintues for a lousy burger. MDR service was horrible, over 2.5 hours every night. Made me miss Carnival.

I wish that was true about rates for the cruise I'm looking at. Just came of the Escape in Oct. and looking at Vista for May 2018. I know I'm comparing spring to fall ( hurricane season) but paid 3200.00 for the Escape which included drinks and speciality dining, spa pass, spa balcony, taxes, gratuities, etc.

Vista I'm looking at the same price for lido balcony with no drink, specialty dining or spa pass.

I'm getting 1 more day sure but if and we probably will get the cheers package it's going to add another 900.00 or so.

Being it's our 40th anniversary cruise we will probably get at least 1 speciality dining.

Everything being said Carnival in this case isn't the better deal. But it's the Southern Caribbean which we've never done.

There are always exceptions, but you actually make my point the my quoted poster. Carnival rates have become pretty stable. His/her point was they destabilize the market because they are always severely discounting, which they are not.

The vista is their newest ship and more often will have a premium to sail.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

What is good about today is you can make your own educated decision if Carnival is worth it. There is Cruise Critic type websites and other social media sites that have so much information on the ship, food, ports etc. On the video sites, you can see many posts that show close to the entire ship.

We didn't have all of this information years ago. Your best bet is to check out the information that is out there and you will feel confident in your choices.:cool:

Reading all of the comments on both this forum, as well as on a bunch of social media pages, has made me realize that there are an overwhelming number of people these days that will never be pleased, no matter what anyone does. Chalk it up to the entitlement attitude that seems to be prevalent in the US these days.

But, in the end, you have to have an open mind and form your own opinion. None of the cruises I have been on have been 100% perfect, however all of them have been amazing because they have allowed me to rest and feel like a human being again (my job is much too stressful and in my day to day life at home I feel like life is passing me by and I don't have sufficient time to enjoy it).

Further, I have traveled to more places than I ever could by land in the past year, and I have enjoyed more wonderful experiences than I can count on one hand. I am completely hooked on cruising, and Carnival has been an excellent value each and every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

It seems like every post I read on the Carnival board expresses some level of dissatisfaction about the terrible food, the terrible service, the terrible entertainment, etc. So, is there still any point to taking a Carnival cruise anymore? How are they staying in business?

Hi

I am not sure if you might be confused somewhat. Is your questions really about Carnival?

It is only one of many cruise lines. Most people agree, try other cruise lines. Find one that best suits your tastes, budget etc...at this point in life. If all you are looking at are reviews, I am sorry to have to inform you that you will find the negative reviews, no matter which cruise line.

Now if you are asking if it is still worth cruising as a vacation choice, that's a decision that you have to make for yourself. Obviously millions travel with Carnival each year and many more millions travel with other companies. So I find it highly unlikely that a handful of reviews saying that everything is "terrible" will dissuade vacationers, mainly because there are so many that just don't agree. Cruising isn't for everyone and thank goodness for that.

best of luck finding the right fit for you

When I read a negative review I sometimes think "Oh, yea, I saw/experienced something similar to that" the difference is I just laughed it off or did not let it bother me or ruin my vacation. The most negative thing that ever happened to me on a cruise was on the Disney cruise, but while I still remember it, I do not let it color the overall memory of that cruise. The worst dining experience I ever had on a cruise was in the specialty restaurant on my one Royal cruise. I still remember it, but I do not let it color the overall memory of that cruise.

This is true with every vacation I have ever been on. If you want to be negative and find fault in every little thing, you will be successful. If you want to be positive and find fun in every little thing, you will be successful.

We are not loyal to one line, but Carnival always seems to be the one cruise line that fits what we are looking for for that particular vacation. Is it perfect? No, but neither or we so it fits us just fine.

Happy Cruising!:)

Disclaimer, I am not, never have been, and never will be a Carnival Cruiser. The product doesn't interest me for any number of reasons. I am not saying it is a bad product, rather that it isn't right for me.

So here is my response to the OP's post.

Yes, there have been changes made, and long time cruisers will be the ones to notice them the most.

There are a lot of reasons people cruise Carnival, and continue to do so.

In no particular order...

1. Because that is what they have always done. Whether they grew up vacationing on Carnival with mom and dad or great aunt Tilly, that is the vacation they have taken for years. Maybe they took it for a honeymoon, spring break (back when spring breakers could book cruises) or when their children were young. Point is, it is what they know, it is in their comfort zone. Many people don't like to step out of that zone. So they keep going back. Here is where it gets interesting for that group. Just like with anything, the first time you experience something shiney and new, it seems perfect. The more time you spend with it, you get to know it better, become more critical of the cracks and rust. It's human nature. So while what we remember and what we currently perceive might be a mile of difference, the reality is that it's only a few yards of difference. That can lead to building resentment, disappointment, and subsequent complaint. Because we have stuck ourselves into this rut, we either feel paralyzed by the fear of the unknown or guilt over abandoning something we have been loyal to whenever the concept of trying something different arises.

2. Next are the people who equate the word best with cheapest. (On the other end of the spectrum are those who say best is the most expensive.) They don't use "best value for their unique situation," just "cheapest." They look for rock bottom per day prices. This group is best described as having Champagne taste on a beer budget. Using the word cheapest, a reasonable person would temper their expectations, expect to have fun, but not expect Broadway shows, Le Cordon Bleu cuisine, or a glass of Champagne and cool towel handed to them every time they return after a port of call. Some people are happy with this, but others are disappointed. They want to pay $40 per person, per day and have filet mignon instead of meatloaf, and become agitated when those expectations aren't met.

3. Often but not always these people will have unrealistic expectations for their trip because they don't read the fine print--or any print! They look at the marketing materials and think they will have a trip just like they see--what appears to be a waiter with only a dozen passengers to serve, no lines to meet characters, food that looks like it was cooked and plated at The French Laundry for every meal, a bottle of fine Champagne and large bouquet of flowers in their cabin when they arrive, the list goes on. Because all they did was look at the photos, and the photos tend to show the very top end suites, and a lot of for fee extras. When these items and this level of service doesn't materialize, they get upset. They board their older ship expecting they will be going to the Queen's Grill on Cunard. They are deeply disappointed and make sure to vent this disappointment. This is a group who would probably have had a great time if they had used an experienced cruise travel agent who could have given them the facts about what to expect and made sure they understood the product they were receiving.

4. The people who find fault with everything. The ship hits a rock and sinks, sure, there is a lot of cruise line fault there. But there are a lot of subjective things on a cruise ship. To one person, the shows are great, to another they are terrible. To one person the food is great, to another it is terrible. To one person the bed is very comfortable, to another it is too hard or too soft. (Of course when you hear these types of complaints over and over about the same ship or Cruise Director or Bartender or whoever, by people who are typically easy to please, you would take note.)

5. People who just don't consider the type of cruise they want to take and what they want out of it and the type of people who might be sailing with them and the list goes on. People need to look at themselves and consider their interests, their comfort zones, the type of trip they would enjoy. A couple in their 70's with a strong interest in Neoclassical architecture and Renaissance art who are typically asleep by 10:00 and awake by 6:00 each day would probably enjoy a river cruise along the Seine a lot more than a Bahamas cruise on a Carnival ship. On the other hand a couple in their early to mid 20's who are interested in chilling out on a different beach with a bucket of beer each day and dancing the night away every night would probably love Carnival and be bored silly in the river cruise.

6. The people who are happy with the product and feel that it gives them good value for their money.

Bottom line, my opinion after reading these boards for many years is that Carnival has two sides to their product. One is the older ships that typically do shorter cruises and have a lot of small interior rooms, the other is the new ships with larger suites which provide a lot more amenities. Typically people who make an informed decision are happy with their vacation--provided the cruise line delivers what it indicated it would--which it appears that a handful of rotten situations aside (floating around in the Gulf with no working toilets or potable water on a ship with previously known engine/propulsion problems comes to mind)--Carnival delivers what they say they will. No more, no less.

Those who have been disappointed with Carnival in the past should take their money elsewhere, otherwise they will probably board expecting the worst and having those expectations met because they will be looking for anything possible to criticize, have not done their research, or have made a bad choice in their vacation plans to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ducklite

I agree with many of the other posters here. You can find plenty of things people fault with Carnival and many other cruise lines. There are certainly things that go wrong and like others said too, I take what people say with a grain of salt too. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. Not saying people lie at all, but sometimes, people exaggerate things. Other times, it's a legit complaint. When someone with a couple posts comes here and posts a big negative thing, I usually dismiss it.

Today, it seems that many people are looking for compensation for things when they don't go 100% the way they wanted. We're so used to being safe behind our computer, we can say whatever we want. And it happens a lot! Were all our cruises perfect? Nope! A few little hiccups happened, but for the cost and ease of it, we enjoy it. We were with Carnival because we cruise with other friends, and they had been using Carnival. We know what to expect, we're used to it, so there's just no reason to change anything, but that's what works for us.

Actually, we still can't pump our own gas, yet still get our windshield cleaned. AND, it's still cheaper than the surrounding states.

I can also still sail on a mass cruise line where the rates are where they should be, instead of depressed to attract and fill a ship with the budget customer, and get a full service cruise.

LOL...well it sounds like you have found your niche and loyalty to the 2 industries you commented on, so no issues for you!

This is exactly how many feel about cruising with Carnival, it works for them and there are happy with the results. Its perspective...

Here is a good example of something I read a lot of complaints about... We took a Disney cruise. The weather was miserable. Just terrible starting four hours into the cruise and pretty much staying the way until the day after we got home.

A lot of people griped about it. Never mind that Disney offered a ton of extra stuff to do and tried to keep us as far away from the bad weather as they reasonably could.

But still there was griping and complaining.

Anyone who complains about the weather shouldn't be allowed to take a vacation. Weather is an Act of God. Move on, nothing to see here.

It was far from our best cruise, but I wouldn't ever hold the reason we didn't particularly enjoy it against the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems like every post I read on the Carnival board expresses some level of dissatisfaction about the terrible food, the terrible service, the terrible entertainment, etc. So, is there still any point to taking a Carnival cruise anymore? How are they staying in business?

They are staying in business because millions, like me, know it is a good value and a good cruise line. And yes, I have 2 booked and one more planned for next year on Carnival. :)

I wish that was true about rates for the cruise I'm looking at. Just came of the Escape in Oct. and looking at Vista for May 2018. I know I'm comparing spring to fall ( hurricane season) but paid 3200.00 for the Escape which included drinks and speciality dining, spa pass, spa balcony, taxes, gratuities, etc.

Vista I'm looking at the same price for lido balcony with no drink, specialty dining or spa pass.

I'm getting 1 more day sure but if and we probably will get the cheers package it's going to add another 900.00 or so.

Being it's our 40th anniversary cruise we will probably get at least 1 speciality dining.

Everything being said Carnival in this case isn't the better deal. But it's the Southern Caribbean which we've never done.

When you compare apples to oranges one should not look for the same result. Southern cruise are always more than East/West cruises. 8 night cruises are almost always more expensive than 7 night cruises. And don't forget that 18% gratuity that you will pay for that drink package and dining package on NCL.

There are cut backs everywhere.

When you compare apples to oranges one should not look for the same result. Southern cruise are always more than East/West cruises. 8 night cruises are almost always more expensive than 7 night cruises. And don't forget that 18% gratuity that you will pay for that drink package and dining package on NCL.

Maybe instead of etc. I should have said et al. or all extra gratuities.

i also believe it was mentioned I realized it was 7 days as opposed to 8.

Sadly, there are many who believe that because they are taking a cruise means they deserve to be treated like "royalty".

Sure, I've seen cutbacks on many services on board.;(Full table settings in the MDR, etc.)

BUT, many new cruisers don't appreciate the total ambiance of their cruise.

To me it means there might be a chance of adventure; bad weather, strange ports of call, new cultures, meals never tried of before, and so on.

If you expect perfection on your cruise, it "just ain't gonna happen".

Just my 2c worth.

I still maintain that Carnival is still the best, overall, bang for your cruising buck.

Many of the "complaints" or issues come from long time Carnival cruisers who do see a decline in service and food from what it was 5, 10 or 15 years ago. However, it's the same for almost all mainstream cruise lines. The good old days are gone and if you want the same food and service you will need to eat at the alternative restaurants and book a suite. This does not hold on Carnival since they do not have Butlers.

I posted my lament about the increase in the number of cabins that the stewards now must service and the cutback to once or twice a day service. The stewards hope you say once. I wasn't so worried about the stewards. They choose to do it or not. What concerned me is that this was purely a cost saving measure and not something that guests wanted. Contrary to how it has been spun. :rolleyes:

The menus and choices have been trimmed down and the buffet choices have been cut back. My wife and I find ourselves eating at the steakhouse two or three times on a seven day cruise. That's our choice and does not reflect on anyone else's. When I sail on NCL I always book the different additional charge venues because I enjoy the variety and quality of the food and the MDR food is not as good as Carnival's. I would not do an NCL cruise if I only did the included dining options.

Will I book another Carnival cruise? Heck yes. If I want a week or ten day getaway in the Caribbean or Mexico then Carnival will be the first cruise line I check. If I want to cruise Europe, South America or Asia then I will check another cruise line since Carnival rarely sails these itineraries.

Book a Carnival cruise. You will enjoy it because you can accept what you get and choose to enjoy it or not accept it and be miserable. I choose to enjoy.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

I still maintain that Carnival is still the best, overall, bang for your cruising buck.

Many of the "complaints" or issues come from long time Carnival cruisers who do see a decline in service and food from what it was 5, 10 or 15 years ago. However, it's the same for almost all mainstream cruise lines. The good old days are gone and if you want the same food and service you will need to eat at the alternative restaurants and book a suite. This does not hold on Carnival since they do not have Butlers.

I posted my lament about the increase in the number of cabins that the stewards now must service and the cutback to once or twice a day service. The stewards hope you say once. I wasn't so worried about the stewards. They choose to do it or not. What concerned me is that this was purely a cost saving measure and not something that guests wanted. Contrary to how it has been spun. :rolleyes:

The menus and choices have been trimmed down and the buffet choices have been cut back. My wife and I find ourselves eating at the steakhouse two or three times on a seven day cruise. That's our choice and does not reflect on anyone else's. When I sail on NCL I always book the different additional charge venues because I enjoy the variety and quality of the food and the MDR food is not as good as Carnival's. I would not do an NCL cruise if I only did the included dining options.

Will I book another Carnival cruise? Heck yes. If I want a week or ten day getaway in the Caribbean or Mexico then Carnival will be the first cruise line I check. If I want to cruise Europe, South America or Asia then I will check another cruise line since Carnival rarely sails these itineraries.

Book a Carnival cruise. You will enjoy it because you can accept what you get and choose to enjoy it or not accept it and be miserable. I choose to enjoy.

Take care,

Mike

Nice post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We wil still cruise Carnival and think it's the best value (service provided based on monies spent )

However I am concerned that it will become the equivalent of a trailer park experience because

(A) the services that have been removed over the years

(B) the extra costs they now charge to get those same services we used to enjoy for free

© the more and more passengers they continue to try to cram on a ship at one time

Where I will start to draw the line is when I no longer feel like the week spent was enjoyable, relaxing and special. I can always save money by living in a trailer park but that's not how I would like to live. Same goes for cruising

We wil still cruise Carnival and think it's the best value (service provided based on monies spent )

However I am concerned that it will become the equivalent of a trailer park experience because

(A) the services that have been removed over the years

(B) the extra costs they now charge to get those same services we used to enjoy for free

© the more and more passengers they continue to try to cram on a ship at one time

Where I will start to draw the line is when I no longer feel like the week spent was enjoyable, relaxing and special. I can always save money by living in a trailer park but that's not how I would like to live. Same goes for cruising

I'm not a long time CCL cruiser by any means but exactly what services were removed that we have to pay extra for? All cruise lines try to fill their ships to at least 110% capacity if they are able.

Maybe instead of etc. I should have said et al. or all extra gratuities.

i also believe it was mentioned I realized it was 7 days as opposed to 8.

Yes, you mentioned it but you are still trying to compare the two. No accurate comparison can be made if the cruises aren't almost identical and these two aren't even close. Not to mention, NCL just plain sucks as a cruise line (IMO).

I'm not a long time CCL cruiser by any means but exactly what services were removed that we have to pay extra for? All cruise lines try to fill their ships to at least 110% capacity if they are able.

the only one I can think of is room service, where some of the choices are for pay now whereas everything used to be free via RS. But there still are free alternatives on the menu.