Why Keep Cruising?

ducklite

I have been a member of these boards for a long time. Over the years, I have seen more and more people complaining about their cruise line of choice, very bitterly in some cases. They can't get dining reservations, can't book shore excursions, cabanas, shows, can't carry on booze, can't smoke (or are subjected to smoke in a non-smoking area and the ship won't do anything to rectify the problem), can't get in early enough, can't get off fast enough, don't like the TV station line up, don't like the entertainment/shampoo/mattresses/towels, think service has declined, think the food is bad, the list runs on for miles.

Yet these same people keep returning to the same cruise line over and over and just keep complaining. In many cases they have very valid and substantial complaints, rather than something which could be considered subjective.

My question is simple--if someone is unhappy with the line they have sailed on, why do they keep going back instead of trying a different line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems these unhappy cruisers want it all done for them. They are too lazy to even Google the various agencies, ports or ships. Dont want to be bothered paying for passports or buy a decent dress. What, no shorts at dinner? They usually end up as one cruise wonders.

Fyree39, we're about to embark on our 9th Azamara on Friday and our 10th in February with 11 & 12th later in 2017. For us in our mid 50th it's a no brainer. But it's not for everyone. We have sailed, princess, RCL, celebrity and we love the size and intimacy of Azamara,it's our first choice. There's no Broadway shows, you find fellow passengers well travelled, friendly and polite. No queues, great food, lots of inclusions and destination immersion. There standouts are their officers, staff and crew with a cohort that rotate between ships. You will still get the complainers that winge about the size of the bathroom, the clingy shower curtains etc. (which incidently) haven't been an issue for us. The old adage of ' you can't keep everyone happy all the time' rings trueIf you make the change, it'll be very different from carnival but I hope you fall in love with Azamara. It's time you followed some of your own wishes too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by aussie travel bird

As someone who views cruise ships primarily as a means of transportation, I don't mind the cutbacks as long as the fares are low enough. I find myself increasingly drawn to using freighters otherwise though scheduling is limited (though not as limited as repositioning cruise ships).

I've begun booking new lines and new ships.

That's a good start. I wouldn't necessarily look at lines with the smallest ships if I were you. Why? You liked the I-Max theater and maybe other features that only a large ship can provide.

As long as you are fine with a much smaller ship, Azamara is good. Oceania has 3 of Azamara's sister ships and 2 new, larger ones. It's my favorite line marketed primarily to English speakers, but my choices are itinerary driven which often leads me to lines with small ships and unusual ports outside the Caribbean. Food is a close second and Oceania excels there.

By the way, a snobbish poster on cc does not reflect on the overall experience on a ship. Most passengers have never heard of cc.

I wouldn't miss a Broadway show, but I do like entertainment of some type. One of the funniest comedians I ever saw was on Royal in the theater. Maybe it was Princess. In any case, the guy was hysterical whose humor was reminiscent of comedians of the 60s and 70s.

I also should have added that they are cabaret style shows with guest entertainers, they have dancers, singers and music in bars, nightclub etc.. There is something on every night. All three cruise directors are very talented and are actively involved in some of the shows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been a member of these boards for a long time. Over the years, I have seen more and more people complaining about their cruise line of choice, very bitterly in some cases. They can't get dining reservations, can't book shore excursions, cabanas, shows, can't carry on booze, can't smoke (or are subjected to smoke in a non-smoking area and the ship won't do anything to rectify the problem), can't get in early enough, can't get off fast enough, don't like the TV station line up, don't like the entertainment/shampoo/mattresses/towels, think service has declined, think the food is bad, the list runs on for miles.

Yet these same people keep returning to the same cruise line over and over and just keep complaining. In many cases they have very valid and substantial complaints, rather than something which could be considered subjective.

My question is simple--if someone is unhappy with the line they have sailed on, why do they keep going back instead of trying a different line?

I hate cruises, but my wife likes it, so we go.

I have noticed that there are people who really like to complain, and it is how they live their lives. I ignore them. Their focus is on what went wrong, rather than what went right, which is the fact that they were on a cruise in the first place! :)

I have yet to be on the perfect cruise, and I could complain about a lot of things, but I choose to focus on how really, really blessed I am to be able to cruise at all. I make my cruising experience wonderful despite the rude people (they are usually the complainers), the occasional lackluster meal, a slow embarkation/debarkation, smokers...need I continue? No. As with everything, I can waste my time complaining, or spend my time focusing on what is beautiful: gazing at a sunrise or sunset while sipping wine on the balcony.

We actually have been happy with the cruise line we've been on for our last five cruises. We don't book specialty restaurants (so as long as we can have traditional dining...), we've been fine with the entertainment options, I can wear a LBD for formal nights and look snazzy, there's a lot less smoking nowadays as smokers get fewer in numbers anyway.

Complaining about something does not mean someoone is unhappy with it, generally speaking -- just that someone does not/did not like something about it (specifically). But everything in life is about weighing pros and cons, and sometimes even if the cons seem large, the pro side is even larger. So why complain about what you've chosen? Why not? Those complaints are real and those things still bother that person.

I can and do complain about the lack of casual dinner options on half the ships in my line of choice (Crystal) from time to time, but I still choose to sail.....because the pros far outweigh the cons. But I'm not going to lie and say that nothing was missing on my last voyage, or not voice my opinion on dining should the subject come up.

I've begun booking new lines and new ships. I've been lurking on the Azamara board all weekend, wondering what an experience on one of those ships would be like. I thought of Oceania as well, but there's a poster here that's such an Oceania cheerleader on the one hand and on the other insults anyone who cruises mass-market lines I've kind of leaned away from that line (yes, a poster can leave such a bad taste in my mouth about a line that I avoid it).

I might be an Oceania cheerleader but I would ignore the poster that annoys you there is always one on every forum ;)

Look at the positive side to cruising on Oceania

You will probably not have that poster on your cruise anyway :D

Lots of nice people onboard they do not care what other lines you cruise on

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Lyn

I like Freesyle.

I am not happy with NCL's new upper management so I cut back cruiseing by like 80% for now.

I also only like Chevy's . Some years not so much, but not enough to buy a Fiat just to try something different( if catch my drift ).

Edited by biker@sea

You are not the poster I'm speaking of. :) I actually spent an hour or so today looking through O's website and comparing O, Azamara and Crystal. I'd really love to sail Crystal, but I honestly don't think I have the wardrobe for it. My clothes are so pedestrian.

I know you were not referring to me :D

There is an ignore feature on CC & it works quite well ;)

Pedestrian works fine on Oceania or Azamara

The larger O class ships are much nicer & bathrooms are roomier that the R class ships unless of course you book a PH or top suite

Try something new you may be surprised & your DH will enjoy it

Lyn

You will still get the complainers that winge about the size of the bathroom.

Even though I've thoroughly enjoyed every cruise we've been on so far I still reserve the right to whinge about the size of the bathrooms. Yes, Golden Princess, I'm talking about you! :eek: :D

You are not the poster I'm speaking of. :) I actually spent an hour or so today looking through O's website and comparing O, Azamara and Crystal. I'd really love to sail Crystal, but I honestly don't think I have the wardrobe for it. My clothes are so pedestrian.

LOL.....pedestrian clothes are quite common on Crystal. Look at the on-board webcams (shows the computer rooms) to get a feeling for what real passengers are wearing during the day. I'm a cargos-and-tshirt kind of gal, and I worried too before my first Crystal voyage.

Carnival has the small Fantasy-class ships, which I adore. I love the size, the intimacy, yet these ships still have a feeling of being large with space enough for everyone. The problem with this class of ship for Carnival is a lack of balconies and they typically only do the booze cruise runs. We'll be on one of these smaller ships next month and I'm already looking forward to a cup of coffee and my Kindle in a particular seat near the Taste Bar.

Seeing a 2,600+ passenger ship referred to as "... one of these smaller ships..." brings to mind a "complaint". The ongoing progression towards ever-larger, something for everyone, ships on mass market lines is worth comment. Because I largely cruise for transportation (getting across the Atlantic more comfortably than is possible in an airplane), followed by particular destination - I accept the evolving "conditions of passage".

Of course I will occasionally complain - perhaps in the absurd hope that cruise line management might pay attention and improve - but a simple expression of disinterest in the way a line does things - while a negative - does not mean that avoiding the line is necessarily logical. Each choice of itinerary reflects: a choice of date, destination, intervening ports, and (necessarily) price. You just have to pick the best (or possibly the least annoying) option whenever you make any decision.