Coming Back To Princess...but... re: Royal Changes.

LastUsernameEver

It's been a while since I've sailed on Princess...since 2013 actually. But, in looking at the newer ships (Royal Class I guess) I was sort of horrified to see that there is no actual wraparound promenade. I remember when it felt like a "cheat" when Princess added stairs to the forward part of the (then) newer promenades on other ships.

I hope that this isn't a trend that will continue forever.

I see even the Majestic coming out next year has the same "Almost Balconies" instead of a real Promenade...but, I hope people, like this board perhaps...has been making a stink about this, as *I* would have done, had I been active here.

Nope, no promenade just a few big balconies. I think when the Royal first came out that was one of the negatives people discussed. They do have a nice walking track way up high but I know that is not quite the same. When we were on the Royal we were told that none of the newer builds on other cruise lines have them. Don't know if that is true. My gut tells me that in order to have a bigger Piazza (atrium) they have no promenade and also all the balconies are only 4' deep instead of 5'.

Frankly we enjoyed the Royal in spite of it's shortcomings because it does have other things that are better (bigger atrium, Alfredo's and the very large Horizon Court).

Hmmm. Well, I've gotten used to so many changes in the past. Sanctuary, Movies Under The Stars, Specialty DR's,etc. Maybe I can handle this one.

It was always nice to be able to walk from the aft Theater all the way to the Princess theater on the Promenade, without navigating crowds found inside at different attractions (Photo Gallery).

Sigh. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply though.

Nope, no promenade just a few big balconies. I think when the Royal first came out that was one of the negatives people discussed. They do have a nice walking track way up high but I know that is not quite the same. When we were on the Royal we were told that none of the newer builds on other cruise lines have them. Don't know if that is true. My gut tells me that in order to have a bigger Piazza (atrium) they have no promenade and also all the balconies are only 4' deep instead of 5'.

Frankly we enjoyed the Royal in spite of it's shortcomings because it does have other things that are better (bigger atrium, Alfredo's and the very large Horizon Court).

Hmmm. Well, I've gotten used to so many changes in the past. Sanctuary, Movies Under The Stars, Specialty DR's,etc. Maybe I can handle this one.

It was always nice to be able to walk from the aft Theater all the way to the Princess theater on the Promenade, without navigating crowds found inside at different attractions (Photo Gallery).

Sigh. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply though.

The photo gallery on the Royal is on deck 6, port side, above the Piazza. You will not have to walk through it to get to different attractions. Despite many of the disappointments in the changes from Grand Class ships we did enjoy ourselves the 48 days we spent on the Royal.

The photo gallery on the Royal is on deck 6, port side, above the Piazza. You will not have to walk through it to get to different attractions. Despite many of the disappointments in the changes from Grand Class ships we did enjoy ourselves the 48 days we spent on the Royal.

Thanks for the info.

45 Days! Wow...not sure if I could stand that much relaxation. Or that much FOOD! ;-)

I hope people, like this board perhaps...has been making a stink about this, as *I* would have done, had I been active here.

They did.

But despite people here thinking they are all powerful,

Princess build Majestic as they (Princess) wished.

I understand how you feel when the promenade deck had to give way for the new ship layout on the Royal, Regal and now Majestic. But when we first boarded the Royal and Regal, we noticed more the additions, like Alfredo's, Bellini's, Ocean Terrace Seafood, and the additional outside sitting. Also the expanded Horizon Court. It's what made us come back, and booked another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be sailing on the Royal for the first time next month and are very disappointed that there is no real promenade deck. We understand that there are others new features on the ship and we are looking forward to experiencing them. We'll just have to see what we think about the ship as a whole after the cruise is over.

To the OP, we understand your disappointment. We love walking the promenade deck and being close to the ocean. Some folks have suggested walking on the treadmill in the gym. They don't understand. It's just not the same thing. The Disney Fantasy is our favorite ship with a lovely promenade deck. We also enjoyed our Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess and made great use of the promenade deck for viewing as well as walking. As a result we've booked the Coral for a future Panama Canal cruise. Won't even consider the Island.

Oasis of the Seas has a full promenade. Only problem is the lifeboats are on it and you can only see the ocean in two places. The rest is a tunnel that people use as a running track. We do miss the covered Promenade on Royal/Regal but the gelato bar helps make up for this...

Edited by LeeW

Yes miss the promenade deck but for me the other features of Royal and Regal more than make up for it. Love the walking/jogging circle up on Sports deck. For serious walkers and runners it is nice not having to dodge sightseers, smokers (most promenade decks have smoking area at rear), etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Yes miss the promenade deck but for me the other features of Royal and Regal more than make up for it. Love the walking/jogging circle up on Sports deck. For serious walkers and runners it is nice not having to dodge sightseers, smokers (most promenade decks have smoking area at rear), etc.

Thanks for saying what we have been saying for years now since the Royal class ships first launched. We have been on this class ships for nearly 90 days and loved every minute. We walk a lot and the between the walking track on deck 18 and a nice stroll on the Promenade deck we get our enjoyment.

The added features make a big difference to us. If the Promenade Deck was the most important feature to us, there are Princess ships that fill that need and we would book them.

We took a tour (Bon Voyage Experience) of the Regal this month after our Caribbean Princess cruise. I wanted to see it firsthand before booking a cruise on it. After touring it, I can see us sailing on the Regal. I'll miss my promenade walks, but there are still plenty of ways for me to get my daily goal of steps.

We took a tour (Bon Voyage Experience) of the Regal this month after our Caribbean Princess cruise. I wanted to see it firsthand before booking a cruise on it. After touring it, I can see us sailing on the Regal. I'll miss my promenade walks, but there are still plenty of ways for me to get my daily goal of steps.

I would love to do that to check out the ship but... I'm on the wrong coast for a Regal BVE!

I understand how you feel when the promenade deck had to give way for the new ship layout on the Royal, Regal and now Majestic. But when we first boarded the Royal and Regal, we noticed more the additions, like Alfredo's, Bellini's, Ocean Terrace Seafood, and the additional outside sitting. Also the expanded Horizon Court. It's what made us come back, and booked another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm just starting my research on Regal. I know Alfredo's is a free Italian/pizza place. Can you tell me what Bellini's is? and Ocean Terrace Seafood?:)

Nevermind. I used Search.

Edited by mafig

I'm just starting my research on Regal. I know Alfredo's is a free Italian/pizza place. Can you tell me what Bellini's is? and Ocean Terrace Seafood?:)

Nevermind. I used Search.

Bellini's is a bar overlooking the Piazza that specializes in making Bellinis. They are really good. Ocean Terrace is also a bar overlooking the Piazza, one floor above Bellinis, that has various sushi and seafood appetizers available (all are extra fee).

The Regal also has a wonderful International Café with various foods 24/7, no additional fee, and a fabulous buffet with a great variety and quality of foods throughout the day.

There is a downside to a Promenade deck. Passengers in cabins directly below often experience early morning noises from people walking (maybe even running) above their bedroom.

Putting a jogging / walking track at the top of the ship stops sleeping passengers being woken up.

Promenade decks (and warm weather open decks) were always popular in the days of ocean liners but with modern ship design they have largely been superseded by the open lido decks and are really now mainly used for boarding survival craft.

Why won't you consider the Island? Isn't it a sister ship to the Coral, the ship you like?

It USED to be a sister ship to the Coral. But, a major drydock a couple years ago added a number of cabins while at the same time reducing and eliminating some of the public spaces.

There is a downside to a Promenade deck. Passengers in cabins directly below often experience early morning noises from people walking (maybe even running) above their bedroom.

I'm not sure which ships have cabins on the deck below Promenade...but not the Star. You might be thinking of cabins below the old "Running Track", now gone.

Why won't you consider the Island? Isn't it a sister ship to the Coral, the ship you like?

If the Promenade deck is a big deal to you, you won't enjoy the Island. They took out the Vista lounge and all of the back decks below Lido deck on down to put in more cabins. So there is no longer a wraparound Promenade deck. They were slated to do the same thing to the Coral earlier this year but thankfully did not.

Edited by azbirdmom

My DH misses the walk on the promenade deck as do others. The only other thing he misses is the free sauna and steam room. That said the royal princess is our favorite princess ship - haven't made it on the regal yet.

No promenade and you have to pay for sauna. This is too much. New ships giants so what is better on Royal and Regal compare to the Grand xlass or the Pacific Princes wich is my favorite ship

:mad:

No promenade and you have to pay for sauna. This is too much. New ships giants so what is better on Royal and Regal compare to the Grand xlass or the Pacific Princes wich is my favorite ship

:mad:

I give Carnival Corp credit for escaping the trap that killed General Motors: letting their brands become too much the same. CCL seem to have decided that Princess will be "modern luxury" on larger ships, while HAL will be traditional luxury on smaller ships. With Carnival at the bottom and Seabourn at the top they have a well-differentiated line-up -- but that means Princess is changing.

I give Carnival Corp credit for escaping the trap that killed General Motors: letting their brands become too much the same. CCL seem to have decided that Princess will be "modern luxury" on larger ships, while HAL will be traditional luxury on smaller ships. With Carnival at the bottom and Seabourn at the top they have a well-differentiated line-up -- but that means Princess is changing.

I could not agree more. I also think that most for-profit companies are thinking in terms of "revenue generating space". This has been a tough nut to swallow for us traditionalists- but it seems to be the wave (ha! pun intended!!) of the future...