why are the lifeboats hosed off

luckyinpa

Some people do sleep out on the balcony and they drag the mattress out with them. I wouldn't want that bed on the next cruise.

Yes we don't need another person saying that ----insert cruise ship here---- have really gone downhill since the good old days [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In even the cleanest of harbors, the boats will pick up grime at the waterline, and you don't want boats hanging there with "bathtub rings". Salt crystals are abrasive and can ruin the gel coat of the fiberglass. Even the short time the boats are in the water, they pick up very small marine growth that attaches to the hull. When out of the water, this stuff will dry out and die, but it then provides a larger "attachment" spot for further marine growth, until you've got a "beard" around the water line.

They wash the boats down at night for the same reason they wash the pool deck down at night; there's no one around. My guess is that they were using a pressure washer for the boats (the same system they use for the balconies at turn around, and the pool deck and promenade nightly, it's piped around the ship), and you don't want bystanders around when using 3000-5000 psi water jets that can flay the skin right off of you.

It keeps the ocean snakes away. Their name is a misnomer, although they live NEAR the ocean, they actually hate to get wet, so a regular washing down of the lifeboats warns the ocean snakes not to even think of hiding in a lifeboat.

was on NCL last week and we were out on the balcony in the middle of the night. couldnt figure out where the weird noise was coming from then looked down and saw someone hosing off lifeboats

doesnt rain do the same thing?

uhh no. all rain does is get things wet. you have to pressure wash anything to get it clean/remove the salt spray encrusted on the sides.

not Strange at all. least impact on the ship's normal operations. would YOU want to be taking a stroll along the decks on a sunny afternoon while the lifeboats are being hosed off?!

You are so right. We were on a recent Serenade cruise, and they decided to hose down the Promenade deck at 11am. What's up with that? People were out there reading, walking, napping, etc. and everybody had to move. Much better they do it at night and inconvenience the least number of people.:)

Strange they were doing it at night though.:confused:

not Strange at all. least impact on the ship's normal operations. would YOU want to be taking a stroll along the decks on a sunny afternoon while the lifeboats are being hosed off?!

I meant that it is strange that they would make all the noise in the middle of the night. Normally they clean them in the morning and cordon off a small section of the promenade at a time.

You are so right. We were on a recent Serenade cruise, and they decided to hose down the Promenade deck at 11am. What's up with that? People were out there reading, walking, napping, etc. and everybody had to move. Much better they do it at night and inconvenience the least number of people.:)

I don't think waking people up in the middle of the night from the noise isn't too convenient either.

I don't think waking people up in the middle of the night from the noise isn't too convenient either.

I think if people were being woken up by the cleaning of the lifeboats/decks we would have heard it ourselves or read about it on here.

Edited by Karysa

I think if people were being woken up by the cleaning of the lifeboats/decks we would have heard it ourselves or read about it on here.

Possibly although there are not many CC members compared to all passengers cruising.

The OP posted "in the middle of the night. couldn't figure out where the weird noise was coming from then looked down and saw someone hosing off lifeboats",.

Therefore, I took it as some people may have woken up, I am a light sleeper and wake up when someone comes down the corridor in the middle of the night let alone a weird noise.