Which guide book for port research?

soggy1975

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the port of calls bit but here goes.

We're a family of 4 going on our 1st cruise in Aug17.

We're spending 2 nights in barcelona before a 7nt w med cruise on ncl epic stopping at;naples,rome/civitsvecchia,pisa/livorno,cannes & palma.

I was looking at a guide book to help plan our on shore excursions and i've bookmarked the following;

Fodors european ports of call

Dk cruise guide to Europe and the med

Rick steves med cruise ports

Med by cruise ship by anne vipond

Which one do you advise? Thx

my standby has always been Frodor's. but just hit the local brick and mortar bookstore( yes there are still some around!) and start thumbing through.

some can be laid out differently and offer you a more personalized experience.

Rick Steves. He targets cruise passengers and DIY. He has audio tours to download to ipod/mp3 on his website (free) and you can print out maps to go with. We used them in Florence, Venice, Pompeii, Rome...EM

Rick Steves. He targets cruise passengers and DIY. He has audio tours to download to ipod/mp3 on his website (free) and you can print out maps to go with. We used them in Florence, Venice, Pompeii, Rome...EM

Rick Steves books for cruisers are great! Also Google Toms port guides online and free!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Phayyte

If you plan on doing anything on your own then the Rick Steve's guides are the best. And we should also mention that fantastic Cruise Critic Ports of Call Boards where you can find out just about anything. If you have a specific question just ask it here on CC and you will soon get very good answers.

Hank

Fodors has good maps. Frommers good all around. Lonely Planet will discuss public transportation and budget things.RS just kind of bla to me. Tripadvisor.com too. Your library should have all of them. They all have websites too.also GOOGLE port names for more info.One guide book not comprehensive enough.

Edited by zoncom

When I did land trips in Europe, I didn't find the Rick Steves' guides held up to all the fuss. Rather boring and uninspiring....I guess if you want just information that would be fine, but I wanted ideas and inspiration too. My favourites were the DK Eyewitness Travel books (especially Top 10 Barcelona).

You have plenty of time, so you might not want to limit yourself to just one source. You can google each port and region on the internet, you could check your local library for material on each port - -and take notes on elements which interest you, you should talk it up on your cruise's roll call - some of your shipmates might have good information, and you might find one or more with whom you would want to share a tour or expedition.

You could certainly get some tips as to where to spend the night(s) before embarking - as well as debarking.

Don't laugh but we loved the Rick Steves Mediterranean Ports book. Order on Amazon and get a better price than on the RS website, the latest edition is dated Sept 2016 so it is very up to date.

Link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631213814/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483406510&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rick+steves+mediterranean+cruise+ports&dpPl=1&dpID=51zLekLxEcL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I did land trips in Europe, I didn't find the Rick Steves' guides held up to all the fuss. Rather boring and uninspiring....I guess if you want just information that would be fine, but I wanted ideas and inspiration too. My favourites were the DK Eyewitness Travel books (especially Top 10 Barcelona).

We get both the DK "top 10" small books and the e-version of the Rick Steves regional book if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first time we took DD to Europe was a Eurorail vacation when she was 9 years old. As part of her "travel training" I asked her to research all the places we were planning to visit (in 4 countries) and think about ideas of things to do. When we got to Paris for a few days, our DD informed us that she had left her dress shoes home (it was intentional on her part) because her research found that it would be easy to buy nice shoes in Paris! Suffice it to say..she got her wish. And we never again told her to "research" trips.

Hank

I dont know fodors, but..............

Tom,s port guides are done by a willing amateur. So they,re limited to Tom,s own experiences, so they,re limited in scope and often a little out-of-date. No criticism, kudos to the guy for taking the trouble and it,s truly from the tourist,s perspective.

Rick Steves books - sorry, but they have their limitations too. I,ve read stuff on various places that I know well, including my home city of Southampton, England - some reports are overly-biased (for or against), a little is out-of-date, and some is just plain wrong.

Whatever source you want to use, if it,s an international one (like those two) , read about places you know well - that,ll give you an idea of how useful it is for your destinations.

JB :)

(Travelling, so limited by my iron-age I-Pad)