"Upgraded" and not happy

pwkwin

Booked 2 rooms and I had specifically chosen rooms on deck 7 on the RCCL Empress of the seas, its an obstructed view, had my confirmation showing this was paid for with my room numbers. When I received my email that my cruise documents are now available my rooms were changed to deck 3 unobstructed view. They said this is an upgraded room but to me it isn't and they will not change me back. I love to cruise but have motion sickness issues and I hate elevators due to claustrophobia so I always choose a middle deck for these reasons. When I asked why not give me my rooms back I was told they couldn't do that and they couldn't tell me why for confidential reasons. The ship is booked so I can't change to any other room on a higher floor. I was told I could change my crusie date, like that's an option when flights are already booked, but ended up getting $100 on board credit as compensation but I would rather have the rooms I paid for back. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so were you able to get your rooms back? I was never asked to change my room and they confirmed it on the phone that this was not done and they don't know why. I can't talk to the revenue department I only get customer service and they have no answers for me.

Booked 2 rooms and I had specifically chosen rooms on deck 7 on the RCCL Empress of the seas, its an obstructed view, had my confirmation showing this was paid for with my room numbers. When I received my email that my cruise documents are now available my rooms were changed to deck 3 unobstructed view. They said this is an upgraded room but to me it isn't and they will not change me back. I love to cruise but have motion sickness issues and I hate elevators due to claustrophobia so I always choose a middle deck for these reasons. When I asked why not give me my rooms back I was told they couldn't do that and they couldn't tell me why for confidential reasons. The ship is booked so I can't change to any other room on a higher floor. I was told I could change my crusie date, like that's an option when flights are already booked, but ended up getting $100 on board credit as compensation but I would rather have the rooms I paid for back. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so were you able to get your rooms back? I was never asked to change my room and they confirmed it on the phone that this was not done and they don't know why. I can't talk to the revenue department I only get customer service and they have no answers for me.

Congrats on your first post.

Never had an upgrade before and didn't know we could opt out of upgrades didn't think an upgrade would be a bad thing but guess I learned my lesson and will have to do that next time I cruise.

But if I don't want it how can they make me take it? I know this sound petty but its kind of annoying to me.

Unfortunately, the cruise contract you agreed to says they can pretty much move you anywhere they want to.

Maybe you'd best go back and read it.

Sorry I sympathize, but "Buyer Beware" applies to all of us.

The upgrade preferences are in your Crown and Anchor profile so you must first be a member.

Edited by BecciBoo

Once we had a balcony booked on the hump and Royal really wanted it (they had booked a large group on the deck and wanted the room) so they offered me $200 OBC to move. I had my choice of rooms in that category and since we were so far out from sailing I snagged an aft balcony. Is there anything available you could live with and see if they will set you up with it?

Edited by heavenlysea

Unfortunately, the cruise contract you agreed to says they can pretty much move you anywhere they want to.

Maybe you'd best go back and read it.

Sorry I sympathize, but "Buyer Beware" applies to all of us.

The upgrade preferences are in your Crown and Anchor profile so you must first be a member.

Where? I do not doubt you have seen it there, however I just read through the contract and cannot find it.

Where? I do not doubt you have seen it there, however I just read through the contract and cannot find it.

Section 6a pretty much lets them do whatever they want.

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or o the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port

of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

It may not be comfort to the OP, but lower decks (and midship) generate less motion. You should have less motion problems with the lower deck cabin. If you are claustrophobic in elevators, just simulate bad gas pains. That should clear the crowd. 🤣 (Just kidding on that one.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Section 6a pretty much lets them do whatever they want.

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or o the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port

of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

Answers my question. Thank you

They wouldn't be able to make preference changes in C&A because this is their first cruise, you have to complete your first cruise before you can join ?

You can enrol before you cruise but you require 3 nights to be gold level.

Just done it for friends

It may not be comfort to the OP, but lower decks (and midship) generate less motion. You should have less motion problems with the lower deck cabin.

That was the first thing I thought of as well. Inside cabin as close to the water level would have the least amount of motion on the ship Higher up you go and further away from the center the more motion one will feel.

Unless the occupants of their old cabins have marked "no upgrade" on their preference no reason why RCI couldn't upgrade them to the deck 3 unobstructed. Or find others that have not marked the "no upgrade". Call back again and again until you find someone that might help you.

Don't know if this applies to the situation but I read that they will move guests if they need a cabin with a larger capacity than the number of guests booked to accommodate a larger party. So if 2 people book a cabin that can hold 4 and they need to place a party of 4, they will move the party of 2 to another cabin. They will do the same with accessible cabins.

The only reasons I have ever heard of this happening is 1) if you possibly booked a room that accommodates more than 2 people for only 2 people. This isn't that rare, and my husband and I always make sure we book a room for 2 max (even though the website will let us book a room for 3 or 4) so we don't get bumped from our room. 2). Someone with a disability needed that room for some reason. That it was medically necessary for someone to have that room, or connects to a room that someone in their party needed for medical reasons. 3). I have also heard of people being bumped for military members.