NCL Sucks!

Andykim

Booked a cruise on April 23 to Western Carribean and found out the price was reduced drastically. Called customer service and they were pretty rude about not being able to do anything. Made the decision to go on this cruise because the agent I spoke to said there will not be any sales in the near future of this cruise. Has this happened to anyone and had a different result? After this, I do not think I will ever sale with NCL.

*Lesson: Don't make early reservations, because it may most likely go on sale, because they want to pack the ship.*

Sorry you are so upset but you have been on CC long enough to know how price drops, if any, work especially after final payment. What cruise line will you be sailing in the future that will refund your money less than a month away. I'm not being snarky, I am very much interested. Perhaps you can see if a higher category is what/less than what you paid and upgrade. Good luck.

Booked a cruise on April 23 to Western Carribean and found out the price was reduced drastically. Called customer service and they were pretty rude about not being able to do anything. Made the decision to go on this cruise because the agent I spoke to said there will not be any sales in the near future of this cruise. Has this happened to anyone and had a different result? After this, I do not think I will ever sale with NCL.

*Lesson: Don't make early reservations, because it may most likely go on sale, because they want to pack the ship.*

Always book a week before you sail for the lowest fare. Same as hotels never book to early in advance.

We booked the Western Mediterranean cruise for $4200 dollars back in October in a Balcony Stateroom. The price has dropped dramatically to $889 per person. We have not done the final payment, in fact the cruise is in October. We called our Travel agent and asked her to get us the price and she did. No problems, no hassle. We did lose our original perks but got the new ones with an additional 100 dollar on board credit. I think once you do the final payment they don't offer price reduction and most likely offer extra on board credit, at least that has been my experience.

Did the price above your room category also drop? Was it close to what you paid? If you politely ask the cruise lines usually try to accommodate you. Maybe you can go to the next room category or get the OBC? I have gotten many upgrades and OBC when I saw a room price drop. It has never been much of a problem. Call and ask. If you used a travel agent, have them ask.

On our last cruise, on the Jade in November, the prices dropped about 2 weeks before we sailed. I called and politely asked for an upgrade. We were upgraded to a mini-suite. We have the same itinerary, also on the Jade, booked for April 23rd and it's almost sold out. The last prices shown were over $600 more per person for the same category. You win some, you lose some. Book the cabin you want, at the price you are comfortable with, and don't expect anything else. That way, you'll either be happy or extra happy

Always book a week before you sail for the lowest fare. Same as hotels never book to early in advance.

Not always.

I booked our cruise in two weeks time almost two years ago. The current price for an equivalent cabin is now almost double what we paid, although you apparently can't actually book it at the moment, as it there may not be any cabins left (some people on our roll call are waiting to see if they can get on).

Our summer cruise is 25% higher now than we booked at. This one could come down nearer the time (although I doubt it as there also aren't many cabins left), but there are no cabins in the category we wanted for that cruise.

Same with hotels. I always book on a cancellable rate as soon as I know that we want to stay somewhere. If I book a decent amount of time out then the prices generally rise and very rarely do they fall below what we got. Usually if they do it is because of a sale, rather than last minute clearing. A great advantage of hotels is the ability to book cancellable rooms.

Your advice is good for many times of the year if you have flexibility, but it certainly isn't something people should always do.

Definitely not good advice. We travel every week and last minute hotels and air are horrible.

Edited by BirdTravels

Usually those drastic price cuts to fill the ship in the last few weeks don't include perks.

Forget cabin rate, take your total package that you have now, and figure out what the new total, bottom line, out the door price would be. Also factor in what your travel costs to and from the ship would be if you made arrangements now versus when you originally did.

I would be shocked if you total costs involved would have changed by more than 5% in your favor, and so not worth getting very upset over. All cruise lines have similar pricing policies.

Go, get some sun, get drunk, fool around with your significant other, eat too much, make some friends, have fun.

Along with my Captain's Socks joke.

What a shame.

I mean if the thread has run it's course, just close it.

I bought those captain socks for my Dads Xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bought those captain socks for my Dads Xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bought those same socks for my dads birthday . They went on sale the next week . Costco sucks ! :evilsmile:

I am sorry this happened to you and do understand the frustration but let me put one more bug in your ear about early/last minute bookings.

We booked our next cruise the day it was put on line. So last August. We got a great price on our mini-suite. By January of this year that room was $300.00 more per person and now here we sit at the end of March and the ship is sold out. We are still 200 days away.

So my thought has always been book early, watch the prices and if things go down call them. They credit you as long as you are before final payment date. Of course you have to see what perks are being offered at that time. However, if you do not book and you wait, there may not be a cabin available or one that you would want.

You must be a top tier customer because even D+ customers can't get price reductions after final payment date.

Bill

Nope...I just called when the price went down...They cancelled my cruise and rebooked it at the new price

Only rule is it has to happen before final payment 😀

Apple meet Orange. LOL.

Don't most if not all honor price drops that are before final payment date (in the U.S. anyway)?

OP, your next cruise after this one may be like mine -- prices have nearly doubled since I booked. If I do some "mental mathematical justification" I figure I have "saved" about two thousand dollars on this sailing by booking early, which easily offsets the $400 or so another cruise went down after final payment. Overall, I am way to the good.

You need to cruise more to average out your losses ;)