New Ship 2020

mllewis48

Learned while having dinner with the Environmental Officer on the Eurodam during our Repo that the next ship after the Nieuw Statendam, scheduled for the fall of 2019, will be the Monnickendam coming in 2020. News to us but possibly some were already aware of this unique name. I believe there is a city in the Netherlands named Monnickendam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

Would they ever consider naming a ship after a port city in N. America or other parts of Europe? Seattle, Vancouver, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Athens are cities HAL sails too. It is called Holland America Line, so maybe try to be less Holland-centric?

-Paul

No offense whatsoever but I do believe you were told a tall tail.

Don't think so I sat with that officer at dinner when he made a call to confirm the name with another officer. What makes you think that it was a "tall tail"?

Don't think so I sat with that officer at dinner when he made a call to confirm the name with another officer. What makes you think that it was a "tall tail"?

In defense of the "Punk," the first thing I thought was that this must be a prank post. And then I highlighted "Monnickendam," right-clicked and did a Google search and saw that it was a real place, in Holland no less. And then my next thought was: "but people cannot even pronounce 'Koningsdam,' and that's really easy.

Now that I've said it a few times in my head, I like it. Folks will call her the Monica, I bet.

I don't believe they would pick such a difficult name, or this far away from construction beginning.

Believe what you wish but I, and 7 other guests, will take the word of a top officer that we enjoyed dinner with on the Eurodam [emoji17]

No more difficult than Koningsdam?

Believe what you wish but I, and 7 other guests, ...
I have no doubt that everyone heard him say it ... but that doesn't mean it's true. Maybe he is from Monnickendam and was having a little fun with you. Or maybe someone else was having a little fun with him. Time will tell.

I have no doubt that everyone heard him say it ... but that doesn't mean it's true. Maybe he is from Monnickendam and was having a little fun with you. Or maybe someone else was having a little fun with him. Time will tell.

I'm willing to bet this is a more likely explanation.

Lots of interesting speculation going on. On a recent cruise I heard that the nieuw Statendam will have some workers from Thailand instead of mainly Indonesia and the Philippines. Who knows if that is true,

I'm not calling you a liar, please know. I fully believe you were told this. But ship officers are often the last to know and have been known to spread false info about fleet updates, is all I'm saying. The new ship will be named via staff, per normal HAL routine, and as far as I know is months away from being finalized.

It will be Nieuw Maasdam imo as she will replace her and Veendam.

Learned while having dinner with the Environmental Officer on the Eurodam during our Repo that the next ship after the Nieuw Statendam, scheduled for the fall of 2019, will be the Monnickendam coming in 2020. News to us but possibly some were already aware of this unique name. I believe there is a city in the Netherlands named Monnickendam

Everything to date has indicated the Nieuw Statendam was delivering fall of 2018 and the next ship 2020. What news do you have that makes the NS a year late?