Royal introduces non refundable booking option.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: if that ever happens - CC will have a melt down.

Some cruise lines clearly state baggage restrictions for both weight and number of items, but they have never been enforced so they are largely ignored. I've said in the past, and believe it still, bag fees over a certain limit are probably not very far off.

We grilled the NC sales person for this when we booked the Presidential Suite next year. His advice, don't even touch the booking unless its to add passengers. Any change at all may be assessed the fee.

Personally, I do not understand in this age of consumer protection, how any company can keep your deposit. If you don't cruise and are not serviced in any way, you should not fail to receive your money back. Period! In our case $1000.

And his excuse of this whole change being in response to people booking suites and then canceling before final payment...horse hockey! Those rooms are always full and if not, they discount them. IMHO they're just trying to keep your money for nothing.:mad:

Airlines have had nonrefundable fares for years.

I suspect that the demand for premium staterooms (suites) is great enough that RCI can easily sell all of those rooms at maximum profit with this new policy. For every returning customer who balks at paying the nonrefundable deposit (and therefore foregoes booking a suite), there will probably be at least one new customer who will happily pay it at least once.

Also with new ships and added capacity coming soon to all of the lines there is increased competition, even as demand increases. The deposit has value to the guest because it gives the guest a confirmed room assignment even if another paying customer for that room comes along later and is willing to pay more for it.

The airline equivalent of the nonrefundable deposit for a suite is the fee for the extra legroom seats. That fee is high enough that it attracts just enough people to pay it without having to turn away too many would-be buyers. It is a mechanism to manage demand for a product of limited supply while maximizing profitability. The alternative would be to auction off suites to the highest bidder.

I liked the peace of mind that came with refundable deposits especially when booking a year or more out, but I will be willing to risk losing the deposit in return for the guarantee of a particular room as long as that guarantee has value to me.

Airlines have had nonrefundable fares for years.

Yes but the also offer refundable fares. You never see them advertised or quoted on the third party sites. They are often more than double the non-refundable prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has a non-refundable category called Early Saver, which is cheaper and provides price protection up to like 3 days from sailing. It is a great program and a good value, if you are willing to be locked into your date and sailing. Hotels do this sometimes too, have a non-refundable rate that is cheaper. You have to know what you are doing.

Yes but the also offer refundable fares. You never see them advertised or quoted on the third party sites. They are often more than double the non-refundable prices.

The Royal is still offering cabins with refundable deposits.

Hotels also offer a discount for rooms purchased with a nonrefundable deposit.

Maybe that's what RCL will do. The refundable fares will be the full non-discounted price and the non refundable ones will be the price with whatever promo RCL is offering at the time (30% off, every third day free etc):eek::halo:

Maybe that's what RCL will do. The refundable fares will be the full non-discounted price and the non refundable ones will be the price with whatever promo RCL is offering at the time (30% off, every third day free etc):eek::halo:

Yes, I highly suspect this will be the reality.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I believe this to be a good thing for the way we are able to book.

Some may not like it as in the past they booked several cruises with no intent of using them all, only to reserve the ones they could cherry pick from and then transfer their other deposits over to the ones used.

Your post may have hit on the problem exactly!!! Too many cabins being tied up for a year or more and then no booking results. After all, you cannot be on 2 different ships at the same time. Meanwhile, some one else is shut out because the cabin has been "reserved".

MARAPRINCE

I really like the concept of this but am waiting to see it in action before passing too much of a judgement on it. Again, the concept of two ways and having the ability to book a trip you absolutely know you will be going on (for a big anniversary, etc) it just seems like this is extra money, since onboard credit can be used for gratuities, drink packages, specialty restaurants, etc. We'll know more soon enough.

I'm really interested to see how if at all this affects the UK site £s pricing in comparison to US site since there can be no such incentive to UK as non refundable/no price drops is already in place.

I guess for the time being they'll continue with add ons as the UK promotions to hook you in - currently up to $1000 OBC, often drinks packages.

Interesting as well that this week they have started offering packages on the U.K. site with cruise + virgin Atlantic flights + hotels.

Since so many brits are used to booking 'package' holidays they have decided to offer it all up one price.

That is the way I read it.

I am guessing that with limited inventory of suites, they do not want passengers to be tying up the inventory. I would also guess that a good number of suite bookings get cancelled and thus that inventory was off the market.

I am sure they will monitor this and if successful, as in making them more money $$$, they might expand it to other cabin categories.

It is my understanding from talking to a rep at RCCL today, that any bookings someone has made prior to July 1st, the rules in effect when you booked them will apply. I have 6 cruises that I currently have booked for travel after July 1st and these will not be affected by these new rules which start on July 1st...does anyone have any different info about this????

In my opinion, me booking a suite and then releasing it some number of months down the road is a win-win for them.

(1) they have my deposit money to use and /or invest without restriction

(2) I reserve my suites as soon as the itins become available which is (as a rule) the lowest price it is ever going to be. When I release that suite down the road, the price will have inevitably risen meaning that RCI can now sell it at an even more profitable level.

I am not a suite hog but I do book several suites a year. This policy is going to force me to reevaluate my cruising frequency with RCI.

It is my understanding from talking to a rep at RCCL today, that any bookings someone has made prior to July 1st, the rules in effect when you booked them will apply. I have 6 cruises that I currently have booked for travel after July 1st and these will not be affected by these new rules which start on July 1st...does anyone have any different info about this????

I have been told the same as you...but also...if you move any of these "grandfathered" bookings they will become subject to the non refundable deposit rule.

My understanding is if you move it after July 1st, then you must choose refundable or non-refundable and that would affect the pricing and any obc that you may receive with the changed booking or you can cancel if you are outside the final booking date.:)

If they would bring back Next Cruise certificates with the same OBC potential as specific cruises, there would be no reason for placeholder cruises.

Exactly.....I don't like having to book place-holders and take up space that I know I'm not going to use...but what else can I do when the bookings haven't been released yet when I'm onboard. We normally would buy the maximum number (3 pp) of FCC aka NCC years ago.

I agree. Whether the fares are low enough to make me want to fully commit to a particular ship and sail date that remains to be seen. It's certainly not worth the $50 OBC for a week long cruise in a balcony.
My sentiments exactly.

My understanding is if you move it after July 1st, then you must choose refundable or non-refundable and that would affect the pricing and any obc that you may receive with the changed booking or you can cancel if you are outside the final booking date.:)
Thanks for posting. I have 6 bookings with one or two that I may want to move.

In my opinion, me booking a suite and then releasing it some number of months down the road is a win-win for them.

(1) they have my deposit money to use and /or invest without restriction

(2) I reserve my suites as soon as the itins become available which is (as a rule) the lowest price it is ever going to be. When I release that suite down the road, the price will have inevitably risen meaning that RCI can now sell it at an even more profitable level.

Yet the number of times W-Suite Guarantees - at substantially lower prices than previous suite pricing - arise late in the piece when a bunch of suites get released back to inventory demonstrates your opinion isn't supported by evidence.

I have been told the same as you...but also...if you move any of these "grandfathered" bookings they will become subject to the non refundable deposit rule.

For now you still have a choice between refundable or non

This one makes more sense as "for now" you can still pick refundable or non refundable

John, who is amused that the same folks who say $50 or $100 OBC isn't worth having a non refundable deposit are the same folks who will chase a $12 price reduction.:')

Beatles tribute band on Rhapsody tonight. :D:beer-toast::beer-toast: