Royal introduces non refundable booking option.

"Place Holder Cruise" is one of the reason(s) for this new policy.

If they would bring back Next Cruise certificates with the same OBC potential as specific cruises, there would be no reason for placeholder cruises.

"Place Holder Cruise" is one of the reason(s) for this new policy.

I agree completely. Plus I would wager that a large number of the calls that their call centers take are people moving around all of their many phantom cruises and they're looking for ways to reduce that. Those of you that are shareholders should be glad that they're doing their job which is reducing costs and maximizing profit.

You can avoid this by not booking a non-refundable deposit fare, or a GS/guarantee. Or risk the $100 that isn't refundable and hope for the best. I'd probably be willing to gamble $100 if the rate was cheap enough.

If they would bring back Next Cruise certificates with the same OBC potential as specific cruises, there would be no reason for placeholder cruises.

Agreed.

But it's really just one of the reasons for this new policy. As each cruise has it's 'chair hogs', each cruise also has 'cabin hogs'. With the limited amount of suites and highly desirable balconies (corner aft as example), these cabins are often scarfed up by some that know that they will not be used, yet remove them from inventory as a just in case scenario. RCCL is attempting to address this. They may have missed the mark in their attempts, but there is no doubt that RCCL is indeed attempting to correct the reserving behavior of some.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Never looked into NC Certificates, started cruising seriously only in last 3 years.

Maybe we are talking about two different things. A single place holder cruise doesn't seem to be the issue as we see it. Our issue has been local cruisers who book most all weekends on 3 night cruises, only to later cherry pick the weekends they want as they could just transfer deposits to fund the weekends they want.

Another way to resolve this is to increase the timeframe for final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed.

But it's really just one of the reasons for this new policy. As each cruise has it's 'chair hogs', each cruise also has 'cabin hogs'. With the limited amount of suites and highly desirable balconies (corner aft as example), these cabins are often scarfed up by some that know that they will not be used, yet remove them from inventory as a just in case scenario. RCCL is attempting to address this. They may have missed the mark in their attempts, but there is no doubt that RCCL is indeed attempting to correct the reserving behavior of some.

Well stated. As with most things, find a loophole and take advantage of it. We are our own worst enemies.

Not sure it was intended to stop the single "place-holder" bookings but multiple bookings to insure one can cherry pick the dates at a later date thus preventing many of us from booking those cabins until after final payment.

I think Royal is close to a fix but they should have included JS. Two ships only have balconies JS and above. Empress doesn't have GS.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

The price will have to be considerably lower for me to commit to a non-refundable deposit- and I don't forsee that happening time will tell

I suspect the whole idea is that in the long run booking with a refundable deposit the price WILL be higher. This is clearly the beginning of phasing our refundable deposits.

If I book a long haul flight on sale, I have to pay a fee of between $100-$400 to change it. If I book a non-refundable hotel night, I can save usually at least $30 a night over the price of a night which can be moved or cancelled.

I have travel insurance so if I have to change plans because of unforeseen events I am covered. I don't think I would be covered if I was just booking lots of different fares 'in case' I wanted to use one of them.

It seems that RCI is moving to the same model as many airlines, hotels and other travel providers.

Not happening. They want to slowly make the booking rules the same across the world. This is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things - wait till price drops go away like the rest of the world.

"The Non-Refundable Deposit fare will default at the Best Rate whenever available"

The first glance impact for me is it will make it harder to price shop cruises because it will add another layer to due diligence.

Similar when I shop Carnival, I generally do not want to participate in Early Saver rates due to restrictions, but to view other rates requires an additional layer of digging in. And also all T/A's generally only display the Early Saver rates because they are lowest.

I do understand the change fee component seems more palatable to many when faced with an entirely lose deposit for cancellation. While I don't like fees as a consumer, for the business it keeps you in-house and generates some additional incremental revenue.

And I thought not being able to courtesy hold a room while getting a few ducks in a row was a nuisance...

If I read it properly GS and above guests who cancel prior to final payment give up their $100 per person "fee" and only get the remainder back in a FCC not a cash refund as previously done. It has to be applied in the next year other wise it expires.

The MBA High Five heard 'round Miami.

Not happening. They want to slowly make the booking rules the same across the world. This is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things - wait till price drops go away like the rest of the world.

If deposits become non refundable and price drops go away, real sale prices should return. :evilsmile:

If deposits become non refundable and price drops go away, real sale prices should return. :evilsmile:

The NA market is very competitive - it's just a matter of who does it first. My guess is RCI won't do it until Carnival or NCL does it.

According to this, there's no change in current deposit structure, so cancelling after booking this way could become quite expensive. I'll reserve judgement for now, but that certainly makes it less appealing for early bookings.

It does mention in the second form that if you cancel the cruise, you do get a future cruise certificate, good for 1 year, minus the $100pp change fee. So for a party of 2, cancelling the cruise will lose you $200 of deposit and require you to rebook within a year.

If I read it properly GS and above guests who cancel prior to final payment give up their $100 per person "fee" and only get the remainder back in a FCC not a cash refund as previously done. It has to be applied in the next year other wise it expires.

It's hard to use it up especially when you already have multiple bookings within that year.

That's the way I read it too, plus also applicable to guarantee bookings.

NO REFUNDS! :eek:

Only a FCC for whatever remains after the $100pp fee if canceled before final payment date.

That's a pretty hefty fee, especially if you book and have to cancel a triple or quad, so I don't foresee many families choosing that option (unless, but more likely until, it's the only option allowed). While it won't affect me after this year as I will be cruising solo, in the past I have booked place holder triple/quad. So I am guilty of tying up at least one cabin that I wouldn't be using on ships that have too few triple/quads to begin with. Currently, this new NRD policy will do nothing to alleviate that but I can see it being extended to all bookings.

Another thing to note is the NRD cruise must be booked at least 6 months in advance in order to qualify for the OBC. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how long it will be before ANY cruises booked LESS than 6 months in advance are automatically NRD? :confused:

~ Judy

We grilled the NC sales person for this when we booked the Presidential Suite next year. His advice, don't even touch the booking unless its to add passengers. Any change at all may be assessed the fee.

Personally, I do not understand in this age of consumer protection, how any company can keep your deposit. If you don't cruise and are not serviced in any way, you should not fail to receive your money back. Period! In our case $1000.

And his excuse of this whole change being in response to people booking suites and then canceling before final payment...horse hockey! Those rooms are always full and if not, they discount them. IMHO they're just trying to keep your money for nothing.:mad:

Personally, I do not understand in this age of consumer protection, how any company can keep your deposit.

Because you agree to it at the time of booking - what a concept. BTW, it's always been that way outside of NA.

That's the way I read it too, plus also applicable to guarantee bookings.

NO REFUNDS! :eek:

Only a FCC for whatever remains after the $100pp fee if canceled before final payment date.

That's a pretty hefty fee

$100 pp is nothing compared to the loss of deposit rule we've been subject to for years. Here in UK and Europe (depending on exchange rate) it's been as high as $250 pp lost when you cancel in recent years (current exchange rate of £/$ makes it around $200). No FCC either because the whole of the deposit is non refundable.

$100 pp is getting off lightly IMHO. Perhaps we're getting to a level playing field at last. ;)

Edited by peteukmcr

There is some similarity to Early Saver with Carnival in that part of the deposit is non-refundable, and there is a change fee imposed.

With ES, if you change anything OTHER than upgrading, you will be assessed a $50/pp fee. If you cancel or change ships, you lose $50/pp and the balance of your deposit ($200 unless there is a reduced deposit option) is given as a future cruise credit. If you book a new cruise, you then have to pay the deposit and have the credit applied (some have managed to avoid this by booking a new cruise at the same time, which seems to allow them to move the balance of the deposit over as part of the new deposit).

The selling feature to ES is that you get price drops up to about 2 days before sailing. Once final passes, no price drops for anyone else; only upgrading if you want to pay more (or your price matches a higher category). Most of the time, the fare with ES is lower, but for many with other promotional categories (senior, military) often there are fares that match ES without the change fee/loss of deposit, but no price drops after final.

This seems to be designed to eliminate booking multiple suites and then cancelling at final, leaving inventory to be discounted. It doesn't offer any other pricing incentive like late price drops, which might be a big seller to some. The lost fee is twice that of ES. But it is, at this time, only REQUIRED for suites and guarantee categories and available for others. I think that the guarantee category is going to be a sticking point for many, and maybe a way for them to start eliminating this category.

I have never been a fan of non refundable rates, since I travel with my mom and have 2 boys so there are times things have to change. I guess only time will tell if this is a prelude to something else, or a test balloon that will fail.

We grilled the NC sales person for this when we booked the Presidential Suite next year. His advice, don't even touch the booking unless its to add passengers. Any change at all may be assessed the fee.

Personally, I do not understand in this age of consumer protection, how any company can keep your deposit. If you don't cruise and are not serviced in any way, you should not fail to receive your money back. Period! In our case $1000.

And his excuse of this whole change being in response to people booking suites and then canceling before final payment...horse hockey! Those rooms are always full and if not, they discount them. IMHO they're just trying to keep your money for nothing.:mad:

But you are indeed serviced if you require RCL to hold for you a Suite, completely removing from available inventory. What they are saying by installing this policy is that in of itself is worthy and has a value to you and to them as well.

That sounds like it would work for me -- hope the refundable deposit cruise prices is not much, much higher like airline fares are.

The airlines did get that way over night, but they have and so now most accept change fees and the airline holding all your money until you fly them again.

I'm surprised the cruise lines have not gone down this path sooner, it fits very well with the get you hooked with a low base price model and nickel and dime you with extra fees. The model has also been very effective in filling almost every seat.

I'll bet we see bag fees next, the ground work is already set with the self assist option.

I am wondering if you can book a refundable fee cruise and convert it to non-refundable 6 months out to get the lower fare and OBC. Seems like a good strategy since 6 months out I would be pretty sure I am taking the cruise but 18 months out it is less certain. Of course the non-refundable price probably goes up over time for popular cruises.

I do suspect that the non-refundable fare will be the current "fake sale" pricing and the fully refundable fare will be their "normal" pricing that currently nobody ever pays.

So far I am not hearing that Celebrity is going this way. Probably only a mater of time...