Bringing booze aboard, May 2017

Having searched the forums and wondered if it was worth trying, I met a couple of experts on our recent Tampa-Barcelona cruise. I had bought a 1 liter rum-rummer and chickened out; they told me that a RR will work every time, but they had moved on to Camelbaks - a 3 liter new/old stock army surplus Camelbak with drinking tube and double sealed valve (so it can withstand high pressure such as a suitcase being squashed by other bags) costs $12 on eBay. I've ordered one for our next cruise!

I can't say if it will work, but since it looks like a RR, just bigger with a military valve system, it should. I'll let you know when I try next!

Having searched the forums and wondered if it was worth trying, I met a couple of experts on our recent Tampa-Barcelona cruise. I had bought a 1 liter rum-rummer and chickened out; they told me that a RR will work every time, but they had moved on to Camelbaks - a 3 liter new/old stock army surplus Camelbak with drinking tube and double sealed valve (so it can withstand high pressure such as a suitcase being squashed by other bags) costs $12 on eBay. I've ordered one for our next cruise!

I can't say if it will work, but since it looks like a RR, just bigger with a military valve system, it should. I'll let you know when I try next!

I wouldn't. Why risk a leak in your luggage let alone embarrassment. Pass...

I agree, I wouldn't want to risk spoiling all my clothes, and thus my cruise or have a very large cleaning bill. I have been to "the naughty room", (not for booze or anything, all was innocent). It's a pain having to go there to get your luggage, and if I did have something I would be so embarrassed (but I realise that some people aren't). It also seems a drag having to go back to the cabin every time you want a drink. I take my two bottles of wine so I can have a glass on the balcony if I choose. Otherwise, not worth it (to me).

"How I plan on scamming the cruise line" Cruise Critic is the worst Cruise Critic.

If you're planning on smuggling booze or sharing drink packages or pilfering all of the ketchup bottles on board, knock yourself out. But the need to talk about it on a public forum which is at least occasionally visited by cruise line reps is, at best, curious. People get caught or policies get changed (or more rigorously enforced) or prices raised because people can't keep their mouths shut.

I agree that leakage/puncture must be a risk with the 1L rum runner (another reason I didn't use it). On the other hand, the USMC version of the Camelbak (the one you see on eBay) is very resistant to puncture and the valve will withstand a lot of pressure, so risk of leakage is reduced (according to our onboard friends and Camelbak forums). When mine arrives I'll know more.

I'm very budget conscious, and could never drink enough to justify a drinks package: I stuck to the daily beer specials that were pretty good value, but I like the occasional vodka, so I'll try the camelbak next time.

I'm very budget conscious, and could never drink enough to justify a drinks package: I stuck to the daily beer specials that were pretty good value, but I like the occasional vodka, so I'll try the camelbak next time.

If you "like an occasional vodka" why not buy it - just like you buy your beer. You are contradicting yourself! If you get caught, and chances are that you will, you will lose the container and the vodka. Much more than the price of an occasional vodka.

Sorry, but if you can afford to cruise you can afford the vodka. Would you take to a bar at home? No sympathy if you get caught; in fact I think it's great when smugglers get caught.

" If you get caught"

You won't, use rum runners even if it breaks vodka will do no damage to your clothing. Better yet put it in your carry on, the port authority could not care less about alcohol they're looking for weapons / drugs.

"and chances are that you will"

If you put a large glass bottle or several 2 liters full you might, chances are slim

"you will lose the container and the vodka"

no big loss

"Much more than the price of an occasional vodka"

no not even close

"Sorry, but if you can afford to cruise you can afford the vodka"

nice to have drinks in your room and on balcony w/o having to run up stairs every 30 minutes

Would you take to a bar at home?

?

"No sympathy if you get caught"

nothing is going to happen if they do find it

"in fact I think it's great when smugglers get caught"

it's not drugs we're talking about here, geez

I have used rum runners many a time on several lines and never an issue. I do buy the drink package for convenience though but it is expensive.

Oh my gosh, a person posting in public how they are going to smuggle. Isn't that like a burglar smiling for the camera? Or taking a selfie and posting it on Facebook with their loot in hand?

Either smuggle, and don't broadcast it, or buy a package and enjoy it with a clear conscience.

If you "like an occasional vodka" why not buy it - just like you buy your beer. You are contradicting yourself! If you get caught, and chances are that you will, you will lose the container and the vodka. Much more than the price of an occasional vodka.

Sorry, but if you can afford to cruise you can afford the vodka. Would you take to a bar at home? No sympathy if you get caught; in fact I think it's great when smugglers get caught.

My sentiments too.

Oh my gosh, a person posting in public how they are going to smuggle. Isn't that like a burglar smiling for the camera? Or taking a selfie and posting it on Facebook with their loot in hand?

Either smuggle, and don't broadcast it, or buy a package and enjoy it with a clear conscience.

Why not just take what the cruise line allows on board and just enjoy your cruise.

The ol' rum runner has returned.

This thread is like a time warp going back at least 3 years......

3 Years? This been going on longer then that. I remember learning about these things 40 yrs ago at Bob Seger concert. People brought in those wine bags back then...

I feel like I'm watching an episode of Border Security. :) Worrying about it would totally ruin my vacation.

FYI, If you have Netflix, there is a pretty good Australian version of that type of show. That one cracks me up, lots of tourist from China or Vietnam who bring in 3 weeks of produce with them.