Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

31 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

We are East Bay, and I love the hot summers!  I'm also former tech/IT, so never really had to wear a tie / jacket to work other than for rare meetings, so dressing up is alien to me. 

All my 'slacks' (Khaki's / Dockers) were too tight, so I actually bought a new pair just for this trip!  Hopefully they'll see some usage over the next decade!   

Likewise (retired and ex tech/IT).  LIved on the Peninsula for awhile.  Yes I can appreciate it - my "slacks" (love Dockers) seem to have been shrinking since I retired 🙂

• Like 1

I have a question about excursion times, as I can't tell if all the transport time is included or not. If an excursion to, for example, a museum has a listed end time of 1pm, does that mean the bus leaves from the museum to go back to the ship at 1pm, or that the bus arrives back at the ship at 1pm?

1 minute ago, dream rabbit said:

I have a question about excursion times, as I can't tell if all the transport time is included or not. If an excursion to, for example, a museum has a listed end time of 1pm, does that mean the bus leaves from the museum to go back to the ship at 1pm, or that the bus arrives back at the ship at 1pm?

Back at the ship at 1pm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dream rabbit said:

Thank you! I thought as much... makes a lot of the excursions rather shorter than they look at first glance 😅

Depends on the excursion.  For some, part of the excursion isn't just the walking or museum, it might be the beautiful ride through the countryside.  On our excursion to Florence, for example, the ride was quite beautiful through the Tuscan countryside!

They have to state the times as departure time and arrival time to the ship, else everyone would be totally messed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

They have to state the times as departure time and arrival time to the ship, else everyone would be totally messed up.

The return time is also used to calculate if there is enough time to make a second tour that day. Return time plus at least half hour (can't ever remember the exact interval) tells the computer if there is a conflict or not (and that includes if there is a conflict with a dining reservation).

If you do have a time conflict for a second tour that day, do not give up hope.  If there is space, you can always buy the tour on the dock. Just talk with the shorex staff on the pier.

Also note that we are asked to report to the meeting point (stated in the Daily deliver to our cabin the evening before) 15 minutes prior to departure.

• Like 1

I don’t think it will be Viking’s policy—it will be the countries you are traveling in. If you’ve been reading the news the last nine months, I don’t think you want to risk ANY controlled substances.

That said, check with Viking to see if they ban it.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

What is Viking's policy about CBD gummies? I take these for sleep sometimes. Any insight would be helpful. Traveling in may different countries. TIA

Viking prohibits "illegal drugs". Given that Cannabis (or its importation) is illegal in most places around the world, I'd expect their policy to apply.20190826-Prohibited-Item-List (1).pdf

I would consider it extremely foolish to carry any CBD product outside your home - much of the world is not amused. 🍺🥌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

What is Viking's policy about CBD gummies? I take these for sleep sometimes. Any insight would be helpful. Traveling in may different countries. TIA

The WNBA player recently released from Russia provides some insight as to taking seemingly innocuous medications into another country 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

Illegal in most countries, even if legal there may be legal restrictions on import and use. 

Unless you are certain they are legal in all countries on the itinerary leave them at home

14 hours ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

As others have said, you would need to check to see what each country’s policy is regarding CBD. Here’s a start for Europe: https://www.theextract.co.uk/is-cbd-legal-worldwide/ . But rules change, so you would need to do further research to get the most up-to-date information for each country you’re visiting.

Seems like way too much work to me, but I guess it depends on how badly you want to bring those gummies. I can recommend a long walk and a cup of warm milk before bedtime as an alternative.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

I would be concerned with the laws in a number of the countries you are visiting, which have restrictions on many drugs and medications. Without checking my spreadsheet, some of them include - Singapore (severe penalties), Vietnam, Indonesia, Oman, Saudi Arabia and probably Egypt & Jordan.

You also need to be aware that you don't have to take them ashore to be in violation, as having them in your cabin, you have imported them once the ship enters the territorial waters of another country.

While the potential of being found in your cabin is low, the penalties are harsh, long prison terms to a death sentence. Therefore, I suggest leaving them at home.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cruisingin2223 said:

Viking prohibits CBD oil in their terms and conditions - 

Terms & Conditions - Viking Cruises (myvikingjourney.com)

Possession of Prohibited Items, Illegal Drugs and/or Marijuana: Marijuana possession or use, including medical marijuana and CBD oil, and possession or use of any illegal drugs, is strictly prohibited in many jurisdictions visited and on all ships at all times, as well as in terminals, during shore excursions or any other part of the cruise tour, regardless of any local, state, or other laws which might permit use or possession of marijuana. Passengers who violate the laws of any jurisdiction are subject to being reported to law enforcement or customs authorities, arrest and prosecution.
Passengers who bring dangerous items, marijuana (including medical marijuana) or any illegal drugs or controlled substances on board are also subject to immediate disembarkation or denial of boarding. You shall have no claim for refund, loss, damage, inconvenience or compensation whatsoever under any of these circumstances. Refer to the Passenger Ticket Contract for more details.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I would be concerned with the laws in a number of the countries you are visiting, which have restrictions on many drugs and medications. Without checking my spreadsheet, some of them include - Singapore (severe penalties), Vietnam, Indonesia, Oman, Saudi Arabia and probably Egypt & Jordan.

Dear God, I didn't know the itinerary, that is an allmost comprehensive list of countries that are extremely strict about illegally imported drugs/medication and a lengthy prison stay is likely to result. I have an idea that some have the death penalty and/or public lashes for drug smuggling, either intentional or unwitting. 

Smuggling drugs into them should not be suggested or joked about.

For my prescription stuff I usually only need a copy of the prescription and a letter from doctor, for Singapore and the Gulfs I also need to apply for a permit in advance (pre covid, haven't needed to check since) unless only staying airside in transit. Not a problem, their country their rules. Full instructions in English are on their government websites

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

FYI re tea options…..While on Viking Homelands this summer, I lost my voice. The lovely cabin steward brought me an electric kettle, along with a nice assortment of teas.   I was able to keep it in my room consistently for a few days.

I returned it to her after I was better and also returned to my American coffee habit.  (I had no idea this kettle was available to use—my cabin steward suggested it.)

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

TeaGate and PotGate are closed for discussion.  Do you want this thread to remain open for other topics?

Thank you, Host Jazzbeau.

Yes, please. Up to this point, this thread has been a great help to newbies looking to make the best of their first Viking cruise.  It would be great if it were permitted to continue doing what it has been doing so well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thank you, Host Jazzbeau.

Yes, please. Up to this point, this thread has been a great help to newbies looking to make the best of their first Viking cruise.  It would be great if it were permitted to continue doing what it has been doing so well.

That was a rhetorical question – but thanks for the votes of confidence.  Yes, I hope that this thread can be left open as I agree that it has been a great help.  And it will stay open, as long as everyone calms down and carries on [about cruising 😉]

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I don't know what "tips" have already been offered on this thread, and how current they still are.  However, after reading posts on a Facebook page for Viking cruisers, I'd suggest these things: 

Skim all the information on Viking's website and half of your questions will be probably be answered.  (I'm guilty of NOT doing this, however, so I know it's often easier/faster to just post on social media.  But there really is good stuff on the website.)

Fly to cruise destination at least a day pre-cruise.  For now, due to airline challenges, stick with connecting flights that give you at least 2 hours to connect.  Pack 2 days' worth of clothes and meds in a small bag that can be removed from your carryon just in case you have to check the carryon at the least minute.  And have an extra supply (more than 2 days' worth) of important meds in case you are delayed gettting home, quarantined, etc. 

If you plan to buy travel insurance and have pre-existing conditions that might flare up, be aware that you'll usually be required to buy the insurance within a certain amount of time after FIRST payment on cruise (or flights or whatever is purchased first).

Don't be upset if the Captain of the ship has to cancel a planned stop.  Safety first.  For me, it's just an opportunity to plan another cruise that goes to that place.  

Don't miss booking or going to the Chef's Table, even if the particular menu in rotation doesn't sound to your liking.  It's still a fun, educational experience, and you may find you LOVE most courses despite how they sound.

If you want information on what excursions are "the best" or "worthwhile" for your ocean cruise, tell us what ports you go to.  Viking does not run the same ocean itineraries back and forth, back and forth. Many of us would like to help you, but only if you give us a little help.  And for Cruise Critic, search the Ports of Call section to get ideas on what to do in each port.  And keep in mind that while the included excursions are a great (and no extra cost) introduction to a port, you may not get back to a particular port, so paying extra for an optional excursion may be your best bet in many places. 

Don't expect ocean cruising to be exactly the same as river cruising.  And don't expect it to be exactly the same as pther lines you've used.  Go with an open mind.

I hope I haven't repeated what's been said before, and this info is helpful to at least some Viking cruisers. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

On 12/14/2022 at 9:05 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was a rhetorical question – but thanks for the votes of confidence.  Yes, I hope that this thread can be left open as I agree that it has been a great help.  And it will stay open, as long as everyone calms down and carries on [about cruising 😉]

I thought the discussion about 'gummies' was very interesting and helpful; I too had similar thoughts and the information provided was useful to me.  Where I live, all forms of marijuana are now legal so I think it's a valid discussion topic! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I thought the discussion about 'gummies' was very interesting and helpful; I too had similar thoughts and the information provided was useful to me.  Where I live, all forms of marijuana are now legal so I think it's a valid discussion topic! 

Just remember that the laws where you live have Zero to do with the laws where you travel.  Even if you are a WBNA star!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the contributions to this thread through the years, including changes after the COVID pause.  It has been very helpful as we prepare for our first Viking Ocean cruise after a great "Christmas on the Elbe" trip with Viking in December 2022.

One question that someone who has sailed recently might be able to answer.  I noticed a suggestion to take insulated mugs for coffee to-go from the baristas.  (Or potentially, the self-service coffee maker in the World Cafe.)  This is something we have done for years--especially mugs with handles that allow me to carry both in one hand and have the other hand free to open doors, etc.  On a cruise with Princess (our go-to line for many years) in August 2022, however, the baristas said they were not allowed to use personal mugs for coffee anymore per new hygiene protocols.

Does anyone know if Viking baristas will still make a coffee drink--latte, Americano, etc.--using personal mugs or not?  If not, does Viking have the cardboard carriers to allow transport of multiple cups--although I still hate to waste paper cups every day.  Or do they make coffee in real mugs?  Trying to figure out if I should pack ours or not.  (Thanks as well for information on the Nespresso makers and the pod choices in the stateroom.)

Many thanks,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, loriva said:

Thanks for the contributions to this thread through the years, including changes after the COVID pause.  It has been very helpful as we prepare for our first Viking Ocean cruise after a great "Christmas on the Elbe" trip with Viking in December 2022.

One question that someone who has sailed recently might be able to answer.  I noticed a suggestion to take insulated mugs for coffee to-go from the baristas.  (Or potentially, the self-service coffee maker in the World Cafe.)  This is something we have done for years--especially mugs with handles that allow me to carry both in one hand and have the other hand free to open doors, etc.  On a cruise with Princess (our go-to line for many years) in August 2022, however, the baristas said they were not allowed to use personal mugs for coffee anymore per new hygiene protocols.

Does anyone know if Viking baristas will still make a coffee drink--latte, Americano, etc.--using personal mugs or not?  If not, does Viking have the cardboard carriers to allow transport of multiple cups--although I still hate to waste paper cups every day.  Or do they make coffee in real mugs?  Trying to figure out if I should pack ours or not.  (Thanks as well for information on the Nespresso makers and the pod choices in the stateroom.)

Many thanks,

I can’t answer your first question about whether they will make the coffee in your personal mug but they do have cardboard cups with cozies/heat protectors and tops so you can get a coffee to go.  If you’re staying in the Living Room, it will be served in a ceramic cup with saucer. Upstairs at the WC, they have ceramic mugs.  I’m 95% sure that paper to go-cups are available up there also. 

The Nespresso machines in DV and above staterooms come with medium  roast and a decaf pods, ceramic cups, saucers, fancy spoons, non refrigerated creamers, and sugars. image.thumb.jpeg.452ce9daf9835adad189d4800b84e143.jpeg

• Thanks 2