No more Queen beds for Princess except in suites?

Vanctraveller

I recently sailed on the Majestic Princess in a balcony cabin in single occupancy and requested a Queen bed configuration. Princess just pushed two twin beds together leaving a prominent ridge in between instead of replacing the two twin mattresses with a Queen mattress as they previously did on Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale. I had the same problem on a British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess in summer 2016. This time I complained to the hotel manager on board and his assistant replied that Princess no longer provides Queen mattresses except for suites. I tried to contact Princess on its website to ask whether this applies to Ft. Lauderdale sailings as well (as presumably Princess should be able to stock lots of Queen mattresses at the cruise terminal where so many Princess ships sail from) but received no reply.

Does anyone know if the new no Queen mattresses except for suites policy applies only in Europe or also to cruises sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale?

I have never sailed in a cabin with a true queen mattress. It has always been two twins shoved together. Since I either sail solo, or with my sister, I know that they are the same beds. For the large bed they put them together and put the queen/king pads and linens on them. EM

We always get a balcony or mini and the "queen beds" are simply two single beds pushed together into a king configuration without any different mattresses. The dreaded crack is always present. We have found this to be true on all the cruiselines we have been on so far. Interesting that at one time they did change the mattress?

We've been cruising on Celebrity in balcony cabins for over 10 years and have never had a true queen bed - always 2 singles pushed together. You may not have realized the bed was 2 singles as there's usually some sort of a foam 'filler' that camouflages the gap.

I really doubt that they would be lugging heavy mattresses to and from storage rooms to staterooms every time someone wanted a different configuration than the last passenger. That would be hard on the mattresses and hard on the cabin crew. It has always been two mattresses pushed together on every cruise I have ever taken, regardless of the cruise line. Not sure where the OP got the idea that mattresses were changed out. It just doesn't happen.

It's always been two mattresses pushed together. We've never had a problem with it. If the gap was significant I would have either complained to the steward or simply pushed the beds more firmly together. They definitely have never brought in a separate mattress.

Two twin beds is standard for cruising. Normally Princess puts a topper that reduces the gap. That being said, we had the worst bed in our cruising experience on our last Caribbean Princess cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic Vanctraveller.

Lot's of good information here in these forums.

The cabins we have sailed in have always had two twins pushed together to make a queen sized bed. Depending on the condition of the mattresses and quality of the topper they put on it, the gap between the two may not be noticable. As a saying we picked up in London, you may have to mind the gap :D

The full suites are also this way, as this is a suite on the Coral in 2016:

24774840670_62150d25fc_z.jpgZ37 by

Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This is a window suite on the Caribbean Princess in 2017:

32305207124_042ee7cb8a_z.jpgM2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

With the toppers laid on top of these two mattresses, we didn't feel the gap.

Every cruise line that I have been on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess all push two twin beds together to form a queen configuration. Back in 1986 on my first cruise which was on Carnival. The steward would make up the beds on a daily basis into day beds so it appeared that the room had two sofas. At turndown they would convert them back to a queen bed.

The only cruise line that has a true queen (not 2 twins pushed together) is Disney Cruise Line.

True, and while I do love a real queen on DCL, it causes problems when my kids (teenage boys now) want separate beds in their cabins like on the "other cruises".

I really doubt that they would be lugging heavy mattresses to and from storage rooms to staterooms every time someone wanted a different configuration than the last passenger. That would be hard on the mattresses and hard on the cabin crew. It has always been two mattresses pushed together on every cruise I have ever taken, regardless of the cruise line. Not sure where the OP got the idea that mattresses were changed out. It just doesn't happen.

Per above .... Absolutely True! It just doesn't happen.

I recently sailed on the Majestic Princess in a balcony cabin in single occupancy and requested a Queen bed configuration. Princess just pushed two twin beds together leaving a prominent ridge in between instead of replacing the two twin mattresses with a Queen mattress as they previously did on Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale. I had the same problem on a British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess in summer 2016. This time I complained to the hotel manager on board and his assistant replied that Princess no longer provides Queen mattresses except for suites. I tried to contact Princess on its website to ask whether this applies to Ft. Lauderdale sailings as well (as presumably Princess should be able to stock lots of Queen mattresses at the cruise terminal where so many Princess ships sail from) but received no reply.

Does anyone know if the new no Queen mattresses except for suites policy applies only in Europe or also to cruises sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale?

I suspect that the room steward failed to put a topper on the mattresses once they were pushed together. That would/should have prevented the "prominent ridge."

BTW, I don't believe that any of the twin beds are truly twin in size. I've always felt they were a bit more narrow than a true twin, thus, somewhere in between a queen and a king.

BTW, I don't believe that any of the twin beds are truly twin in size. I've always felt they were a bit more narrow than a true twin, thus, somewhere in between a queen and a king.

I agree, the "twin" beds are what we used to call "junior" beds. Bigger than a crib, smaller than a twin :).

I've also never heard of a true queen on any cruise line. I agree that the Room Steward may have forgotten to put the foam piece between the bed's.

We are sailing on the Sun Princess in late August in a Balcony. I knew we had requested a Queen Bed and had confirmation but I just checked the details in Cruise Personaliser and it shows "Bed Configuration: Non Convert. Queen". It will be interesting to see if it is a true Queen or two singles pushed together. In the past it's always been 2 singles but we weren't bothered by the ridge.