UBP 18% Gratuity and Service Charge Question

Jetsterkitty

Right up front I'm respectfully asking that people be kind and not berate me for this question! The CruiseCritic community can be a tad on the harsh side when someone is just trying to ask an honest question.

I've sailed NCL before and the 18% gratuity and service charge on the UBP is throwing me for a loop. Last year we sailed the Dawn with the UBP and we were not charged for anything other than the UBP... and we drank A LOT! Now I keep seeing people talking about an additional charge of $99.54 in addition to the $553 ($79 x 7 days) UBP charge. Where does this charge show up? Is it automatically added to your room bill? If so, when did this go into effect as there were no additional UBP charges added to our room bill in 2016 when we sailed.

Thanks in advance!

The service charge for the UBP is added directly to your cruise fare. It is not added to your "room bill" on board. Maybe you got a special promotion or maybe you didn't see it as part of the overall cruise fare last year.

If you sailed in a suite, you would not have been charged the 18% service charge. NCL only recently began charging suite customers this fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been in effect for awhile now for U.S. people. I picked UBP as my perk for February 2016 and the service charge was definitely on my booking invoice. The Free at Sea perks have been going on for a long time now - did you pay the $79 per day for UBP or was it the perk you picked? If it was a perk, you paid for it before you even sailed - unless you booked prior to it being in effect. If you are out of the U.S. or if you booked in a suite, there was not service charge on the perk. If you are looking to book again and were going to pay the $79 per day for the UBP, don't. Pick it as a Free at Sea choice.

Last year we sailed the Dawn with the UBP and we were not charged for anything other than the UBP... and we drank A LOT! Now I keep seeing people talking about an additional charge of $99.54 in addition to the $553 ($79 x 7 days) UBP charge. Where does this charge show up?

If you BUY the UBP, the 18% is added to the price ($79 pp per day) and the whole thing is paid at once. You are not charged extra except for possible state tax while in port and/or the amount over $15 (if the drink is over $15) plus 18% on the "over $15" amount. If the drink is normally $20, you are charged $5 + 18% on the $5.

If you recieve the UBP as a promo, NCL pays the $79 pp per day and the guest pays the 18%. Everything else is the same as above.

I believe the service charge was in effect last year - unless you were in a suite or a UK booking. But if you have booked and paid for your cruise - the service charge has been paid if it was applicable to your booking. It's added onto your invoice when you book like port fees and taxes. Nothing additional on your room bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 18% is included in the price of the UBP. You will not be billed separately.

Incorrect.

You pay 18% IN ADDITION TO the $79 per day

NCL "Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge."

Yes, to the above. With the promos , many do not understand the additional fees added for these.

Dining package and beverage package promo have 18% gratuity that you must pay.

As of June 6, suite guests must also pay these gratuities . This is in addition to DSC.

If you BUY the UBP, the 18% is added to the price ($79 pp per day) and the whole thing is paid at once. You are not charged extra except for possible state tax while in port and/or the amount over $15 (if the drink is over $15) plus 18% on the "over $15" amount. If the drink is normally $20, you are charged $5 + 18% on the $5.

If you recieve the UBP as a promo, NCL pays the $79 pp per day and the guest pays the 18%. Everything else is the same as above.

VA Plumber is incorrect with the fact that the 18% is included, whereas Two Wheels Only is spot on with his explanation, including the additional charge for state tax before hiting international waters and paying the 18% on per drink costs over the 15.00 limit per drink.

For the record, this is nothing new. When we purchased the UBP over 3 years ago, we paid gratuity on the price of the package (it was 15% then). It is paid at the same time you buy the package, and nothing else needs to be paid.

Some are confusing this with getting UBP as a promo. THAT is when the gratuity charge for the package is added to the cruise fare.

• 7 months later...
So I chose the UBP as my free at sea. Do I get a charge on my bill of 18% on each drink at the end of my trip? Thank you and I’m sorry.

No, you pay the 20% (no longer 18%) on the price of the UBP ($89pppd, no longer $79pppd) and it is paid before you board. You are not charged per drink.

NCL covers the $89pppd, the guest pays the 20% on the package.

So I chose the UBP as my free at sea. Do I get a charge on my bill of 18% on each drink at the end of my trip? Thank you and I’m sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is a few months out of date. If you get the UBP as a Free at Sea perk you will pay 20% of the package price (gratuity) along with your cruise fare. You will not be charged additional gratuity on the ship as you've already paid it.

Incorrect.

You pay 18% IN ADDITION TO the $79 per day

NCL "Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge."

No you are incorrect it is paid with the invoice for the cruise. Further if you buy it in the UK tit may in the pricing but not separately charged. We do not like service charges of 18% and therefore I suspect it is hidden from us

No you are incorrect it is paid with the invoice for the cruise. Further if you buy it in the UK tit may in the pricing but not separately charged. We do not like service charges of 18% and therefore I suspect it is hidden from us
If you don't like service charges of 18%, I have to assume that you really hate the recent increase that is now 20%. ;)

If you don't like service charges of 18%, I have to assume that you really hate the recent increase that is now 20%. ;)

It could be 100% if they want. Any cruise booked in the UK is under UK law and under UK law you can always remove service charge. That's why I say it is hidden in the pricing. :)

When I said we I was referring generally to the UK -. Personally I will NEVER EVER pay 20% service to anyone - why would you for doing your job you are paid to do. In fact recent experience is even Black Taxis in London are not getting tips form UK customers. A friend of our said the Americans are the bat at tipping its in the culture. There is no right or wrong but in the UK Service charges are where charged around 10% maybe 12.5%

Personally I will NEVER EVER pay 20% service to anyone - why would you for doing your job you are paid to do.

......because the income for the position is gratuity based?

Edited by ray98

And changes in pricing and policies are why it’s a bad idea to bump and old thread instead of starting a new one.

Well one thing it does is highlight the ever-encroaching monetary aspect of the program. From 15% on $79 to 20% on $89pp per day. In four years, the cost of the UBP has gone up $111.65 for one person on a seven day cruise. With it offered often as a "free" package, that price has gone up $41.65 per person in that time for the service charge. ($124.60 vs $82.95 for a seven day cruise)

I believe the service charge was in effect last year - unless you were in a suite or a UK booking. But if you have booked and paid for your cruise - the service charge has been paid if it was applicable to your booking. It's added onto your invoice when you book like port fees and taxes. Nothing additional on your room bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is absolutely correct. I noticed when I "practice book" that if I pick the UBP as a free at sea choice my bottom line for the cruise is a couple of hundred bucks more. I do not choose this option but the UDP. On our last cruise I had to ask for my drink bill because a bartender and a waiter didn't look closely enough and threw my ticket away because the thought I had the UBP. If you look at a card real quick it is easy to see how they could make that mistake; in addition to the fact that so many people pick the UBP. When I saw the receipt there was no gratuity charge added.

Yes, to the above. With the promos , many do not understand the additional fees added for these.

Dining package and beverage package promo have 18% gratuity that you must pay.

As of June 6, suite guests must also pay these gratuities . This is in addition to DSC.

These items are already added to your cruise price, you will not get a bill for them later.

No, not really. It is truly a separate gratuity ADDED to the total cost of cruise......and stated as such on cruise booking/statement. You are in fact billed separately for the 18% gratuity for the beverage package on your bill due before you cruise at final payment date (even if beverage package was one of your so called "free" choices).