Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

HAL has the great "Dive In" venue with no extra costs at all, and some other nice food counters like the New Xork sandwich bar, also offering complimentary snacks for the outdoor movies.

Also Carnival was mentioned here, with Guy's Burger Joint.

Since I'm still trying to decide between Equinox and Hal's Koningsdam, I'm reading a lot of reviews.

One thing people who sail HAL agree on is that Dive In is very good (New York sandwich bar too). It's free. and, I believe, you place your order and your burger is delivered to your table (free, imagine that.)

More than likely not, but stranger things have been known to happen. I Am sure they will have them in OVC, too.

bon voyage

Is the Ocean View is open to accepting bathing suits with a Tshirt? Otherwise it limits us to the Mast Grill, so since they supposedly have fries and fries are free why not?

Was this in the Oceanview Cafe? If so, isn't it just like all the other food there... free.?

They had sweets there last year on the Eclipse. My wife and I enjoyed a handful of the Sour sweets, no one indicated they were to be only consumed with Ice Cream. Did we do something wrong? A few sweets might be better for you than a scoop of ice cream. I thought the whole point of the buffet was to have what you want and mix it up the way you want.

They are meant to be toppings for the ice cream that's why they are at the ice cream counter. No worries - honest mistake. Celebrity crew members are certainly not going to tell you no. I don't eat the ice cream or the candy toppings anyway. Happy cruising! :cool:

Replacing Mast Grill is our new Top Deck Burger Bar which offers gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing. Top Deck Burger Bar will be serving gourmet burgers such as an 8 oz. dry aged Kobe Beef burger served on a Homemade Brioche Bun. We have moved our complimentary burgers into the Oceanview Café.

There are two major threads on this, the first when you changed this on the Connie drydock and the second when you announced it on the Equinox. It has universally on cruise critic received a negative reaction. Many have expressed that one of the reasons they like the Mast Bar burgers was because you did not have to change your clothes. Have you changed the dress code now that the burgers are in the buffet. I will not pay that much money for a fake Kobe Burger as it has been noted on this thread that you could not possibly be presenting a real Kobe Burger for the price you are charging. I also find this is another example of the nickel and diming by Celebrity. I have been a loyal customer for almost 25 years and my cruise in Sept. is very likely my last.

Mafig - the Dive In on KONINGSDAM is excellent and the selection of burgers are free, but when you order you are given a beeper to return to the window and pick it up when ready.

OK, thanks for that. It's still better than standing there waiting.

BTW, how did you like Koningsdam? I like Equinox's itinerary better, and this cruise would make us Elite, but, I have to admit, boredom is setting in with Celebrity.

...I couldn't believe how many people I saw ask the people serving the ice cream for free candy in the bowls they have and not getting ice cream. :rolleyes:

Say it's not so. I do it all the time. When I want candy and not ice cream. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by spammie ...I couldn't believe how many people I saw ask the people serving the ice cream for free candy in the bowls they have and not getting ice cream. :rolleyes:

Say it's not so. I do it all the time. When I want candy and not ice cream. :rolleyes:

My husband is completely guilty of this :evilsmile:....

He does not eat desert at all, of any kind, but he enjoys indulging in candy from time to time. That is his one and only "sweet treat" he enjoys, so why not enjoy it, especially when he is on vacation. I don't think he is hurting anyone that he gets a few sweet treats of his own to enjoy.

Replacing Mast Grill is our new Top Deck Burger Bar which offers gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing. Top Deck Burger Bar will be serving gourmet burgers such as an 8 oz. dry aged Kobe Beef burger served on a Homemade Brioche Bun. We have moved our complimentary burgers into the Oceanview Café.

Terrible idea!

Why are you calling it "Kobe beef"? That is false advertising! It is definitely not Kobe beef.

Edited by Gonzo70

Kobe Beef

Kobe is the most acclaimed of several prominent regional Wagyu, though as with the Napa cabernet comparison, the best from other regions are just as delicious (top regional Wagyu include Matsuzaka, Omi, Sendai, Mishima, Hokkaido, and Miyazaki). Stories of cattle reared on classical music, beer, and massages, while allowed, are largely myths. But, the Hyogo government keeps the 12 most ideal bulls in a special facility, using their semen to inseminate all cows. Every ounce of Kobe beef eaten worldwide was fathered by one of these dozen perfect marbling specimens. However, not much is eaten worldwide. After slaughter and grading, only half the Tajima cattle qualify as Kobe, 3-4,000 head per year, less than one midsize U.S. cattle ranch. Today, enough reaches the U.S. to satisfy the average beef consumption of just 77 Americans. It’s so scarce that Kobe’s marketing board licenses individual restaurants, and real Kobe beef is available at just eight restaurants in the entire country (see the list), while none, ever, is sold at retail.

Flavor Wagyu is very rich, tender, and fatty, often compared to foie gras or butter. The first bite is amazing, and as fat coats your tongue and suppresses taste, each subsequent bite is a little less so. For this reason, portions in Japan are very small, 3-4 ounces as an entree, thin slices seared rare, served off the bone. You never get a 32-ounce Wagyu T-bone. Real Wagyu/Kobe is too fatty (and much too pricey) for burger grinds, so Wagyu burgers are almost surely not the real thing—they may blend in some domestic Wagyu or hybrid wangus, but often simply slap the name on normal beef (this is legal for restaurants).

Wagyu elsewhere is often crossbred to mirror local tastes. Every crossbred generation loses half of the special marbling and fat characteristics of true Wagyu. Australia, a major producer and exporter, typically crosses Wagyu with traditional dairy breeds such as Holstein. In the U.S., Wagyu is most often crossed with Angus, and USDA regulations require only 46.9% Wagyu genetics for beef sold at retail. Exempt from these labelling requirements, restaurants can call any beef Wagyu, and often do.

There are two major threads on this, the first when you changed this on the Connie drydock and the second when you announced it on the Equinox. It has universally on cruise critic received a negative reaction. Many have expressed that one of the reasons they like the Mast Bar burgers was because you did not have to change your clothes. Have you changed the dress code now that the burgers are in the buffet. I will not pay that much money for a fake Kobe Burger as it has been noted on this thread that you could not possibly be presenting a real Kobe Burger for the price you are charging. I also find this is another example of the nickel and diming by Celebrity. I have been a loyal customer for almost 25 years and my cruise in Sept. is very likely my last.

On your next sailing, test the OVC clothing requirements and let us know how you make out.

bon voyage

In all actuality, they are and referred to as a 'Premium Line' in the Mass Market category, which is a step below Luxury Lines.

And just what, in your opinion, differentiates Celebrity as a premium line over Hal, NCL, Royal or Princess?

I know It can't be that they charge more therefore they're premium.

Can you please PROVE that the beef Celebrity is using in the TDBB is true Kobe Beef?

Mafig - the Dive In on KONINGSDAM is excellent and the selection of burgers are free, but when you order you are given a beeper to return to the window and pick it up when ready.

That is good to know. Now those who are upset with X over TDBB and if it is Kobe beef or not, have a ship on which to sail, that neither charges or claims Kobe beef burgers.

I trust their veggie burgers are still good, anyone know? :evilsmile:

A great solution, overall.

bon voyage

Thanks for this information. Does Celebrity get their beef from Kobe in Japan? Or is Kobe style - as you can see this is confusing people. If it is genuine Dry Aged Kobe Beef from Japan then confirming this will do wonders for sales.

The beef is comprised of an American Kobe Style Beef blend with Dry Aged Rib Cap.

Someone needs to file a Class Action Law Suit against false advertising and misleading customers. ;p

Are you sure it is false and customers are mis-led? From reading here, many believe one way or another and are holding firm in their thoughts/beliefs on this topic, so they are not mis-led, it appears.

bon voyage

The beef is comprised of an American Kobe Style Beef blend with Dry Aged Rib Cap.

X thank you for clarifying this. Much appreciated. Many heart attacks about to happen over the composition and type of beef being used.

bon voyage

Are you sure it is false and customers are mis-led? From reading here, many believe one way or another and are holding firm in their thoughts/beliefs on this topic, so they are not mis-led, it appears.

bon voyage

The people here on CC are very few percentage of people cruising. If you are on one of the ships with the new Burger Bar and see "KOBE BEEF" you are being mislead and it is false advertising, since it is not KOBE BEEF. American style Kobe Beef with dry aged rib cap is not Kobe Beef.

That sounds like a lot of BULL. :D

The menu pictures from your TDBB doesn't say "American Kobe Style Beef". It says KOBE Beef. Besides, what makes it "American Kobe Style"? It sounds like you stole the term.

Google American kobe style beef. Here's what you'll find:

"Kobe beef is the essence of fine dining: The meat bursts with flavor, and the fat melts like butter and coats your mouth with velvety richness. The best American Kobe-style steak will cost $80, $90, even $100 at a high-end steakhouse. A Kobe-style hamburger can run $40."

How can Celebrity get the burger down to $10 with it still being Kobe style? One or two percent blend is how. It's just plain fraud.