Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

Follow up to my post above.

The 'new' burgers ARE Kobe Beef so MUCH better quality. Not saying this makes things right, just the way it is. Off to Oceanview Cafe to get the free burgers lol

They absolutely are NOT serving Kobe beef. Kobe beef is EXTREMELY rare outside of Japan and EXTREMELY expensive (would cost Celebrity about $300 in cost for each individual 8oz burger). Kobe beef is also too high in fat content to be the proper ratio for a burger. In the US several restaurants were successfully sued for calling meat Kobe beef that was not (under the guise of false advertising).

Only approximately a dozen venues in the US serve Kobe beef - it is that rare outside of Japan. For now in the US it is OK to call items "American Kobe" or "Kobe Style" (usually more marketing gimmicks than meaningful terms), but not OK to call something simply "Kobe beef." Not sure if Celebrity is oblivious that what they are doing is considered (at least in the US) to be false advertising or if they are doing this purposely in a deceitful marketing campaign. It is the equivalent of their on-board jewelry store calling something diamonds that is actually cubic zirconia.

Hopefully the burger at the new venue is significantly better than the prior "free" burger (which I found inedible); good burgers are actually a deal at $10 (my favorite burger in my neighborhood costs $20 - and that does not include tax or gratuity), but so long as Celebrity is falsely referring to it as Kobe beef I will stay far, far away.

The placard sign states "dry aged Kobe beef" w/homemade brioche bun

They absolutely are NOT serving Kobe beef. Kobe beef is EXTREMELY rare outside of Japan and EXTREMELY expensive (would cost Celebrity about $300 in cost for each individual 8oz burger). Kobe beef is also too high in fat content to be the proper ratio for a burger. In the US several restaurants were successfully sued for calling meat Kobe beef that was not (under the guise of false advertising).

Only approximately a dozen venues in the US serve Kobe beef - it is that rare outside of Japan. For now in the US it is OK to call items "American Kobe" or "Kobe Style" (usually more marketing gimmicks than meaningful terms), but not OK to call something simply "Kobe beef." Not sure if Celebrity is oblivious that what they are doing is considered (at least in the US) to be false advertising or if they are doing this purposely in a deceitful marketing campaign. It is the equivalent of their on-board jewelry store calling something diamonds that is actually cubic zirconia.

Hopefully the burger at the new venue is significantly better than the prior "free" burger (which I found inedible); good burgers are actually a deal at $10 (my favorite burger in my neighborhood costs $20 - and that does not include tax or gratuity), but so long as Celebrity is falsely referring to it as Kobe beef I will stay far, far away.

The placard sign states "dry aged Kobe beef" w/homemade brioche bun

They are either lying or completely clueless. I can guarantee you it is NOT Kobe beef. They'd be losing about $290 per burger!

Fries and/or onion rings are included

8 Oz. Burger (6 choices or build your own burger) $9.95

4 oz. burger 4.95 lettuce tomato cheddar

Buckhead Kobe beef hot dog $9.95! That seems crazy

Gonzo70 is more than correct. Hopefully its just a poor choice of words on Celebritys' part, not an outright known falsehood.

Although, I'd have to say that their Supply Chain people in procurement know exactly what they've contracted from the suppliers so is it just a "wording mistake?".So many restaurants throw the words Kobe beef around, its just not true. Kobe "style" is even pushing it.......

Fries and/or onion rings are included

8 Oz. Burger (6 choices or build your own burger) $9.95

4 oz. burger 4.95 lettuce tomato cheddar

Buckhead Kobe beef hot dog $9.95! That seems crazy

Buckhead Beef is a Florida company that procures their Kobe-Style beef from Snake River Farms (this very well might be where Celebrity's burgers and hotdogs for the new venue are being sourced from). Snake River's website even cautions that their meat is NOT to be called Kobe beef without a disclaimer that it is just Kobe-Style. This might very well be good quality beef Celebrity is using, but they need to change the name to something other than Kobe beef ASAP.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef.html?p=3

This might be what they are serving:

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/burgers-and-dogs/american-kobe-hamburger-patties.html

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/burgers-and-dogs/american-kobe-hot-dogs.html

Interesting. So the venue didn't get a "face-lift", the product just became a "for fee" offering?. Tommy D3, did the crew make mention of this change at all, or were you just left to your own devices to figure it out?

No face lift, same spot on ship. No 'mention' by the crew, just a placard with price and types of burgers

Interesting. So the venue didn't get a "face-lift", the product just became a "for fee" offering?. Tommy D3, did the crew make mention of this change at all, or were you just left to your own devices to figure it out?

Advertised as part of an insert in the Celebrity Today the first night. Went by at lunch to confirm. Tried to post a picture of the menu but Photobucket no longer supports free hosting....

As I posted in the earlier thread on Constellation's change to a paid venue, if I have to stand in line to order, then try to find a table, (especially on the S Class) then get up to get my burger & my DH's since he will be guarding the table, get my wine, etc. etc. etc., just not interested even if the burger is included in the unlimited specialty dining that comes with a RS and above.:mad:

Well, understanding the price of 'Kobe' meat, it is obvious and the attendant information may support it too, these burgers are not 100% Kobe, but a % is, or at least to me OR as stated before 'Kobe' style, which is a whole different discussion altogether and how to present it to the passengers in terms of proper description.

Not even going to speculate on the % either, not an issue. Just like Micky D's 1/4#'s, that is pre-cooked weight.

On and on.

For those who do not want to pay for an 'upscale' burger, then OVC is the place to go, no additional charge and that is great.

Apparently it is catching on and to be delicious (with or without seating in the burger bar area).

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
syntax

Sea days will never be the same.... :loudcry::loudcry:

I don't mind X "adding" new "for a price" items but to remove a favourite and replace it will be hard to swallow (unlike the mast burgers which were delicious).

Sea days will never be the same.... :loudcry::loudcry:

I don't mind X "adding" new "for a price" items but to remove a favourite and replace it will be hard to swallow (unlike the mast burgers which were delicious).

r - technically, they did not 'remove' those burgers, but 'moved' them to the OVC.

Granted they are not 'freshly' grilled, and I presume one can order a fresh grilled one, but they are still available for public consumption.

bon voyage

I'll be on Equinox next month. On sea days, I'll be a captive and will have to eat ship food, but the up-charges will make it easier to justify having lunch in port. I can live a week without a burger, and with the exception of Guy's on Carnival, most burgers on cruises are terrible, so it's nothing I'll be too upset about.

Advertised as part of an insert in the Celebrity Today the first night. Went by at lunch to confirm. Tried to post a picture of the menu but Photobucket no longer supports free hosting....

Is this going fleetwide and if so, when? Or perhaps it's already happened :confused:?

Currently onboard Equinox.

Mast grill is now extra cost just like the post dry dock change to Constellation.

$10 for 1/2 lbs and $5 for 1/4 lbs !!!

To the OP, are peoples buying this new burger on your cruise in large numbers?

Currently onboard Equinox.

Mast grill is now extra cost just like the post dry dock change to Constellation.

$10 for 1/2 lbs and $5 for 1/4 lbs !!!

Is there any area that does not now have a surcharge/upcharge option excluding the buffet? :)

Well, understanding the price of 'Kobe' meat, it is obvious and the attendant information may support it too, these burgers are not 100% Kobe, but a % is, or at least to me OR as stated before 'Kobe' style, which is a whole different discussion altogether and how to present it to the passengers in terms of proper description.

Not even going to speculate on the % either, not an issue. Just like Micky D's 1/4#'s, that is pre-cooked weight.

On and on.

For those who do not want to pay for an 'upscale' burger, then OVC is the place to go, no additional charge and that is great.

Apparently it is catching on and to be delicious (with or without seating in the burger bar area).

bon voyage

Bo, it is 0% Kobe beef and I say that with 100% certainty. And it is an issue; it is like a watch vendor selling and calling something a Rolex that is a far inferior knockoff.

Edited by Gonzo70