Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

Follow up to my post above.

The 'new' burgers ARE Kobe Beef so MUCH better quality. Not saying this makes things right, just the way it is. Off to Oceanview Cafe to get the free burgers lol

There is no way the burgers ARE Kobe beef. If they were, it would be more like $100 instead of $10. It is like champagne. It is only champagne if it comes from one area. Otherwise it is sparkling wine. You can only get Kobe beef from a small area in Japan. If they are getting it from the US, it is a cross of Angus and Wagyu. Definitely NOT Kobe. :rolleyes:

I agree with Grimace. This could have been win-win. Offer an upgraded burger and hot dog alongside the old ones. The nicer food would be available - I love a high end burger too - but we don't have to feel like cheapskates banished to the buffet because we'd rather not spend $60 for burgers and hot dogs for the kids on sea days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People have already spoken with their wallets. Equinox is the 2nd ship to get these upcharge burgers.

It's yet another example of death by a thousand cuts, but they can keep cutting until the ships are no longer full.

As for the OVC burgers... They were disgusting on our last cruise. They would have to be upgraded considerably to even make the old Mast Grill standards, which honestly weren't great but were included.

Seems silly to charge for burgers. Most people who have been cruising for a while like to think of a cruise including all of the food, except for maybe an upscale specialty restaurant. Burgers are everyday food so to speak. I can't see too many people getting excited over paying for a burger or especially a hot dog.

To the OP, are peoples buying this new burger on your cruise in large numbers?

Yesterday we were in Key West. At about 12:30 PM there was one person eating and one couple looking at the menu and asking questions. At that same time the buffet was between 1/2 and 3/4 full....

I just sent an email to Celebrity saying this was outrageous. I agree the MDR will be next and I hope many of their clients send them emails. We are their bread and butter but the more they take away the more we will go elsewhere

I just sent an email to Celebrity saying this was outrageous. I agree the MDR will be next and I hope many of their clients send them emails. We are their bread and butter but the more they take away the more we will go elsewhere

I suspect Celebrity execs are hoping that other cruise lines will do the same so addicted cruisers will have nowhere to go. Those who are not will find some other type of vacation.

On the other hand you have Guy's Burgers on Carnival ships that put out AMAZING burgers at no extra charge! I would say they are the best burgers on a mainstream cruiseline! The Barbeque restaurant, also no cover, was EXCELLENT as well!

I have heard this from multiply friends, by far the best burgers at sea and free. As for me, I don't even pay $10 for a 1/2 burger at home in most places, doubt I will be doing it very often if at all for that price.

If I have a sea day toward the end of my cruise. OBC left, and don't feel like going to a buffet, then ok, I'll get a burger. But I won't pay more for it. My next cruise with Celebrity is on the Edge in a sky suite, but I will be on Viking and Oceania prior to that. After that..... will have to see if Celebrity is still a good fit for us.

I always liked the ability to grab a burger and eat on my lounger on sea days. I for one will not be paying for a burger at the Mast Grill. Next up will most likely be charging for the ice cream. I couldn't believe how many people I saw ask the people serving the ice cream for free candy in the bowls they have and not getting ice cream. :rolleyes:

Glad Celebrity is making these changes. The Free burgers will continue to available AT THE BUFFET so people will have to walk another 50 feet. celebrity is a Luxury line and a Luxury Burger will be fun to try. Our experience at the burger bar is that they are pre made frozen and mediocre so we welcome the change. Also.....Maybe the cost will cut back on the lines....some people are tight..if they want free burgers by the pool.....perhaps its time to change cruiselines.........

Celebrity markets the line as being "modern luxury," but they are most assuredly NOT a luxury line. Don't get me wrong, I like Celebrity, but they are moving further and further away from being luxury.

Celebrity markets the line as being "modern luxury," but they are most assuredly NOT a luxury line. Don't get me wrong, I like Celebrity, but they are moving further and further away from being luxury.

In all actuality, they are and referred to as a 'Premium Line' in the Mass Market category, which is a step below Luxury Lines.

bon voyage

We just got off a B2B on the Equinox. We ordered burgers from room service a couple of times and really liked them. They were on nice grilled buns and the burgers had a great grilled flavor, too.

We didn't grab burgers at the Mast Grill, but tried the Aqua Spa Cafe (or whatever they call it now). It was super disappointing. I took a photo while we were there at 12:15 on a sea day and captured 2 tables being tied up with selfish card players. Each table they were using had a pool towel covering it to play on. Is that a thing card players do? In addition there was another table with only a pool towel placed on it, and when I told a worker we needed a table to eat on (DH is in a wheelchair and I had 2 plates) he removed the towel for us. He did not confront the card players! For Pete's sake, the Spa Cafe is only open for a couple of hours, why can't people wait until they aren't serving before firing up a hot game of Crazy Eights?

Sorry for the table hog rant when the subject was burgers at the Mast Grill! It's just that the Aqua Spa Cafe is another venue option that is not user friendly.

Under no circumstances is an 8 oz. burger for $10 plus the 18% gratuity worth it.

If it is prime beef and is done well (i.e. cooked properly, good quality & freshly made bun, good quality cheese, fries etc.) $10 is an excellent deal for such a burger. The big question is whether or not this is truly a high end burger.

That's so ridicolous charging for such common items like burgers, just for the onboard revenue... :rolleyes:

I thought Celebrity is supposed to be a "premium" line but with charging for more and more items, that's just disappointing, sorry.

And offering Burgers at the Ocean View Café is no excuse for me, let's bet there's just the plain choices like traditional beef and cheese burger, no variety anymore.

HAL has the great "Dive In" venue with no extra costs at all, and some other nice food counters like the New Xork sandwich bar, also offering complimentary snacks for the outdoor movies.

Also Carnival was mentioned here, with Guy's Burger Joint.

Celebrity will be number one of the nickle and diming cruise lines, if they go on with that.

That's "Modern Luxury"? No, thanls. "Modern Upcharging" would be fitting - at those high cruise fares. No thank you...

... I couldn't believe how many people I saw ask the people serving the ice cream for free candy in the bowls they have and not getting ice cream. :rolleyes:

Was this in the Oceanview Cafe? If so, isn't it just like all the other food there... free.?

They had sweets there last year on the Eclipse. My wife and I enjoyed a handful of the Sour sweets, no one indicated they were to be only consumed with Ice Cream. Did we do something wrong? A few sweets might be better for you than a scoop of ice cream. I thought the whole point of the buffet was to have what you want and mix it up the way you want.

Currently onboard Equinox.

Mast grill is now extra cost just like the post dry dock change to Constellation.

$10 for 1/2 lbs and $5 for 1/4 lbs !!!

Replacing Mast Grill is our new Top Deck Burger Bar which offers gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing. Top Deck Burger Bar will be serving gourmet burgers such as an 8 oz. dry aged Kobe Beef burger served on a Homemade Brioche Bun. We have moved our complimentary burgers into the Oceanview Café.

We didn't grab burgers at the Mast Grill, but tried the Aqua Spa Cafe (or whatever they call it now). It was super disappointing. I took a photo while we were there at 12:15 on a sea day and captured 2 tables being tied up with selfish card players. Each table they were using had a pool towel covering it to play on. Is that a thing card players do? In addition there was another table with only a pool towel placed on it, and when I told a worker we needed a table to eat on (DH is in a wheelchair and I had 2 plates) he removed the towel for us. He did not confront the card players! For Pete's sake, the Spa Cafe is only open for a couple of hours, why can't people wait until they aren't serving before firing up a hot game of Crazy Eights?

Sorry for the table hog rant when the subject was burgers at the Mast Grill! It's just that the Aqua Spa Cafe is another venue option that is not user friendly.

The exact same happened at the Mast Grill on Reflection. We decided to try a burger one day, but had to carry our food down to the pool deck because many tables at the Mast Grill were being hogged by people clearly not eating, some even taking up 2 chairs, one to sit on and one to rest their legs on whilst sunbathing!

Basically there is insufficient seating, especially if you now have to pay for the food, at the Mast Grill on the Solstice class ships.

Can we please look at the reality here. For all those that are bemoaning the demise of the free burger, here's what we found on our Relfection cruise last month regarding free/for-fee burgers:

1. The Lawn Club Grill offered lunch every day with a burger menu - for a fee. The place was usually 1/2=3/4 full. The burgers were hot, perfectly cooked and offered a wide variety of options (including veggie and tuna steak "burgers"). Celebrity has been testing this concept at LCG for over a year and, clearly, it was popular.

2. Walking past the Mast Grill it was easy to spot many 1/2 eaten burgers, hot dogs, piles of uneaten fries, etc. The food waste was atrocious. Why? It was free, so clearly people felt it was ok to waste the food since they "didn't have to pay for it". I think food waste has to be at the top of any cruise line's expenses. Which brings me to...

3. Why does a cruise line, ANY cruise line, exist? It is a business. It is a business that has shareholders. Shareholders expect a return on their investment. A return on shareholder investment is only achieved through profitability. To make a profit a business has to sell things, not give them away for free.

4. Yes. The "regular" burgers (which I personally thought were always gray, overcooked and greasy) are still available and yes you have to walk down to the OVC to get one. Hey, if people want a free burger (including kids telling mommy how hungry they are (and end up only eating two bites of the burger/hot dog)) that bad they'll have to work for it. Maybe if they have to pay for it they'll think twice before eating half the burger and wasting the rest.

I think Celebrity is making some bad choices in the changes they are making, but I don't think changing the Mast Grill to the Top Deck Burger Bar is one of them. Before people start complaining maybe they want to try one and see whether it's worth it. If not, then you'll have to be satisfied with going down to Deck 12 to get your free burger/dog. Celebrity doesn't make decisions lightly and doesn't go back on them (see free sushi vs. Sushi on 5). This won't be the last change the line makes in order to improve profitability (see point #3). What's next? How about paying for priority tendering? Paying for top name talent/shows? Upgraded in-cabin dining/room service for a fee? Who knows.

Listen. We're not happy with the direction the line is heading. Accordingly we're looking at other cruise lines. That's a choice we are making. But would I stop sailing Celebrity because I can't get a free burger on deck?!

Can you get an order of fries for free at the Mast Grill?

More than likely not, but stranger things have been known to happen. I Am sure they will have them in OVC, too.

bon voyage

Replacing Mast Grill is our new Top Deck Burger Bar which offers gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing. Top Deck Burger Bar will be serving gourmet burgers such as an 8 oz. dry aged Kobe Beef burger served on a Homemade Brioche Bun. We have moved our complimentary burgers into the Oceanview Café.

I'm glad to see Celebrity chiming in. Take note, most of these posts are not happy about Celebrity moving the no-added charge burgers into the buffet. Many are also questioning how a $10 burger can truly be Kobe beef.

Thanks for this information. Does Celebrity get their beef from Kobe in Japan? Or is Kobe style - as you can see this is confusing people. If it is genuine Dry Aged Kobe Beef from Japan then confirming this will do wonders for sales.