Milestone cruises by days only

cdngrl

We are still a ways off either way but I think actual days is fair. Too many people were getting credit by doing one day cruises. Plus we usually take 10 to 12 day cruises so number wise we make out better then actual cruise numbers towards the reward level.

I wonder how this will affect those that are travel agents and get the honorary Elite status or those that get the gamblers special to reach Elite. Neither of those seem fair to us that actually cruised and earned our status the old fashion way - we earned it.

My only pet peeve is that kids are not recognized for their actual level. I get the 18 and have to be an adult thing but they could still get the colored card recognition just like everyone else. Even a 10 YO should be greeted the same way as anyone in their level with "welcome back". Shouldn't they get the 10% discount in the store (for Elite). They cruised the proper amount to earn it. Yes, Yes, before anyone says it I'll say it for you. I already know they get the benefits earned at 18. Even if the don't get the actual benefits I think they still deserve the "color" of their status.

I suspect that one of the reasons those under 18 get a blue card only is to help the crew working with alcohol based drinks to quickly determine that a person is old enough to drink. By that I mean if you and I come up to a bar to order a drink and we both look like we could be under 18 the first thing that the bartender needs to do is look at the cruise card. If it is any color other than blue, he knows that that person is 18 or older. If the card is blue and the person looks like they could be under 18, he then can check the card to see if the letter A is in the lower right corner. No A=not an adult=no alcohol. By only having to check the blue cards, it saves the server time. Is that the reason for those under 18 being always given blue cards? Darned if I know, but it's possible.

As to how someone "earns" their status, whether it be gambling winnings, short cruises, or the travel agent way, does it really make any difference? You, or I, or anybody else can start gambling on ships, become a travel agent, travel in cabins by ourselves or move to an area where it is easier to take short cruises. Or, if you really want to get their quickly, take overnight cruises in a suite by ourselves and earn 3 points for a 1-nighter! The trade-off is you spend more money to earn the level more quickly. Each individual chooses his/her own way.

Tom

I suspect that one of the reasons those under 18 get a blue card only is to help the crew working with alcohol based drinks to quickly determine that a person is old enough to drink. By that I mean if you and I come up to a bar to order a drink and we both look like we could be under 18 the first thing that the bartender needs to do is look at the cruise card. If it is any color other than blue, he knows that that person is 18 or older. If the card is blue and the person looks like they could be under 18, he then can check the card to see if the letter A is in the lower right corner. No A=not an adult=no alcohol. By only having to check the blue cards, it saves the server time. Is that the reason for those under 18 being always given blue cards? Darned if I know, but it's possible.

Tom

Actually that isn't true. First, drinking age is 21 not 18. I think the bartender can tell that a 10 YO isn't old enough to drink so the ones in question would most likely be the 18 to 21 years old anyway. All they have to do is look at the card before making the drink to determine age. It has been speculated for legal reasons - a person under 18 making a purchase in the gift store (thus making a contract) - which also doesn't make sense since they do they just don't get the 10% discount.

As to how someone "earns" their status, whether it be gambling winnings, short cruises, or the travel agent way, does it really make any difference? You, or I, or anybody else can start gambling on ships, become a travel agent, travel in cabins by ourselves or move to an area where it is easier to take short cruises. Or, if you really want to get their quickly, take overnight cruises in a suite by ourselves and earn 3 points for a 1-nighter! The trade-off is you spend more money to earn the level more quickly. Each individual chooses his/her own way.

Tom

I don't believe that the color of your card for alcohol purposes has anything to do with youth not obtaining Captain's Circle levels. Captain's Circle loyalty levels are a marketing tool to entice customers to book another cruise with Princess. Youth do not book cruises and in fact are not permitted to book them. Providing youth with additional Captain's Circle benefits has limited marketing power.

We will hit 500 days with about 40 credits in Jan 2019 so it helps us.

I remember when Princess was celebrating their 50th anniversary people were getting recognition at the CC party for doing 50 cruises. What did you get in May to recognize the milestone?

hors d'oeuvres every day (i stopped that, it was a waste)

no flowers as i was on the majestic and there is no florist on board

chilled champagne (i gave to my steward)

the elusive chocolate covered strawberries! (i enjoyed every taste!!)

a visit to the bridge-- amazing!

the captain's circle hostess wanted to acknowledge me at the cc party but i declined. i'm not one to call attention to my 'status'.

I thought the cruise had to be completed?

nope, it was when you were on your 50th cruise credit.

i had 49 cruise credits. it was on my 50/ 51 that it was acknowledged.

i also take longer cruises, so counting my cruises instead of credits, i'm on par to reach 500 days before i get to 50 cruises.

nope, it was when you were on your 50th cruise credit.

i had 49 cruise credits. it was on my 50/ 51 that it was acknowledged.

i also take longer cruises, so counting my cruises instead of credits, i'm on par to reach 500 days before i get to 50 cruises.

Maybe I am thinking of Gold-Ruby-Platinum-Elite.

Qualifying cruise must be completed before the move to the next level.

I thought the cruise had to be completed?

Not on the milestone cruises, they do it on that voyage - on our 50th cruise. So it happens on the cruise where you hit the 500 days, not the one after it. We have a nice certificate that commemorates our 50th cruise.....

The rest of the stuff - elite benefits - "after you complete" is true.

Not on the milestone cruises, they do it on that voyage - on our 50th cruise. So it happens on the cruise where you hit the 500 days, not the one after it. We have a nice certificate that commemorates our 50th cruise.....

The rest of the stuff - elite benefits - "after you complete" is true.

On my cruise last Dec it was both my 50th cruise and 75th cruise credit and I got a lot of the perks mentioned. I now have 498 days so on my Sept cruise I should expect similar perks for passing 500 days?

I can also confirm that I received the extra perks on my 50th cruise. The shipboard card said 49, but I was on my 50th cruise.

In my case, my 50th cruise coincided with my 500 days. I'm currently about 170 days away from making 750. I will probably be on cruise 74 or 75, so the new system will be the same for me.

On my cruise last Dec it was both my 50th cruise and 75th cruise credit and I got a lot of the perks mentioned. I now have 498 days so on my Sept cruise I should expect similar perks for passing 500 days?

I would think that the Circle Host would be able to look at your account and see that you had already received the perks for your milestone cruise. You can also check with them when you board.

This could be interesting? Under the system used for MTP I dropped from 1500+ days to 1200 days (115 cruises) I have already had the milestone benefits for 75 & 100 cruises (Had over 50 when program started) Wife, on the other hand dropped below 1000 days and could be looking for a repeat of that benefit this December :-)

Actually that isn't true. First, drinking age is 21 not 18. I think the bartender can tell that a 10 YO isn't old enough to drink so the ones in question would most likely be the 18 to 21 years old anyway. All they have to do is look at the card before making the drink to determine age. It has been speculated for legal reasons - a person under 18 making a purchase in the gift store (thus making a contract) - which also doesn't make sense since they do they just don't get the 10% discount.

Yes, you're right about 18 versus 21. I'm well aware that someone 10 years old is not going to be mistaken for 18 to 21, but I was thinking more along the lines of an older teen trying to pass for being over legal drinking age, not a pre-teen. I was trying to use common sense.

Tom

Sounds like you should get the extras, again. :D

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone reached a milestone since the change? A friend of mine received the perks on the cruise where he reached the milestone but when I emailed Captains Circle they said it would be on the cruise after you reach the milestone. Since it seems there isn't any consistency with answers from Princess, I was just wondering what peoples experience has been.

Has anyone reached a milestone since the change? A friend of mine received the perks on the cruise where he reached the milestone but when I emailed Captains Circle they said it would be on the cruise after you reach the milestone. Since it seems there isn't any consistency with answers from Princess, I was just wondering what peoples experience has been.

Last June on the British Isle cruise, DH had 750 days on the next to last day of the cruise. When we boarded, all the flowers, champagne, etc was in the cabin. Had to ask the CC Hostess about it as we had not heard that they were now going by days and not cruises for the milestone achievements. I will be getting on the Crown Princess with just 2 kids on the 13th with 749 days. Will post what happens. If I have to wait till next cruise in January, at least DH will get to celebrate with me and go to Sabatini's for breakfast. It's only a 5 day so not a lot of breakfasts. I had planned to have his 75th cruise be on the World Cruise segment - Sydney to Cape Town.

On my TA in Sept I hit 500 days on the 2nd day aboard. I got all the goodies starting the first day, flowers in the cabin, champagne, and nightly goodies including chocolate strawberries. It was nice to be spoiled a little. A cruise or two earlier I hit 75 cruise credits and got all the stuff then also :)

Next goal is 100 credits / 600 days

On my TA in Sept I hit 500 days on the 2nd day aboard. I got all the goodies starting the first day, flowers in the cabin, champagne, and nightly goodies including chocolate strawberries. It was nice to be spoiled a little. A cruise or two earlier I hit 75 cruise credits and got all the stuff then also :)

Next goal is 100 credits / 600 days

Unless I missed a change to the milestones, the next milestone level after 500 days is 750 days. Not sure what 100 credits are but was told by the CC Hostess that only days were counted for the milestone levels.

Last June on the British Isle cruise, DH had 750 days on the next to last day of the cruise. When we boarded, all the flowers, champagne, etc was in the cabin. Had to ask the CC Hostess about it as we had not heard that they were now going by days and not cruises for the milestone achievements. I will be getting on the Crown Princess with just 2 kids on the 13th with 749 days. Will post what happens. If I have to wait till next cruise in January, at least DH will get to celebrate with me and go to Sabatini's for breakfast. It's only a 5 day so not a lot of breakfasts. I had planned to have his 75th cruise be on the World Cruise segment - Sydney to Cape Town.

Thanks, Tina. I would be really interested to know what happens on your Crown Cruise. I will hit my 1000 days on the Sydney to Capetown segment of the 2019 world cruise so would like to know if I get it on that one or the next one.

Hi everyone - have read this thread with no small amount of interest. A couple of questions for you from an Australian cruiser who will reach 500 sailing days with Princess on my next cruise - Fremantle to Singapore.

I emailed Captains Circle in Oz asking if this milestone would be acknowledged by Princess. It would seem that here in Australia they are completely unaware of this recognition. ;p

Has anyone been able to find something on the website confirming the 500/750/1000 day benefits enjoyed by some cruisers on this thread? I have searched and cannot find any reference to it.

I have noticed the responses on here have been mainly from US and Canadian cruisers - do hope the reason why my milestone will not be recognised is country-based.:eek: Does not seem right to me given that Princess has an international passenger base - any benefits should be shared with all who qualify. Has taken me a lot of years and money to get to 500 days :)

Many thanks in advance