5-Night Pacific Coastal

djhsolara

Just a bit of a rant:

We are booked on a 5-night Pacific Coastal on NA. Obviously this is just one part of a longer journey. I have to say that I feel like I'm being treated as a second-class passenger because we're not on the entire journey.

We called today and were told that we cannot book a cabana because we're not onboard for the minimum of 7 nights. We also asked about booking the Thermal Suite package. Once again, because we're not onboard for the minimum of 7 nights, we were not permitted to book.

We did make dinner reservations, however they did not want to allow us to use our OBC to book the reservations. They told us we could pay via credit card and then once onboard they could refund the credit card and use the OBC to pay. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I just needed to get that out of my system. I know that because we're on the smaller part of this journey, those on the entire time must be given first choices, but as I said, I just don't like being made to feel like we can't do anything because we're not onboard for 7 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising is still quite a bit afflicted with excessive and unwarranted classism, artificial distinctions between passengers based on something other than cash on the barrel.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

First of all, I am completely against the whole concept of paying extra to sit in a deck chair. The cabana booking policy of course make sense from their point of view. Again, it would be great if we could all just sit in any deck chair like it used to be.

The spa is different in that it is a bona fide limited-access "pay extra" feature. You can certainly buy spa services by the day.

The OBD is literally "on-board credit" to be used once you get on board. This applies to everybody and it seems to me that they are accommodating you.

igraf

Just a bit of a rant:

We are booked on a 5-night Pacific Coastal on NA. Obviously this is just one part of a longer journey. I have to say that I feel like I'm being treated as a second-class passenger because we're not on the entire journey.

We called today and were told that we cannot book a cabana because we're not onboard for the minimum of 7 nights. We also asked about booking the Thermal Suite package. Once again, because we're not onboard for the minimum of 7 nights, we were not permitted to book.

We did make dinner reservations, however they did not want to allow us to use our OBC to book the reservations. They told us we could pay via credit card and then once onboard they could refund the credit card and use the OBC to pay. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I just needed to get that out of my system. I know that because we're on the smaller part of this journey, those on the entire time must be given first choices, but as I said, I just don't like being made to feel like we can't do anything because we're not onboard for 7 nights.

I understand what you're saying regarding the OBC being for onboard, but we're trying to use it to pay for something that we are going to do onboard...that's what I can't wrap my head around.

I understand what you're saying regarding the OBC being for onboard, but we're trying to use it to pay for something that we are going to do onboard...that's what I can't wrap my head around.

We've cruised on many different lines, and I can't recall on any of them where we could use OBC for something purchased prior to boarding.

We have been long time cruisers on HAL and have always had shipboard credit.

Never, ever have we been able to use our shipboard credit to pre-purchase specialty restaurants or excursions.

That is HAL's rule and it will not change.

As a 5 star Mariner we can't even get our 50% discount for specialty restaurants when we pre-book them. Once we are on the ship it will show up as a "Loyalty" credit on our shipboard account.

We've cruised on many different lines, and I can't recall on any of them where we could use OBC for something purchased prior to boarding.

Celebrity recently changed their rules. We now can use OBC to purchase shore excursions (I don't know about specialty restaurants, but that may be allowed now too.

I really think it is not about "not being permitted" to purchase a cabana or Thermal Suite Pass.

HAL doesn't have the pricing set up for the duration you will be on the ship for. Of course, they also want to sell to the pax who will be on for the extended cruise and thereby ensure that those, who will be paying more, get first dibs on both.

This makes sense for a business perspective.

I am wondering if you also had to take a GUAR. This is quite common, too for the short cruise pax.

I really think it is not about "not being permitted" to purchase a cabana or Thermal Suite Pass.

HAL doesn't have the pricing set up for the duration you will be on the ship for. Of course, they also want to sell to the pax who will be on for the extended cruise and thereby ensure that those, who will be paying more, get first dibs on both.

This makes sense for a business perspective.

I am wondering if you also had to take a GUAR. This is quite common, too for the short cruise pax.

Yes, we had to do a guarantee, but honestly that's how we ALWAYS start a cruise reservation.

I get what you're saying about the business perspective, however, they are selling a 5-night product. I should be able to do the same things that I would do on a 7-night, 10-night, etc. If they are selling the product, they should be set up at accommodate it at every level. This makes me want to never book something that is part of a larger voyage. As I said, it truly makes me feel like I'm a second-class passenger that doesn't matter to them...I'm just revenue that they couldn't sell for the longer voyage.

I had the same issue with the cabana when I did the Eurodam Spring repo from San Diego to Vancouver. I had to write/call numerous times, escalating as I went. "none left", "only priced for 7 days", not offered" were all excuses. I finally got an email back that said there was ONE cabana left and did I want it.

I had the same issue with the cabana when I did the Eurodam Spring repo from San Diego to Vancouver. I had to write/call numerous times, escalating as I went. "none left", "only priced for 7 days", not offered" were all excuses. I finally got an email back that said there was ONE cabana left and did I want it.

Trust me...we are escalators. [emoji2]

Celebrity recently changed their rules. We now can use OBC to purchase shore excursions (I don't know about specialty restaurants, but that may be allowed now too.

You can now use OBC prior to boarding on Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to you both. We've been on Celebrity twice, but it's been awhile. Good to know this is an option.

. As I said, it truly makes me feel like I'm a second-class passenger that doesn't matter to them...I'm just revenue that they couldn't sell for the longer voyage.

Yes, bigger spenders with deeper pockets always get better treatment and priority on everything. That's how things roll in the real world. No point getting too upset over this.

We happen to be on the same cruise as the OP have taken several other 4-5 day Coastals in the past.

These Pacific Coastals are generally a good deal (price wise), but there are some downsides. The biggest one is not being able (generally) to select your cabin. The reason for this (and some of the other issues the OP is having) is that HAL wants to "save" the most in demand cabins for people who are taking the longer and more profitable segment of the cruise (this cruise is going on through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale). You cannot blame HAL for this approach and it is one of the reasons we are getting such low fares.

As to the Thermal spa pass, I can see why HAL does not want to miss the chance to sell a 20 (or whatever) day pass by selling you a 5 day one. I bet if you go to the Spa as soon as you board you will be able to purchase it, and likely at a reduced price, as by then they will know the demand for this capacity controlled item.

Like most things in life, you have to take the good with the bad, and understand the whys of the situation.

We happen to be on the same cruise as the OP have taken several other 4-5 day Coastals in the past.

These Pacific Coastals are generally a good deal (price wise), but there are some downsides. The biggest one is not being able (generally) to select your cabin. The reason for this (and some of the other issues the OP is having) is that HAL wants to "save" the most in demand cabins for people who are taking the longer and more profitable segment of the cruise (this cruise is going on through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale). You cannot blame HAL for this approach and it is one of the reasons we are getting such low fares.

As to the Thermal spa pass, I can see why HAL does not want to miss the chance to sell a 20 (or whatever) day pass by selling you a 5 day one. I bet if you go to the Spa as soon as you board you will be able to purchase it, and likely at a reduced price, as by then they will know the demand for this capacity controlled item.

Like most things in life, you have to take the good with the bad, and understand the whys of the situation.

Exactly, thank you for explaining it for the OP. As you mention, the fare for the 4 or 5 day cruises is really low - I've done those too and they are a great deal. But also, having been on 4 of the longer cruises of 20+ days, I do see HAL's logic in selling cabanas or thermal suite passes to those on for the whole journey first, and also giving them pick of cabin. Otherwise, it would be a logistical nightmare.. And hardly fair to those doing the whole journey.

I ended up with the feeling of "be glad we're even allowing you to book a cabin on this PORTION of a longer cruise". "don't whine about no cabanas, no thermal pass, no access to certain packages - we are letting you sail with the entitled ones who could afford to take more time off than you."

I even caught this attitude from some of the regular posters here.

I received another email today touting the 5 night Pacific Coastals. No mention of the non-availability of certain amenities to the 5 nighters because they are reserved for those on the longer segments. There really should be something there to let people know they will not be eligible for some things that others on the same ship will have during those 5 nights.

I ended up with the feeling of "be glad we're even allowing you to book a cabin on this PORTION of a longer cruise". "don't whine about no cabanas, no thermal pass, no access to certain packages - we are letting you sail with the entitled ones who could afford to take more time off than you."

I even caught this attitude from some of the regular posters here.

I received another email today touting the 5 night Pacific Coastals. No mention of the non-availability of certain amenities to the 5 nighters because they are reserved for those on the longer segments. There really should be something there to let people know they will not be eligible for some things that others on the same ship will have during those 5 nights.

You might have to wait until you get onboard, but I am pretty sure that with the numbers that get off (I'm just using our cruises as an example) in San Diego, that there should be openings at the thermal spa and maybe even cabanas.

I understand your issues - but you do need to look at this from a business point of view. Those sailings are sold dirt cheap and a great vacation. Bargains sometimes carry some conditions.

While it would be nice if HAL announced the non availability until you get on board - only a very small percentage of cruisers want the spa, thermal suite or cabana, etc.

Royal Caribbean does, but once you board they're all hovering to get you to buy more. We've purchased dining and coffee cards. All our shore ex were booked before this policy went in effect.

I don't see why one would pay extra for a cabana when you can get a balcony.

Wondering, will they not allow anyone to book a 5 day cabana, or make an exception for the b2b passengers?

One TA said HAL won't let us choose the cabin on a 5-day. But later, a new TA said let us pick the cabin on a 5-day.

celebrity allows you to use obc to pay for pre-cruise things like excursions. i know because i did it on my upcoming celebrity pacific coastal cruise in september:)

The OBC does not "exist" until you get on, at which time it's applied to your account. We have always pre booked specialty dining with a credit card and gotten it refunded to our account. It makes sense from an accounting perspective. If you pre book with a credit card and then cancel, you get a refund.

That would not work with the OBC. They would try to refund the money to a non existent place. A hole would open in the space time continuum. It's basically the same reason the Ghostbusters couldn't cross the streams.

The OBC does not "exist" until you get on, at which time it's applied to your account. We have always pre booked specialty dining with a credit card and gotten it refunded to our account. It makes sense from an accounting perspective. If you pre book with a credit card and then cancel, you get a refund.

That would not work with the OBC. They would try to refund the money to a non existent place. A hole would open in the space time continuum. It's basically the same reason the Ghostbusters couldn't cross the streams.

If the OBC does not exist, how is it that they can give it to us prior to boarding? This is not OBC associated with this specific reservation, it is OBC that was given to us as compensation for mistakes from a previous cruise...so yes, it is hanging somewhere out there in our profiles waiting for us to use it.

Question though...you say you reserve via credit card and then have it refunded back to your account. Do they refund back to the credit card or refund to your onboard account?

You might have to wait until you get onboard, but I am pretty sure that with the numbers that get off (I'm just using our cruises as an example) in San Diego, that there should be openings at the thermal spa and maybe even cabanas.

I understand your issues - but you do need to look at this from a business point of view. Those sailings are sold dirt cheap and a great vacation. Bargains sometimes carry some conditions.

While it would be nice if HAL announced the non availability until you get on board - only a very small percentage of cruisers want the spa, thermal suite or cabana, etc.

We're sailing from Vancouver to San Diego, so not really concerned about how many get off in San Diego to make things available.

Bottom line...we'll have a great trip no matter what. We're going to be on our favorite HAL ship and will enjoy it completely. We'll see what actually happens regarding the spa, etc because this may determine if we'll ever do a segment cruise again.