Fitbit on cruise

philliesgirl48

I know this is a crazy question but I wear my Fitbit all the time. I try to make 10,000 steps every day. I do not wear a watch because the time is on the Fitbit. My question is does the time reset as we go through the time zones? I think it may need to be done through my cell phone but that will be in airplane mode.

I use Walklogger on my cell phone. No worries about the time, I'm only interested in the number of steps/miles I take every day. It's quite accurate. I walk the park trails here and whenever I reach a park mile stone, I look at my walklogger to make sure it's accurate and it is. It's also a free app.

If you have your phone in airplane mode, you should still be able to manually change the time on your phone, or manually change the time zone (you may have to disable network time updates) and when you sync the Fitbit via BT (which you would have to re-enable on the phone after enabling airplane mode) the Fitbit will pick up the new time from the phone. I'm pretty sure that there is a setting on the Fitbit app on the phone to allow this.

I wear mine when we cruise. While my phone is in airplane mode, I change the time manually. If my Fitbit shows the "old" time, I am just very careful to be sure I always calculate that. I might even throw a cheap watch into the bag if I knew I'd be changing time zones many times. We did some great hikes in Alaska and I was super happy to see how far we had walked each day. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I have the fitbit zip as I can't wear any jewelry/rings/watches etc. at work.

I kept it in my pocket and did not change the time on our recent Alaska cruise.

I did have a watch that I changed to ship time.

I enjoyed seeing how much my steps increased on the cruise.

The cell phones were turned off and locked in the safe.

That's what I do, too. Put the phone in airplane mode, change time manually, and sync it with your fitbit.

Hmm, I couldn't sync mine UNLESS I had mine connected to the internet. I asked FB about this and they agreed. So even though the BT connection is on, active and working, one still needed a link to FBit's site.

Maybe it's because I have a newer one? Fibit ulta then. I have the HR now, but I suspect it's the same deal. I could try it at home and see what happens, but I'm too lazy right now.:evilsmile:

Being a little bit of a novice on my last cruise, I was going crazy because my Fitbit One was not updating on my computer, and the battery was running down in half a day - it usually goes two weeks or more. The problem was that on my previous cruises, I didn't have a smart anphone. I didn't know that I needed to turn on bluetooth when in airplane mode, and the fitbit was vainly trying to sync, thus using up battery. I was back and forth with emails to the fitbit people. but once I turned on bluetooth, everything was fine. EM

Hmm, I couldn't sync mine UNLESS I had mine connected to the internet. I asked FB about this and they agreed. So even though the BT connection is on, active and working, one still needed a link to FBit's site.

Maybe it's because I have a newer one? Fibit ulta then. I have the HR now, but I suspect it's the same deal. I could try it at home and see what happens, but I'm too lazy right now.:evilsmile:

Same problem I had with my Garmin.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

I wear mine when we cruise. While my phone is in airplane mode, I change the time manually. If my Fitbit shows the "old" time, I am just very careful to be sure I always calculate that. I might even throw a cheap watch into the bag if I knew I'd be changing time zones many times.

Good idea not to have the phone update automatically. Ship time may not be the same as the time zone you are sailing in.

During a cruise several months ago I didn't even try to sync my Garmin with my cell phone to download daily step reports or reset the time.

I intentionally walked at least 10,000 steps every day on a 16 day cruise, the steps were counted by my device and stored in it, and when I got home and my phone was no longer in airplane mode, I synced my Garmin to it and all of my daily results from the trip were downloaded to the phone app. I had no idea if the tracker would save the data for that long, and was pleasantly surprised that it did, and that the info transferred.

However, next cruise I will try manually resetting the time on my phone and see if I can then change the time displayed on my Garmin.using the BT connection. IF it works, I won't have to wear both my Garmin and a wristwatch!!!

according to fitbit forums, an internet connection is required to sync fitbit for time and alarms. the fitbit should store 7 days of data. i'm going to have 5 days at sea before i get to port. i will have cell data in port. it will just be annoying on ship when my fitbit doesn't match ship time, becuas i have heard the time changes several times on the Hawaii journey.

I use my Fitbit to track steps and calories consumed and expended. My Fitbit always goes crazy on cruises. Flying to London for our recent British Isles cruise caused it loose a whole day. It is constantly trying to seek to synch via Bluetooth and thus the battery is used up much faster than when at home. I only have the Internet on a very limited amount of time a day and so the ability to search for and add new foods is nearly impossible. You have to go with what is already stored in your device. Water intake can be kept up. Steps are usually recorded but it may take a while for the device to synch them. I do my best with traveling abroad with my Fitbit, but I pretty much have to wait until returning home before it acts completely normally again.

I know this is a crazy question but I wear my Fitbit all the time. I try to make 10,000 steps every day. I do not wear a watch because the time is on the Fitbit. My question is does the time reset as we go through the time zones? I think it may need to be done through my cell phone but that will be in airplane mode.

It will not be done auto.