Hurricane Irma Watch

LOL!! Yeah, the home on wheels (turtle shell land yacht :p). Fortunately parked here outside of Bar Harbor Maine right now.

Hope you keep safe, and hope our homes come through without serious damage also.

Feel helpless up here, worrying about our neighbors/families/friends and if we will still have a home

to come home to....but at least we are safe.

Our biggest worry now is Bella. She is with the kids on Merritt Island, but she makes evacuation plans for them more difficult.

I wonder if I can smuggle her on Oasis next week. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Absolutely devastating in St Maarten. The pics and videos coming out are horrific damage and flooding. I would imagine it will be a good month if not longer before cruise ships head back and if doing a land vaca it may be longer. Supposedly what they considered there four strongest building/structures are destroyed.

I think a month is too optimistic. Some of the islands might be able to handle a reduced load, but I think it will be at least two or three before most islands can handle 2,000+ visitors at once. I'm basing this on my only experience with a port cancellation following a hurricane.

September 7, 2004, Hurricane Ivan devastated Grenada. The first cruise ship to call on Grenada after that was the Norwegian Spirit on November 9. She was greeted with a red carpet welcome.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Life-after-Ivan-Slow-and-steady-recovery-in-Grenada

My cruise wasn't until December, but Royal Caribbean didn't stop in Grenada on my cruise - so obviously they weren't up for a full cruise schedule three months later.

I am guessing no extra points for us on board till Tuesday although we will have out of pocket expenses. Extra gratuities, what we spend on board for a drink or two ( no drink package), time away from the office, (husband had to cancel a full day of clients on Monday ), extra days of Internet and who knows what else. Luckily we did not fly to port, but with potentially bad weather we are not looking forward to a 7 hour drive north on Tuesday.

I don't know if we get anything. - I doubt it . Two extra days seems like fun but if you have other things scheduled, it is really is a mess. I had a minor surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Procedure was scheduled for a while and cruise was scheduled around the procedure. Heard we can make a free phone call from the cabin, but don't have that verified. Now we are off the ship in Falmouth. Having a drinking on land at margaritaville as we will likely have several seas days next week.

So do the folks on the new oasis 5 night get 5 nights of points or 7 ?

Saw a few folks walk off at Falmouth with luggage, wonder if they were flying out ahead of the storm?

I know many are or have been in harms way.

M

Hey there spleenstomper. I stopped looking at the weather channel because I got tired of the drama. I've been on my roll call for the September 10th sailing on Allure and MORE drama. Yes, it's BIG and right now it's a big ol' 5, but after raking the Antilles, Hispanoila, PR, Cuba etc it should calm down a bit. It's a fast moving storm, not a slow drowning drencher like Harvey so WHY are they canceling 7 day cruises?? If Allure can't disembark passengers on Sunday as scheduled, but could do it on Monday instead, why cancel a cruise ?? Why is everyone in PMS mode ?

I'm flying in to FLL on Friday, before the airports close. I'm bringing those battery powered tea lights, battery chargers for our phones, snacks galore and the latest Mitch Rapp book with a battery powered book light. i'm not being cavalier about this hurricane. I went through horrific tornados in WI , lived in Tampa for 7 years and my husband and I were chased from Miami and across Alligator Alley by Andrew. It was a memorable honeymoon that we still talk about 25 years later !

Why wouldn't Allure sail on Monday afternoon after the storm has passed ? Am I missing something ?? It sounds like if I am truly being a bit of a cheddar head, you would be the person to point it out. I just figured that it would be better to go a day earlier than to travel on Saturday and have FLL airport close in my face as I layover in Atlanta - thereby stranding us for 1-2 days before the airport opens again in FLL. And if Irma goes up the middle of FL, right up into Atlanta, well then I can spend yet another night in the Atlanta airport.

Can you, or can't you, wait out a hurricane - even a category 4 - in a hotel room ? Anybody ?? Real question, definitely not sarcasm, so please don't take it that way. I'm a feisty old broad but not mean !

I'm on Allure right now and they are saying we will not be back till Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our biggest worry now is Bella. She is with the kids on Merritt Island, but she makes evacuation plans for them more difficult.

I wonder if I can smuggle her on Oasis next week. [emoji33]

No smuggling needed, just declare her a service dog.

I think a month is too optimistic. Some of the islands might be able to handle a reduced load, but I think it will be at least two or three before most islands can handle 2,000+ visitors at once. I'm basing this on my only experience with a port cancellation following a hurricane.

September 7, 2004, Hurricane Ivan devastated Grenada. The first cruise ship to call on Grenada after that was the Norwegian Spirit on November 9. She was greeted with a red carpet welcome.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Life-after-Ivan-Slow-and-steady-recovery-in-Grenada

My cruise wasn't until December, but Royal Caribbean didn't stop in Grenada on my cruise - so obviously they weren't up for a full cruise schedule three months later.

That's not good our cruise is going to 3 of the wort hit islands - I may be on a cruise to nowhere. No biggy considering what the islanders are going through

I am guessing no extra points for us on board till Tuesday although we will have out of pocket expenses. Extra gratuities, what we spend on board for a drink or two ( no drink package), time away from the office, (husband had to cancel a full day of clients on Monday ), extra days of Internet and who knows what else. Luckily we did not fly to port, but with potentially bad weather we are not looking forward to a 7 hour drive north on Tuesday.

I don't know if we get anything. - I doubt it . Two extra days seems like fun but if you have other things scheduled, it is really is a mess. I had a minor surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Procedure was scheduled for a while and cruise was scheduled around the procedure. Heard we can make a free phone call from the cabin, but don't have that verified. Now we are off the ship in Falmouth. Having a drinking on land at margaritaville as we will likely have several seas days next week.

Saw a few folks walk off at Falmouth with luggage, wonder if they were flying out ahead of the storm?

M

They had a lot of crew joining and leaving the ship in Falmouth when we were last there, not sure if you could tell whether they were staff or passengers. I was kind of surprised to see someone bringing a 55" tv on board with them!

Seeing what happened in St. Maarten, and watching these web cams it is hard to imagine San Juan being ready to offload and on-load 3000 passengers in three days.

I know this isn't saying much and I'm not a meteorologist, but the last graphic I saw of Irma had the eyewall possibly missing PR to the north.

https://dsx.weather.com/util/image/map/MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL11_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

Are ships able to even get into St Marten for the foreseeable future? The pics look like the island is wiped out.

I doubt it. And no one will be flying in. I saw pics of the airport. What a mess! Most of Maho Beach is on the runway. In the news it said the 4 strongest built buildings (government buildings) are severely damaged so I'm thinking most have something wrong.

M

It was reported that those on the Liberty received extra points for their extended stay.

Seems to have died down some in St Croix- the water isn't going over the boardwalk.

St Croix is much better than I saw it a few hours ago. The center is almost due north of there right now, too. So the worst may have passed them.

I see it has died down. I tried to view the St. Thomas webcam but was only getting static pictures. We are going there, Ponce, and St. Kitts in November. St. Thomas looks to be more in the path.

husky01, please post there answer. My wife and I are scheduled on the Enchantment on 9/11 also. I doubt

I will to go into an area where a hurricane just passed.......we're from south Louisiana, so we have seen a hurricane or two!

Think that ship Enchantment was on the "cancel" list earlier today...

Why wouldn't Allure sail on Monday afternoon after the storm has passed ? Am I missing something ?? It sounds like if I am truly being a bit of a cheddar head, you would be the person to point it out. I just figured that it would be better to go a day earlier than to travel on Saturday and have FLL airport close in my face as I layover in Atlanta - thereby stranding us for 1-2 days before the airport opens again in FLL. And if Irma goes up the middle of FL, right up into Atlanta, well then I can spend yet another night in the Atlanta airport.

Can you, or can't you, wait out a hurricane - even a category 4 - in a hotel room ? Anybody ?? Real question, definitely not sarcasm, so please don't take it that way. I'm a feisty old broad but not mean !

You are missing a lot. You are very out of touch with reality. It's not simply "lets just sail right after the storm has passed." Who knows what damage will be done to the port and surrounding area. It takes A LOT of people to operate these ports and cruise ship terminals. There is a chance these people will not even be able to get to the port right after Irma passes depending on the damage it causes (downed trees, power lines, loss of power/utilities, flooding of the streets, etc). Never mind the fact that these people are worried about their own lives, their families, their homes. They need a moment to pick up the pieces as well. Emergency crews will all be very busy and over stretched and shouldn't be worried about a bunch of tourist immediately in the aftermath.

This is a very serious storm and has already caused devastating damage to some of the Caribbean Islands and is on a path toward Florida. Hopefully it weakens, or better yet, takes path back out to the Atlantic. But it is a very unpredictable situation. As some one mentioned, I would make alternative arrangements...and free up a hotel room for some evacuees or emergency responders.