When will cruise ships offer free wi-if in cabins?

Moxiefurball

Some cruise lines do, Silversea and Regent and I'm sure most of the other luxury lines. But you'll have to loosen the purse strings quite a bit!

I wouldn't count on the mainstream lines anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No kidding, our Silversea cruise to Antarctica on the Cloud Expedition ship is the most expensive cruise we have ever paid for, twice the price of a 18-night Owner's Suite on the Pacific Princess. But it is our bucket list cruise.

Edited by cflutist

If you take five cruises or 50 days on Princess you get a nice allocation of internet mins. as a Captain's Circle benefit. Don't expect unlimited internet anytime soon. Satellite internet service is expensive. Wi-Fi is free and available in cabins.

Have you been on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean lately? They both offer unlimited high speed internet. You can even get it as a free perk on some sailings. My next cruise is on Royal Caribbean and I can purchase a week of unlimited for $105.

Have you been on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean lately? They both offer unlimited high speed internet. You can even get it as a free perk on some sailings. My next cruise is on Royal Caribbean and I can purchase a week of unlimited for $105.

Have fun. I'll stick with Princess. My wife and I each have 500 minutes on our next cruise. Should be plenty. We don't plan to spend our time online all that much. :)

Have fun. I'll stick with Princess. My wife and I each have 500 minutes on our next cruise. Should be plenty. We don't plan to spend our time online all that much. :)

You are welcome to stick with Princess. I don't stick with one cruise line but Celebrity would be my first choice. Princess has continued to decline. I was surprised how much last week. Princess has dropped to fourth choice for me.

Do you guys realize even CREW have to pay for internet?? Yes, it's a lower rate than the guests but it's on the same SLOW satellite which is why every crew member knows the best FREE wifi in every port! (but they won't tell you as they don't want all the ship guests following them there! :') )

As long as the cruises are making money (and the great point above about keeping you out and about rather than in your cabin) they will not be offering free wifi in cabins except on higher end lines.

I always am amazed these days how many people think that this, that, and the other thing should be free. Somehow they fail to realize that nothing (consumer products-wize) is actually free. It has to be paid for by someone (or lots of someones). :confused:

I don't expect the internet to be free. But Princess should offer internet that works for a reasonable price. As I mentioned other cruise lines offer unlimited internet that works, at reasonable prices.

I'm completely repeating hearsay here, but I've read that Royal Caribbean basically has a lock on most of the available satellites for this use; in other words shutting out the other cruise lines from access. I would imagine there's no fix until more satellites are launched.

(if this is incorrect I'd love to know the real story, I'm interested in this from a technical perspective.)

It was only unlimited for Full Suite passengers.

There has only ever been the minutes package benefit for Platinum and Elite.

Not true. Before April 2007 unlimited internet was a Platinum and Elite benefit - had to use the internet cafe though since it didn't include wireless access.

Old benefits circa 2006:

cc_mp_plat_mem_mendoza.gif

Complimentary Cruise Atlas

Every year you will automatically receive a copy of our Princess Cruise Atlas. With details on all itineraries and sailings for the year, you will be able to plan ahead easily!

Free upgrade to TravelCare Gold

As a Platinum member, when you purchase our Standard Travel Care travel protection plan, we will automatically give you a free upgrade to the Gold package,- that’s double the cover - on us!

Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. If you are a Platinum member, you and your family or guests will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

Platinum Members Lounge

In recognition of your loyalty, and to make your last morning with us more enjoyable, we invite Platinum members to use the Platinum Members Lounge, offering light refreshments and peace while you await disembarkation.

Free Internet Access

We know you like to keep in touch with home, so we are also pleased to reward your repeat business with free internet access while you are onboard. Times and availability are dependent upon the ship. Does not include wireless internet access.

avid cruiser , love princess but isn't it time for princess and all lines to offer free wi-if in cabins. Any thoughts ? Will it ever happen , it seems it has to

Anything is possible. Like what we have and can do now that we thought was not possible years ago. Will it be in our lifetime? I can only hope.

Satellite links are still expensive and limited in bandwidth. Cheaper and faster communication while at sea will need to become available first.

They links couldn't even support it right now if everyone was online at once. Limiting minutes keeps utilization lower at any given time.

some don't seem to understand how expensive satellite links are.

Anything is possible. Like what we have and can do now that we thought was not possible years ago. Will it be in our lifetime? I can only hope.

Almost everything we take for granted now was science fiction when I was a kid.

Microwave

Color TV

Flat panel (non-CRT) TV

Electric Cars

Space Station

Credit Cards (Loved it in the old Science Fiction books where everything cost so many "credits" and you just used a plastic card to buy things.)

Cell phones

Computers

WiFi

Air conditioning in cars (heck, air conditioning in houses wasn't very common and required big bucks)

Traffic cameras

GPS

Lamps that turn on with a touch (or even lamps that could dim)

Cable TV

Pretty much anything you can think of that is common today was science fiction back then. I'm not even all that old.

Do you guys realize even CREW have to pay for internet?? Yes, it's a lower rate than the guests but it's on the same SLOW satellite which is why every crew member knows the best FREE wifi in every port! (but they won't tell you as they don't want all the ship guests following them there! :') )

As long as the cruises are making money (and the great point above about keeping you out and about rather than in your cabin) they will not be offering free wifi in cabins except on higher end lines.

We have asked crew members many times where to get good wifi in port, in fact many show us the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always am amazed these days how many people think that this, that, and the other thing should be free. Somehow they fail to realize that nothing (consumer products-wize) is actually free. It has to be paid for by someone (or lots of someones). :confused:

I pay plenty for cruise plenty for Princess excursions drinks extras . Yes ar1950 I expect and want free internet in this day and age or at the very minimum at a small price not the outrageous prices of today. And if royal and celebrity have it, why not princess?

I would love to have free Internet access in my cabin, just like when I am in a hotel room. BUT can you imagine the speed if all passengers had it with even a quarter trying to access at the same time!!!

We had free Internet access when we were on a road trip last June. But it didn't mean that we always were able to get Internet access. At one hotel, I kept having trouble being able to check my web-based email on my phone. My daughter had better luck with her laptop. I'm guessing it depended on whether many others at the hotel were on line at the same time.

I pay plenty for cruise plenty for Princess excursions drinks extras . Yes ar1950 I expect and want free internet in this day and age or at the very minimum at a small price not the outrageous prices of today. And if royal and celebrity have it, why not princess?

And with the "free" internet you will be paying even plenty more somewhere else. Goes back to the old saw, "there is no free lunch".

YMMV

I'm completely repeating hearsay here, but I've read that Royal Caribbean basically has a lock on most of the available satellites for this use; in other words shutting out the other cruise lines from access. I would imagine there's no fix until more satellites are launched.

(if this is incorrect I'd love to know the real story, I'm interested in this from a technical perspective.)

Royal is using the O3b satellite network. I think there are 12 satellites currently with more to be launched. I suspect that they will sell to anyone who buys their service.

There are other companies like Space X, Hughes and OneWeb that are launching or planning to launch thousands of low orbit satellites to provide low latency and higher speed service.

There is going to be plenty of bandwidth available but its still going to be more costly than land based internet. One way or another passengers will pay for it. Either as an optional add on or rolled into the cruise fares. So if were "free" like the other person wants that would only be an illusion. The fare would be higher to pay for it. Satellites cost a lot of money and there is no way will it be that cruise lines can eat that cost and not pass it on. The cost to passengers can be reasonable though.

It is in the interest of the cruise lines to have passengers using internet and posting about their cruises on Facebook and Instagram. Great advertising plus it enhances onboard services so I expect that unlimited interent will be offered at reasonable prices, not free but reasonable.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes I sailed Royal Caribbean, and the cost was $17.50 per DEVICE per day. So if my DW and I wanted to be on the internet at the same time that would have been $35 per day. Ridiculous.

Back to the OP's topic:

Internet access while at sea is a technology issue, with all links requiring 2 way satellite access. In many spots in the ocean there isn't satellite coverage. But beyond that it is a bandwidth issue - like having a Tollway with 3 or 4 lanes. Even with most cars (read this as internet packets of information) travelling at a decent speed, there will be people who want to drive NASCAR or F1 speeds (think internet streaming of videos, etc here). It just won't happen, as the Tollway is not built to handle that kind of traffic, and it will cost millions to get it there. Even if one dedicated a lane for superfast traffic (think HoV lanes here) and made people pay premium, there would probably be enough traffic to create traffic jams and dissatisfied customers.

So what we have now is paid internet, limits on type of traffic (no streaming video), and wifi throughout the ships. Even at today's speeds there are issues with too much traffic (like on the final day of the cruise where everyone wants to confirm their travel arrangements, and some technology improvement to undo this type of log jam would be nice.

Remembering that the main purpose of cruising is to relax and get away from the world, I for one am fine with this. We have the capability of keeping in touch with family. But we are on vacation, and having a vacation from most internet, and especially work, is great.

Yes I sailed Royal Caribbean, and the cost was $17.50 per DEVICE per day. So if my DW and I wanted to be on the internet at the same time that would have been $35 per day. Ridiculous.

That is the price if you wait tobuy until you are onboard. If you buy in advance it is $14.39 a day. And for two devices it is $25.58 a day. We don't do the two devices plan though. The way it works it is easy for two people to share the one device plan. Each person with the password can logout out the other person when they want to be on. Sharing the one device plan is quite simple.

And with the "free" internet you will be paying even plenty more somewhere else. Goes back to the old saw, "there is no free lunch".

YMMV

Ar50.. lol.. I'm already getting free lunch on the cruise now I want free internet in cabin.

Edited by Moxiefurball

I am one that actually could care less about internet when on a cruise. When at home we are attached to our phones 24/7 for work purposes; we cruise to tell people - sorry no internet so we will talk to you in a week!

People talk all the time about how awful Carnival perks are but Platinum on there gets the priority stuff and free laundry - those are the things I like and I have 12 more cruises on Princess before I get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

avid cruiser , love princess but isn't it time for princess and all lines to offer free wi-if in cabins. Any thoughts ? Will it ever happen , it seems it has to

I don't think it's going to happen soon. They make to much money to give it (wi-if) to you for free.

Tony

I would love to have free Internet access in my cabin, just like when I am in a hotel room. BUT can you imagine the speed if all passengers had it with even a quarter trying to access at the same time!!!

Many hotels charge a per day fee, not all are free.