Never Been To A Spa

Ukigirl

5 more days until we will be sailing on Freedom,been counting down for a year! I get my hair and an occasional manicure/pedicure at the salon but I’ve never been to a spa, thinking of treating myself to a massage or facial and am looking for suggestions. I’ve seen the workers selling spa packages all over the ship, wondering when is the best time to purchase and what specifically should I look for? My husband won’t do a couple’s massage so it’s going to be all about me, woohoo. Would love some input.

Best deals are usually on the ship. Go to the tour the first day. Prices are still generally more than for a similar service on land, but it is a nice treat for yourself. They will try and hard sell you additional products. You can buy the same products online for much less.

I tell them upfront I am probably not going to buy additional products. I always tell them half jokingly that what I spend on additional products decreases the amount of tip left from my spa budget. Seems to work and my experiences with the spa have been good.

port days. usually there will be a special for like $99 and will include your choice of three mini sessions( massage, facial, etc) for an hour( 20 minutes each)

otherwise the spa on board is ridiculously overpriced. I regularly get 90 minute massages at home, at one of the chains, for $69.

there will probably be a very hard sell for the products and sometimes they do not back down when you say no.

5 more days until we will be sailing on Freedom,been counting down for a year! I get my hair and an occasional manicure/pedicure at the salon but I’ve never been to a spa, thinking of treating myself to a massage or facial and am looking for suggestions. I’ve seen the workers selling spa packages all over the ship, wondering when is the best time to purchase and what specifically should I look for? My husband won’t do a couple’s massage so it’s going to be all about me, woohoo. Would love some input.

Just since you say you have never been to a spa I would assume you have not had certain treatments either. I would advise that you do the facial some day at home, not on a cruise. Facials are great for the skin, but they can be uncomfortable at times and they can cause redness and irritation that can be exacerbated by the sun. They also can cause an increase in pimples or other issues temporarily immediately following the treatment and that can last a few days. So I don't think its a good time to be stirring up problems in your skin that are laying dormant. They are also not relaxing in my opinion at all.

Massage on the other hand is, and I think massage is the way to go.Possibly even a hot stone massage. They are really nice. I think the quality and the atmosphere in a ship spa is really very nice.

Be sure to arrive early as rushing to a spa appointnment is the worst!!! And they pressure you to sign up for very early appointments in the beginning of the cruise, they do that because nobody wants those appointments. If you are an early riser and like it.......go for it, but don't feel pressure, they have plenty of other appointments. Also, prices are better on port days so if you know you are staying on the ship,or you know you are getting back early you can save by booking on the port day. And like the other ladies said, don't buy the products. I think the products are pushed more on the facials, because they play on our insecurities, and the desire to look younger....... but even if you fell in love with a product you can get it on land or the internet cheaper.

Spa treatments used to be my favorite part of my cruise. No more. They have priced me out as I can get 2 massages at home for the price of 1 on the ship.

Like someone posted, if you do decide to take advantage of a port day special, tell them right up front you are NOT going to buy any products. If they insist just tell them no extra tip on top of the 18% they add to tab.

I do on occasion do the port day special for $99 when it is offered. Enjoy your cruise.

port days. usually there will be a special for like $99 and will include your choice of three mini sessions( massage, facial, etc) for an hour( 20 minutes each)

otherwise the spa on board is ridiculously overpriced. I regularly get 90 minute massages at home, at one of the chains, for $69.

there will probably be a very hard sell for the products and sometimes they do not back down when you say no.

My last 3-4 massages have had no sales pitch. Just a glass of water at the end. Oasis and Majesty

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you can get a 60 minute treatment for under $100; that is a good deal. They do add a mandatory service charge, so total should be under $120. I love facials and find them extremely relaxing. You can usually get a combo where they do a mini facial during your massage. Go early and enjoy the relaxation room. Stay after and enjoy the facilities. And there are plenty of spas around Tampa that charge a lot more than the ship does. Hope you enjoy.

I had my first ever spa experience on Oasis and it was my last RC spa experience. The front desk staff were snobby and rude and one of them actually told me they’d been laughing about me behind my back. The treatment itself (reflexology which was supposed to come with a massage but didn’t) was ok, but the second I said I wasn’t really interested in buying any products the attitude change was appalling. I had looked forward to this so much and it was so upsetting. I will never visit the on board spa again.

I have a question for the gang - I had previously only booked massages on cruises or through salons that had spa services, so I was quite surprised when I visited a standard spa and had the ability to use the spa areas as .a part of the massage. On RCI, do you gain access to the thermal suites just by booking a spa service? I'd never thought to ask on my last cruise, but I'm far more willing to spring for a massage if it also allows me to relax in the thermal area afterwards (now that I know this is a thing one can do).

Port days have specials...they aren't advertised in advance, however. Even with the "special" price, it will be MUCH more expensive than anyplace on land.....

Yes but being on vacation, many people choose to take the opportunity to splurge or pamper. It's not always about the money.

Langley Cruisers gives good advice. One thing I would suggest. IF your trip includes one of the private islands, check to see if they offer a 'massage on the beach' special. Hubby and I have done that in Labadee twice and LOVED it. While it's not 'actually' ON the beach it was so nice and unique. They have private 'cabanas' up higher. The first time there was a light rain falling so we heard the sound of pit-a-pat on the leaves along with the ocean waves coming and going. So nice to hear 'real' sounds instead of those on a cd. It was worth the cost (of about twice what I pay at home). And most of services I've had on the ship there wasn't extra pressure to buy. The few times they started, I just said no thank you and they left it at that. Do consider treating yourself and enjoy.

Erika

Thank you all for your feedback, thinking I will probably pass on the spa experience at sea and find some place local when I get back. The hard sell to buy products is a turn off for me.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to feedback on CC. Actual experience varies but some exaggerate the hard sell bit. They will offer you products but you can politely decline.

Pick a time and day which suits you best. Keep an eye out for offers but my view is don't be driven by offers to be pushed into a slot which doesn't suit. Plan for plenty of time before and after for it to be a relaxing experience.

If this is something you have never done then I believe it is worth having a go. For me, being on a cruise is always about doing things I wouldn't normally do or might not have experienced before.

I personally find the spa on board to be stressful, LOL. The hard sales pitches make me twitchy and tense. I worry about the livelihood of the workers - if I don't buy this over priced product, will this person be in trouble? This stuff gets in my head - I love to go to spas - but am happy to pamper myself on land where I'm not feeling pressure to be upsold.