Prices going UP

Papa Hooks

I'm a relative newbie to cruising, only gone to Alaska in 2015 and will be repeating the trip again in 2018. Our cruise leaves at the end of April from Seattle. We booked last summer at a balcony price of $1349, I believe. Since then, it went up to $1499 and today it is at $1599. Is this normal? Will it drop again? I'm locked in at our booking price, but kept reading posts of other cruises dropping hundreds of dollars, but we are headed the opposite way!

I'm a relative newbie to cruising, only gone to Alaska in 2015 and will be repeating the trip again in 2018. Our cruise leaves at the end of April from Seattle. We booked last summer at a balcony price of $1349, I believe. Since then, it went up to $1499 and today it is at $1599. Is this normal? Will it drop again? I'm locked in at our booking price, but kept reading posts of other cruises dropping hundreds of dollars, but we are headed the opposite way!

A lot of Princess prices went up on 1 November. We booked Sapphire x 2 and Royal in early October for cruises out of Southampton next May/June. They went up hundreds of dollars overnight on November 1. One cruise - Sapphire - Scandinavia, went up by $100 per day for a balcony cabin, that is a big jump. The promotional/launch fare period is probably over. :evilsmile:

OP says they are locked into their price ?

People are re faring their cruises every day .

Don't understand ?

Early and late season Alaska are sailings that often see lower

rates closer to sailing . Watch for the never ending sequence of Princess Sales and adjust .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mirror Mirror on the wall will my cruise fare drop? How does anyone here know?

Not necessarily "normal", except, this is an Alaska cruise. It is more normal than not for Alaska cruises to keep going up in price these days rather than going down. Be happy that you booked early and you probably got the best price that you are going to see for your cruise. However, keep watching just in case, you never know. :)

In my experience, absolutely normal for pricing to go up. It almost always goes up after itineraries are released and continues to go up. If cabins don’t sell, then prices will come down and/or there will be a promotion with incentives to book.

In my experience, absolutely normal for pricing to go up. It almost always goes up after itineraries are released and continues to go up. If cabins don’t sell, then prices will come down and/or there will be a promotion with incentives to book.

Spot on Pam.:)

in my experience, absolutely normal for pricing to go up. It almost always goes up after itineraries are released and continues to go up. If cabins don’t sell, then prices will come down and/or there will be a promotion with incentives to book.

bazinga!

Supply and demand.

I do have to say though that when we sailed to Alaska in early June a few years back, we were surprised at how low prices went. Initially. we booked a standard oceanview cabin and prices went up a few hundred dollars over a few months. But then, prices held steady until the day after final payment when I paid for my cruise in full. On that day, prices dropped like an airplane on fire. I was SO angry because it seemed that the cruise line had purposely waited until after final payment to pull the plug.

I called my TA, who secured the difference in price as onboard credit. But even after that, prices kept dropping pretty much until a few days before sailing. I called again 3 days before departure and the cruise line offered an upgrade to a balcony stateroom plus more OBC even though I didn't ask for it.

By the time it was all said and done, we sailed to Alaska for cheaper than a Caribbean cruise during low season!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all depends on how well the cruise is selling. Back in 2009 when we were in recession, there were fire sales everywhere. I remember seeing basically two for one sales for cabins on my Ruby T/A.....

Bob

You can bet a 'Red Hot Ruby' will spot a deal, well done Bob. Like you I am still hunting out the deals, although not many on Princess these days. Cruising is too popular, most of the ships fill real fast.:loudcry:

You can bet a 'Red Hot Ruby' will spot a deal, well done Bob. Like you I am still hunting out the deals, although not many on Princess these days. Cruising is too popular, most of the ships fill real fast.:loudcry:

Unfortunately so Les.....:(

Bob

It all depends on how well the cruise is selling. Back in 2009 when we were in recession, there were fire sales everywhere. I remember seeing basically two for one sales for cabins on my Ruby T/A.....

Bob

Those were the "good old days", when TA's were among the cheapest cruise fares available.

In recent years, too many people have discovered them and they tend to book up quickly, and the fares reflect that popularity.

Nowdays, I consider myself very lucky if I can get a non-premium balcony cabin for 2 for under $200/day per person.

Supply and demand. I also find that the minute they offer a promotion like a drink package or 3 for free the price jumps up so this could be the case if they are running a so called sale. I would still keep an eye out for a price drop especially as you are getting closer to final payment.