Escape Margaritaville now has a cover charge?

QuickieGlenn

It's 16.95/per person plus the 18% - works out to $40 for 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As of this month, service charge or gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.

Minor edit - @ 16.95 p/p plus 20% = $20.34 ... just some extra nickels & dimes :rolleyes: so no big deal, got it.

The burgers & sandwiches served at OSH (and, gosh - the buffet) are just fine. The joint was nearly empty on the Breakway last month when I scroll by twice on sea days when it was open for lunch. Wait, this place isn't AYCE for that price, right ??

As we prepare for our Getaway cruise next week, I noted on ncl.com that a "specialty service charge" will be added. I'll report back when we return.

I agree completely with the prior poster who theorized that NCL is perhaps attempting to cut ties with Buffett, Inc.

And for the poster who mentioned Guy's Burgers on Carnival, yes, they are OFF THE HOOK.

As we prepare for our Getaway cruise next week, I noted on ncl.com that a "specialty service charge" will be added. I'll report back when we return.

I agree completely with the prior poster who theorized that NCL is perhaps attempting to cut ties with Buffett, Inc.

And for the poster who mentioned Guy's Burgers on Carnival, yes, they are OFF THE HOOK.

You can report back. If this is the case...I am NOT going to go near the place. See you on the ship.

No way would I pay 16.99 per person to eat there. Hope it works out for them... Not really. I actually hope that this idea crashes and burns before our cruise in May.

I agree I would not pay it but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hope the idea crashes, though I am guessing it will.

Next thing you know, the only FREE dining will be Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. The more extra charges, the more I want to cancel the Cruise and hook up the camper and give up the whole idea of changing our plans of what a vacation is.

The strange thing is we don't average $20pp on food when we eat at Margaritaville. Everyone is around the $12 mark on average. It is way overpriced.

Even stranger, it was already a ghost town. It's like they're trying to kill the place off lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to think that the Jimmy Buffet licensing will go the way of the Grammy Experience and Nickelodeon. When we were on Escape 2 weeks ago, Margaritaville was consistently empty (and not even open for dinner), 5 o'clock somewhere bar was busy on the waterfront, but dead inside to the point that I thought it was closed when we walked in.

It seems like a no brainer to adjust pricing to demand. Obviously with it complimentary the demand is too high, therefore making it a bad experience for those that want in. At the ala carte and $16.99 cover charges it's just too much for a light lunch and there is no demand at all. Why not try it at $9.99 or $7.99?

Next thing you know, the only FREE dining will be Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. The more extra charges, the more I want to cancel the Cruise and hook up the camper and give up the whole idea of changing our plans of what a vacation is.

A bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

I have to agree. The only thing that makes sense about this recent change HAS to be that they want to "kill" the agreement with NCL and Buffett.

Like others had posted, I originally booked the Escape for a few reasons, one being the initial announcement that Margaritaville was "COMPLIMENTARY." We are sun people and hang out at the pool so the thought of not having to don clothes etc. and meander into the buffet and instead take a short walk up for a burger and nachos was thrilling.

ALAS, that did not last long and NCL changed it to ala carte pricing by the time we took our first Escape cruise.

That said at the current prices I never entertained ordering and paying anything off the menu. Just way too much money for regular burger joint food priced extra on my cruise. Nope, not doing that.

Now 16.95 fee per person.... Are you kidding me? It WAS a ghost town on all 3 our Escape cruises and now will be guaranteed to be the same...

I wonder what they'd rather do with that space if they close the Margaritavilles. Seems likely to be another restaurant, but I wonder what they'd put in that would generate more revenue.

Or we're reading this all wrong, and the NCL bean counters say that Margaritaville with a cover charge did great on Breakaway, so widen the scope. I know all the reports here have said nobody's buying, but the only 2 things that make much sense to me are either they're trying to kill the agreement so they can replace it with something else, or it really is making enough money as is.

Would have been nice if it was complimentary, as it was when we first booked the Escape.

Prices were reasonable but a 17.00 approx. cover/flat fee NO WAY is it worth that.

Agree NCL is probably looking for a way out of paying royalties. Let's raise price and destroy revenue. Sorry JB projected money doesn't live up to contract/expectations.

We tried Margaritaville on the Breakaway last week (12 day 12/3-12/15 cruise.) It was a ghost town all cruise, never more than 2 or 3 tables. But we also had absolutely horrible weather nearly all cruise, so there were only 3 days that anyone would have WANTED to be there.

It was open 12-4 most days. $15.99 cover charge covers one appetizer, one main course, and one dessert for each person. The food was all of very high quality compared to the buffet. Problem is there was way too much food and the price is comparable to most of the specialty dining venues where you expect top notch services and gourmet food.

Basically this confirmed what everyone says. Not worth it. Needs to be a la carte so we can eat an appropriate amount of food. Most appetizers are sized to be shared, not solo dishes on top of a good size entre burger or similar. And I don't want dessert, and don't want to pay for it!

The bar was the least used on the ship. Do the poor bartender a favor and stop by! No cover charge for the bar.

• 3 months later...
Yes. $16.99 + 20 percent service gratuity per person.

Unless you're a Haven guest, and then it is free on Embarkation Day only. It was busy day 1 with all the Haven guests. Hardly ever saw anyone in it afterwards.