Los Cabos whats up having to pay for bathroom?

moosenaroundtheship

We travel a lot in Europe and I always carry $1 euro coins with me for the bathrooms. Frankly if the bathroom is free, I’m hesitant to go in. I would rather pay the dollar, then I know it’s clean and maintained.

I agree.......This will make you laugh back in 2006, I was in Italy with my 14 year old son...we go to use the toilet which is in the basement of the Basilica of St, Francis of Assisi and they actually had an old cash register and women manning it, who took your money. I asked if I could take a photo of her and the register because it shocked me so.... and was told no...then I asked if It would be permitted if I gave a larger donation.........what do you think she said......?

I have some great stories about paying for the use of toilets.....

Travel should make one modest, for you realize what a tiny place you occupy in the universe.

Enjoy......

Travel should make one modest, for you realize what a tiny place you occupy in the universe.

You're in good company with that thought.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

and when you order that food or drink - you are contributing to the overhead aka bathroom

You don't have to order anything, you can go right to the bathroom at Captain Tony's, use it then walk right out. But heh, they have the best Margaritas and Bloody Mary's around. We bought a round of beers once for some crew members eating and drinking at Captain Tony's. Only overhead I contribute to is being served booze or food.

Obviously a lot of not very worldly or well travelled contributors on this thread. It is very normal to pay to use the toilet in many countries, including throughout Europe.

They have to be cleaned, maintained and wages paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm well traveled, I just don't play their game.

Peeing in a toilet is stealing? Who knew! Thanks for the laugh!

You are welcome, you are kind of funny, peeing comes with the use of water to flush the toilet (that consumes water, that the guy that rent that space, or maybe owned it, have to pay to the Mexican government), also if you wash your hands, you are consuming water + soap (that have a cost, is not free), also they have to clean the restroom, that you have to pay for the materials to clean it, plus more water., and also the plumber to maintain the bathroom.

Don’t you clean your restroom? Or pay your bills?, you may know that if you do. Or is that an “alternative fact”?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use the restrooms in the mall at the end of the Cabo marina, which are free and relatively clean. It also has a/c, a coffee shop with wifi, and a couple of souvenir shops that don't require haggling. I put on headphones to block out sellers of fishing trips and cigars, which makes the walk around the marina much more pleasant. I save peso coins for public toilets in other ports and to use on the public bus in Puerto Vallarta. Having witnessed the horrors of public restrooms in Russia and Ukraine, I was happy to spend a few coins to use ones maintained and kept clean and helping out poor old women. Having stopped at a public restroom after a cruise last week along the San Diego waterfront, with homeless guys sleeping and doing their business there and remembering the hepatitis outbreak there, a system of paid, attended public toilets sounds like an attractive idea for the US too.

Obviously a lot of not very worldly or well travelled contributors on this thread. It is very normal to pay to use the toilet in many countries, including throughout Europe.

They have to be cleaned, maintained and wages paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree it is the norm in most places in Europe and other countries around the world.....love to see them try not paying in certain countries....in Scandinavia you would probably be arrested....also...you have to pay with a debit card to even enter many restrooms in Scandinavia.....;p

I'm well traveled, I just don't play their game.

Doubt it....you probable only travel on a cruise ship so you can take your way of life with you and not experience local customs or food....if you were so well traveled you would know that it is common practice in Mexico and Central and South America......take along some Depends and I believe your anger issue will be solved....:rolleyes:

I walked right past the shakedown woman and went to the bathroom, washed my hands and left. They ought to be happy that the ship even stops there now with all the violence going on in Mexico.

That's what we did...only it was a shakedown guy and he smelled like booze. Give you $$, I don't think so. And the bathroom was dirty with no towels to dry hands.

The fact that a business allows non-customers to pay a small fee to use their facilities is not extortion, it is a courtesy.

The one we used was a separate building, not part of a business. The "pay me" sign was written by hand and the shakedown guy looked like he just needed $$ so he could go to the nearest bar (kind of like the bums in LA & NYC who try to get $ for washing your car windshield while you're at a stop light).

The one we used was a separate building, not part of a business. The "pay me" sign was written by hand and the shakedown guy looked like he just needed $$ so he could go to the nearest bar (kind of like the bums in LA & NYC who try to get $ for washing your car windshield while you're at a stop light).

Was there a sign that said "free PUBLIC restroom"?? Maybe the business was purely that of providing a restroom. Whoever the owner of that facility was, you don't have a right to the free use of whatever facilities you choose.

Don (If I may):

You are likely to hear that:

1) Princess should not stop at the terrible ports where citizens holdup passengers for a few pennies for use of the facilities.

2) Lavatory facilities should be freely available to any Tom, Dick or Mary that has a need or Princess should withhold the payment of government fees and port charges.

3) Princess should only cruise to ports within the USA and protect the Right to Poop Freely. (This is the main reason to change the PVSA)

The port facilities in Cabo are all privately or state owned. Carnival or any other cruise line did not pay for the facilities. While it may be common in the US/Canada to have free access to bathrooms, in other parts of the world like Europe it is common to have to pay to use the bathroom. It has to be cleaned and stocked so they put the cost on the user.

Amen. You find it all over Europe.

Peeing in a toilet is stealing? Who knew! Thanks for the laugh!

If there is a charge, and you force your way past to use the facilities, it would fall under theft of services, so yes that that case it is.

If you ever visit the UK, please don't try and bypass the pay turnstiles at public toilets (which typically cost 20-50p to use). It is not okay to try and push or sneak past! I don't know if there would be any legal ramifications, but you could certainly be apprehended by a security guard for trying this.

Most shopping centres and department stores have free to use facilities but other than that you will usually pay for public loos. If using those in a café you are expected to buy something and they will usually have signs indicating they are for customers only (although in somewhere like a McDonalds you can usually get away with it). Elsewhere in Europe such as Germany you will often see the ladies outside collecting money rather than turnstiles- even in McDonalds and even for customers!

It's nice to know that in the USA they are usually free, but please don't assume the rest of the world is the same.

Feel fortunate that it wasn't just a hole in the floor that you had to try and hit. Or possibly have them hand you a small amount of tissue and a bucket of water to flush the stool with. In some of the high class places they have women that will dump the bucket of water so you don't have to. Feel fortunate that you live in a country that the infrastructure is way above what some countries have to offer.

Agree. Some "travel challenged" people offering inane comments.

Note that in the US today you find many signs stating that restrooms are for customers only...

In most of these countries the money goes to the attendants and is their only income.

If you don't like it, please say home, inside and away from the public. The US has enough international embarrassment coming out of the White House.