Texting onboard Celebrity Cruise

the2cruisingwebers

We have always bought a unlimited texting package from Verizon to use while onboard our cruise ship. It helps with meet up times etc. when traveling with friends. When I called this week for our cruise next week, Verizon tells me that Celebrity Cruise line no longer supports other carriers texting. I called Celebrity and they told me they don't offer texting packages. When I Googled it, I see Royal has a Message App. but no mention of Celebrity.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

We have used iMessage over WiFi without any problems on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships. Of course this only works for to/from people with iPhones.

To communicate via text message to other phone types, we use Google Voice. It works great over WiFi on the ship to send/receive texts and voice messages while cruising.

— Don

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We upgraded to Go Best, so unlimited Wi-Fi. All 8 of us in December. Easy to use Google Hangouts for messaging, Facebook Messaging, imessage, or text over Wi-Fi if your phone/carrier allows. For us, all the young adults were good, but my parents didn't use any of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is off track but ...my Verizon phone was useless on Celebrity because I had installed a MacAfee anti-virus app. I didn't know it also had anti-theft ware included. As soon as I stepped on the ship. MacAfee locked my phone. There was nothing I could do to unlock it. If you have anti-theft app on your phone, that isn't from Verizon, make sure you uninstall it before you go.

• 1 year later...

Messaging is available on the Celebrity app (only shows up when on board and connected to ship wifi) but it is very limited to just a few ships.  More are being added after the Revolution.  Millennium just got added this week before their first cruise on Feb 9 after their remodel.

On 1/12/2018 at 1:30 PM, dcyonce said:

We have used iMessage over WiFi without any problems on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships. Of course this only works for to/from people with iPhones.

To communicate via text message to other phone types, we use Google Voice. It works great over WiFi on the ship to send/receive texts and voice messages while cruising.

— Don

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were able to text with other iPhone users at home , without an internet pkg on Anthem. Does it work on the Reflection?

On my last cruise one of our party didn't have an Iphone so she used Facebook messenger or WhatsApp to communicate. It does require being connected to Wifi. I don't see how you would be able to text without being connected to the wifi plan though unless your ship offers a specific texting plan that doesn't include any other wifi access. If you somehow are able to connect over the ship's cellular then you will be hit with insane charges.

Supposedly with the Celebrity app, you can connect to the ship WiFi and use the app to view menus and event time including messaging WITHOUT buying the WiFi internet package. This will give you a free alternative than buying internet packages for everyone if you just want to message fellow passengers. 

33 minutes ago, pleezto24 said:

Supposedly with the Celebrity app, you can connect to the ship WiFi and use the app to view menus and event time including messaging WITHOUT buying the WiFi internet package. This will give you a free alternative than buying internet packages for everyone if you just want to message fellow passengers. 

Yes. On some ships, the app works with the shipboard WiFi network without having to pay. 

Edited by mfs2k

• 3 months later...

A month ago I was in Celebrity Reflection,  I downloaded the app before hand, I was told that the app was only for reservations for dinner and activities,  Not for Texting.  They wanted me to pay high costs for internet package. 

Last time I was on NCL and they offered a txt package for $7.99 for a week.

Just off the Summit and used the Celebrity message App for texting when on the ship. We had to see the tech person onboard to clear up a few things and "allow" each of us to communicate using the App. Only problem, it doesn't "bing" so you have to keep checking your iphone for any messages, and a few times it took about 10-15 minutes for the text to go through.

Darcy

Just off Edge TA last week. Six of us were able to use the Celebrity App (via ship WiFi) to message one another, but it was a bit unwieldy. We had to "connect" with one another individually by sending invitations to one another, Once all of us had accepted one another's invitations, we could send messages. However, there was only a limited notification function, so one had to check one's phone frequently (and open the app) to look for message notification. Also, partway through our 15 day cruise, we lost connection with two of our friends & had to go through the process again. In short, it's better than nothing, and it's free. Celebrity has made a good start, but an audible message notification would be a helpful addition. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Celebrity has made a good start, but an audible message notification would be a helpful addition. 

The HAL app works the same way -- you have to check the app to see if you have a message, so it's not all that helpful if you don't want to be looking at your phone all day (which I certainly don't on a cruise).   While an audible notification would work, imagine hearing beeps all around you on a ship.   Maybe a vibrate...:classic_smile:

16 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The HAL app works the same way -- you have to check the app to see if you have a message, so it's not all that helpful if you don't want to be looking at your phone all day (which I certainly don't on a cruise).   While an audible notification would work, imagine hearing beeps all around you on a ship.   Maybe a vibrate...:classic_smile:

Very good point🙂 Only one problem. Most women don’t have useful pockets, so we must carry our phones in small cross body bags or tote bags (and I refuse to carry mine in my hand 24/7 lol). Most of us won’t notice our phones vibrating. Ah well, they’ll figure something out eventually. Even in the current state, the app is useful for the most common scenario, in which people have agreed on a time and place to meet, and someone wants to let the others know he’ll be late. Once it’s 5 or 10 minutes past time, the others would check for messages.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when there was no technology aboard ships and if you wanted to know why someone was late you called their cabin?  Or if you wanted to communicate you left a voicemail message or a sticky note on their door.  When I was working and knew that as long as I was on the ship I was out of reach and not expected to check in and do my email every day in case there were problems I had to try to solve from thousands of miles away?

I am not picking on people - I myself am now so used to being connected that I go nuts when I don't purchase unlimited internet.  But I'll tell you one thing - cruises were ALOT more relaxing back then.  

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But I'll tell you one thing - cruises were ALOT more relaxing back then.

Funny - my wife and I have said the same thing. Being out of touch is a good escape for a period of time. We have prepaid cell plans (no foreign service) and I don't even use the Elite minutes on WiFi. If something is critical, people know that it costs a lot to contact us. We like it that way. And most things that could happen are not very time sensitive or we can't impact them. But each person has a different situation -- if I had a sick family member, or younger kids, etc - then communication might be helpful.

54 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Does anyone remember the good ole days when there was no technology aboard ships and if you wanted to know why someone was late you called their cabin?  Or if you wanted to communicate you left a voicemail message or a sticky note on their door.  When I was working and knew that as long as I was on the ship I was out of reach and not expected to check in and do my email every day in case there were problems I had to try to solve from thousands of miles away?

I am not picking on people - I myself am now so used to being connected that I go nuts when I don't purchase unlimited internet.  But I'll tell you one thing - cruises were ALOT more relaxing back then.  

I also remember back in "the good 'ol days" that many had those awful Walkitalki's quaking and loud talking. Personally didn't find it that more relaxing.  

Now we get the pool workers with their extremely loud walkie talkie's, for a couple of dollars their boss should buy them ear buds for their radios. That was on Celebrity Reflection. That's the reason I'm all for texting.

Edited by hamops!
  • Like 1