Happy Hour

Host CJSKIDS

We are surprised to hear that Princess has ended the Happy Hour. We are moderator drinkers - so a Beverage Package does not make sense. If Happy Hour disappears, we will return to sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean where we are treated well. Too bad - our first cruise was in the Caribbean on Princess. Then in 2016 we enjoyed our our 28 day Princess cruise in the South Pacific, a 2017 summer cruise through Norway and we will be on a 25 day Princess cruise In April. Last one.

I guess they need those extra dollars. It is their right to change the rules. It is my right to be very annoyed.

Mary - frequent cruiser

We are surprised to hear that Princess has ended the Happy Hour. We are moderator drinkers - so a Beverage Package does not make sense. If Happy Hour disappears, we will return to sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean where we are treated well. Too bad - our first cruise was in the Caribbean on Princess. Then in 2016 we enjoyed our our 28 day Princess cruise in the South Pacific, a 2017 summer cruise through Norway and we will be on a 25 day Princess cruise In April. Last one.

I guess they need those extra dollars. It is their right to change the rules. It is my right to be very annoyed.

Mary - frequent cruiser

Are drinks that much less expensive on Celebrity or Rci? Or they have a bogo that makes them superior overall?

Booooo! Then we will only buy half as many drinks as originally planned if they want to play that game. And trust me, we have no problem sticking to our plan. Bummers. And for the same $1,800 cruise on the Regal, we could have spent that on the Celebrity and had an all inclusive beverage package for the same price, Same Sailing dates in April. X had priced their cruise at $2,500 last year and has dropped prices due to weak bookings for the hurricane damaged islands.

Are drinks that much less expensive on Celebrity or Rci? Or they have a bogo that makes them superior overall?

Drinks are way pricier on Royal Caribbean and on X. $15 per martini after adding on a tip. $13 slushes by the pool. $5 coffees, $3:50 per bottle of 16 oz water.

On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, the Elite / Diamond cruisers are invited to lovely cocktail hours every evening.

I am particularly annoyed that I will be on the Regal Princess for 25 days under this new policy. I would have preferred to know that Happy Hour was being phased out BEFORE I booked this long cruise.

No fear, we will enjoy the cruise :):):-)

Mary

(Cruise Critic is the best way to let Princess know how you feel. They DO READ these posts.)

Just received this same message, it's much like the "our customers like the convenience of less product in the same size box at the same price...makes package lighter and easier to carry too" that retail manufacturers send out when they downsize.

One retailer told me after they reduced the size of their yogurt container from 8 oz to 6 oz that they did it to be competitive with other brands that also had reduced their size containers. Yes, customers must have really demanded to get less for the same price.

Or the airlines that introduced luggage charges to be competitive with other airlines that already had those charges.

This is about $$. We have cruised Princess since 1998. Have seen lots of changes. I think the BOGO was started to improve drink sales. It was very successful so successful it was hurting the sales for the drink package. My DH & I are mostly beer & wine drinkers, but we did enjoy going to the BOGO and would enjoy other cocktails. We will now be back to beer & wine only. Princess wants to make a profit but if they keep making loyal customers mad about all the small things (small things matter) they may push away more customers than they will gain. We like Princess we are elite but at some point we will have to decide where we are getting the most bang for our buck.

In the pass we thought Princess was that cruise line. In the last couple of years with the cut backs in so many small things not sure that is still true. Like I said small things matter.

Edited by ksm77

This is about $$. We have cruised Princess since 1998. Have seen lots of changes. I think the BOGO was started to improve drink sales. It was very successful so successful it was hurting the sales for the drink package. My DH & I are mostly beer & wine drinkers, but we did enjoy going to the BOGO and would enjoy other cocktails. We will now be back to beer & wine only. Princess wants to make a profit but if they keep making loyal customers mad about all the small things (small things matter) they may push away more customers than they will gain. We like Princess we are elite but at some point we will have to decide where we are getting the most bang for our buck.

In the pass we thought Princess was that cruise line. In the last couple of years with the cut backs in so many small things not sure that is still true. Like I said small things matter.

If I was in charge of Princess, I would keep cutting back on the small things until I saw an adverse effect on bookings. I would reconsider if I saw it was becoming difficult to fill the ships, especially if my competitors were sailing full. As long as Princess is getting away with the cuts I think more of the same will continue.

Just off the Royal and all they had was buy one and get one for $1. They changed location and times around during the cruise, sometimes, club 6, sometimes crooners, aft bar, and so on and so on.

Just off the Royal and all they had was buy one and get one for $1. They changed location and times around during the cruise, sometimes, club 6, sometimes crooners, aft bar, and so on and so on.

Thanks! That works for me. Back aboard Royal in April.

I just reached out to CRLess who is onboard the Royal to see if they have it this week.

A poster on this thread said it disappeared towards the end of the last Royal sailing.

And since Princess has formally said its being phased out in email responses, it’s unfortunately not just a rumor.

From the Live on Diamond Princess Thread “THERE IS NO HAPPY HOUR ADVERTISED IN THE PATTER. Sorry about that, but no BOGO was in yesterday’s or today’s patter. I will keep on the lookout.”

I sent an email to the customer relations office and today received the following reply:

The Customer Relations Department is in receipt ofyour email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate the opportunityto respond.

As our onboard events and offerings are alwayschanging, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased outacross the fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for yourenjoyment.

Mr and Mrs xxxxxxxx, again, thank you for contacting ouroffice. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the nearfuture. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations

I wonder what the "programs and promotions for your enjoyment" will entail. How long will it take to develop these new programs and promotions? Maybe until we forget what it was like to have a Happy Hour or a BOGO / $1 ?

That's a way to limit the number of BOGO$1, keep moving it around so people can't find it.