Happy Hour

Host CJSKIDS

Well the HH we went to, people were buying 6 beers and taking 12 back to their cabin. They weren't staying the full HH. They did this everyday we were there. They requested that none of the bottles be opened. Hate to eat and run.....:evilsmile:

If they didn't impose a drink limit during happy hour then those people did nothing wrong. Anyway that's not why Princess stopped the happy hour and we all know that.

If they didn't impose a drink limit during happy hour then those people did nothing wrong. Anyway that's not why Princess stopped the happy hour and we all know that.

I'm sure they thought the sales would continue as they did before. LOL :D:D

I know we will be bringing on more booze since the elimination of happy hour. Also servers will be losing tips. Not only the 15% but we usually gave the servers a couple bucks cash too.

Our last two cruises have had the Sip and Sail. In October they still had the BOGO and Wheelhouse was swamped each time. You couldn't even hear the entertainer - who was very good. I think the main problem was that they took a bunch of space in that venue for Salty Dog - which was normally deserted. Our last cruise was only 14 days and we had the promo as well. Wheelhouse was deserted. Huge difference for sure. I helped make up the tips though. We had a bunch of OBC and I seem to have gone through about $100 in $1 bills given to bartenders and servers as tips. :eek:

I do the same thing bring $100 in 1 dollar bills

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bring $20 bills as they are much easier to carry. I just exchange them one or two at a time at passenger services. As for waiting for service, we listened to the music in Wheelhouse a lot and it was mostly deserted as there was no BOGO and, on CB, it's in kind of a weird spot next to Sabatini's with a small entrance that's easily overlooked. I drank a fair amount of Talisker straight up and the bartenders were happy to pour doubles. Sometimes the "doubles" were pretty generous in nature. I don't think that had to do with tipping though one never knows.

We received the same "blow off" response as others from Princess Customer Relations to our email complaining about loss of BOGO +1$.

"The Customer Relations Department is in receipt of your email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Many guest share their feedback with us, your comments and suggestions will be passed on to our Food and Beverage Department.

As our onboard events and offerings are always changing, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased out across the fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for your enjoyment.

*********, again, thank you for contacting our office. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Emerald Princess for what we hope will be a completely enjoyable cruise vacation. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations"

I have said this before, but I really believe Princess is going to cost themselves money with the escalation of drink prices and the removal of BOGO.

People will cheat more (two sharing a Drink Package, smuggling alcohol on), We will not do this, but Princess has made this option more attractive for some people.

More importantly for Princess, people will just drink less. We often went to BOGOs and would have a couple drinks each time. It was a nice time to meet up with friends (both old and new). Now that we feel like Princess is being overly greedy, we will certainly drink much less.

I would think Princess would pay very little for their alcohol (duty free, and bulk buying). Say a drink costs them $2. (Just guessing, but I cannot be that far off.) If they sold 8 drinks for $10 (4 of those are BOGO), that is $28 in profit. Or without BOGO, they would sell 2 drinks, and make around $16. In our case they will probably sell no drinks. The bars were already very quiet. They were only really busy during BOGO times. They have cancelled a pleasant social time that must have made them money.

As a passenger I am not happy, and as a shareholder, I am not happy. Princess is banking on people just accepting the increase and carrying on. I am not sure that this will happen.

Try tipping with $100’s if BOGO $1 comes back. They will be expensive drinks but you will get very fast service.

When I was younger, I was head of security for a number of bars. If you were tipping like that, the service most definitely would improve. The staff always remembered the big tippers, and the entire bar went out of its way to make sure the tipping customer's night was amazing. The customer would jump front door lines (in Vancouver that could be a couple hours at a hot bar on a busy night), get drinks comped by the bar, have their alcohol upgraded, their pours were very generous, and they were always the first to be served by waitresses and bartenders. They did not need to tip $ 100 every drink, but often it was a couple hundred over the course of the night. Money well spent if you wanted to have a good time.

I have said this before, but I really believe Princess is going to cost themselves money with the escalation of drink prices and the removal of BOGO.

People will cheat more (two sharing a Drink Package, smuggling alcohol on), We will not do this, but Princess has made this option more attractive for some people.

More importantly for Princess, people will just drink less. We often went to BOGOs and would have a couple drinks each time. It was a nice time to meet up with friends (both old and new). Now that we feel like Princess is being overly greedy, we will certainly drink much less.

I would think Princess would pay very little for their alcohol (duty free, and bulk buying). Say a drink costs them $2. (Just guessing, but I cannot be that far off.) If they sold 8 drinks for $10 (4 of those are BOGO), that is $28 in profit. Or without BOGO, they would sell 2 drinks, and make around $16. In our case they will probably sell no drinks. The bars were already very quiet. They were only really busy during BOGO times. They have cancelled a pleasant social time that must have made them money.

As a passenger I am not happy, and as a shareholder, I am not happy. Princess is banking on people just accepting the increase and carrying on. I am not sure that this will happen.

I’m in the wholesale liquor business. Drinks cost Princess less than $1. They buy huge quantities and get deep discounts. Believe me they are still making a ton on BOGO. Even the second drink for a buck is covering their cost.

We received the same "blow off" response as others from Princess Customer Relations to our email complaining about loss of BOGO +1$.

"The Customer Relations Department is in receipt of your email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Many guest share their feedback with us, your comments and suggestions will be passed on to our Food and Beverage Department.

As our onboard events and offerings are always changing, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased out across the fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for your enjoyment.

*********, again, thank you for contacting our office. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Emerald Princess for what we hope will be a completely enjoyable cruise vacation. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations"

I also got the same response from my Tweet to Princess Line. I like the way the say phase out for a new program but I haven't herd anyone come back with these new Promotions. What promotions are they talking about ?

I’m in the wholesale liquor business. Drinks cost Princess less than $1. They buy huge quantities and get deep discounts. Believe me they are still making a ton on BOGO. Even the second drink for a buck is covering their cost.

Interesting. I suspected this might be the case, but I did not want to overstate my argument. What you are saying just strengthens my belief that the elimination of BOGO is a mistake. Redoing the numbers means that Princess will be losing even more than I thought.

Thanks for the information.

Are they keeping the reduced price special drinks in the Elite/Platinum lounge happy hour?

$6.50 per drink now, and they have new drinks, which taste awful, and you can only order from the new list of 8 drinks at that $6.50 price. All the old stand-bys are gone, like Chairman of the Board, et cet.

$6.50 per drink now, and they have new drinks, which taste awful, and you can only order from the new list of 8 drinks at that $6.50 price. All the old stand-bys are gone, like Chairman of the Board, et cet.

Perhaps Princess are endeavouring to shut down the PES lounge by making drinks, prices and snacks unattractive. Not a lot of incentive to visit there now. I was rather fond of the Chairman of the Board' Mojhito etc.:evilsmile: But am generally a cider drinker, e.g. Strongbow/Magners, so same prices apply throughout the ship for those.

Does anybody have the 'new list of $6.50 PES lounge drinks?

Perhaps Princess are endeavouring to shut down the PES lounge by making drinks, prices and snacks unattractive. Not a lot of incentive to visit there now. I was rather fond of the Chairman of the Board' Mojhito etc.:evilsmile: But am generally a cider drinker, e.g. Strongbow/Magners, so same prices apply throughout the ship for those.

I do. I posted pics of the menu in a mini review earlier last week.

Let me see if I can find it and attach a link.

13c272fda9413fec71b9656940a2d6ff.jpg

Here you are.