Baskets of Bread

As others have mentioned, it appears the MDR now equips each table with a basket of bread/rolls, featuring a variety of options. I think I preferred selecting from a tray, mostly because the waste concerns me. Perhaps there was equivalent waste in presenting me with a tray to choose from? We, like others, have our favorites, which we picked out each night. Anyone know what happens to the options NOT selected? Do they get toasted into croutons? Thrown away? Added to the crew buffet? Tossed to the fishes? The practice doesn't bother me, I just worry about the waste. Thanks!

If you are worried about waste, you should have seen all of the food thrown away after breakfast was over in the Windjammer. We were eating at the counter/bar area facing the buffet area when breakfast was closing down a couple of days ago on the Independence of the Seas. We wondered what they were going to do with the massive amounts of foods still on the trays. Within minutes we saw them dump ALL of the food into the trash!!! I am sure they are following safe food handling regulations to prevent foodborne illness just like restaurants do. .

left over rolls from the first 4 days fuel the ship for the last 3 days. You should see those guys loading pumpernickle into the boilers. Every once in a while on day 6 you may find sesame seeds on your balcony if the wind is blowing just right.

rof,lmao

:'):'):')

As others have mentioned, it appears the MDR now equips each table with a basket of bread/rolls, featuring a variety of options. I think I preferred selecting from a tray, mostly because the waste concerns me. Perhaps there was equivalent waste in presenting me with a tray to choose from? We, like others, have our favorites, which we picked out each night. Anyone know what happens to the options NOT selected? Do they get toasted into croutons? Thrown away? Added to the crew buffet? Tossed to the fishes? The practice doesn't bother me, I just worry about the waste. Thanks!

If you are worried about food waste, than why are you on a ship? Food is wasted every day in every restaurant around the world. Two points, it is kind of demeaning to feed leftover's to the crew buffet. They get their food (and waste) and passengers get theirs. It is also not a good idea to be throwing food overboard to feed the fish. It's not natural food for the sea creatures. Yummy, buttered bread!

Personally, I don't bother with bread on a cruise.

But, with the new process you have to make that clear to the waiter so they will skip bringing the bread basket to the table and hopefully cut down on the waste.

It's actually true that some of the waste is incinerated. So not as far from the truth as you might think.

For more question about what the crew eats, find the thread started by a crew member on Indy....

When did they stop passing rolls and putting them on the table? I was on Oasis in November and Explorer in September and they still passed rolls on both of those cruises.

It's not a fleetwide thing, we have recently seen the assistant waiter serving the rolls.

Our Oasis cruise 2/18 had the baskets on the table.

It seems Royal has come full circle. Our first cruise in 1999 on Splendor had baskets of rolls on each table😀

Sherri:)

Clearly you have never waited tables. Baskets are much easier on the staff and the “waist is minimal, flour, water, yeast

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the food waste is all ground up and treated thru the grey water system on the ship and once out far enough from the port they can discharge it. At least this is what we were told at one of the galley tours we did a while back.

We had the bread baskets on the Jewel. We would prefer the other way because we have our favorites. When we asked for more sourdough rolls, the assistant waiter did not know what we were talking about (he had literally come on the ship for the first time between main and late seating and had no clue...). When we asked the waiter, after not getting them, he came back with another basket of bread, slammed it on the table, said BREAD, and walked away. [emoji23][emoji23] He apparently was not happy getting a brand new and clueless assistant. Luckily, both were gone in a couple days and we got a great pair of waiters after that for the rest of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I´ve seen both on and off over the years. Sometimes it´s the basket on the table and sometimes they go around and serve the bread. I don´t care much either way, as I´ve never had a problem getting what I wanted.

As for wastage and food safety - nothing that has left the galley will get back in there. All food going out and not comsumed will be wasted. Same goes for bread going on a table. The basket will not be topped up for the next guests. Leftovers in the basket will be wasted and the next guests get a new basket.

I appreciate the concern about wastage, but it´s a reality that everytime you go out for dining, be it on a ship or at land, there will be wastage. It´s a fact of life.

Cruise ships actually have quite low wastage of food. They will never be down to zero, but they are working hard to minimize. Don´t forget for the company every bit of waste is like throwing out money and even worse they have to pay on top of this to get rid of the waste.

Food waste concerns me but on a cruise ship it is inevitable.

Whatever is served and not consumed becomes waste. That includes bread rolls left in a basket on your table. In fact, you would not want to serve stale bread to guests or staff so any surplus should be regarded as waste.

It is a problem in hotels, restaurants and even supermarkets not just cruise ships. Reasonable steps taken by cruise lines to reduce waste is welcome but I fear adverse consequences, like reduction in choice and availability. So my thoughts are that while I am holiday, let it be. Not something I will trouble myself with except that I will not over-indulge by over-ordering or putting too much on my plate in the buffet. That is to manage my own conscience rather than make any difference.

My wife works in a bakery so not only am I familiar with levels of waste but as someone else has pointed out, compared to other food items, it is one to worry about the least as it is simply flour, water, yeast and air. It is all relative so worrying about a few bread rolls going in the bin may be the wrong thing to focus on.

It's actually true that some of the waste is incinerated. So not as far from the truth as you might think.

For more question about what the crew eats, find the thread started by a crew member on Indy....

I was wondering where that thread went. Seems like it disappeared. Can’t find it now.

We have been on the Anthem twice and it was baskets of bread on the table each time. We however asked our waiter for the cheesy bead each night as that is my DH’s favorite. Every night after that, a basket of cheesy bread. If you ask, they will work hard to accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums