Need your help to pick an itinerary

mykeb14

If given the choice would you choose western or eastern Caribbean? we have never been on anything other then 4 day Mexico cruises out of Long Beach and would like to try a new cruise this year.

Below is the different ports.

Thanks for your help

IMG_0335.thumb.jpg.186208cc454e1eed5219c651237b24d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not as easy to just say "pick this one." :) Some things to consider.

One cruise has three stops, the other four, so if you like sea days, maybe the 3 port option.

Belize is a tender port, and its about a 20 minute ride to the actual port area. If you want to take any type of excursion to the ruins, etc., it will be another 3 hours at least bus ride there and back. So that's a lot of vacay time wasted. But if you've never been....

When are you cruising? Cayman is a tender port also, sometimes that stop will get cancelled if the weather is bad.

The 4 stop cruise - you will be docked at all the ports, so no issues there and saves time just being able to walk off. With these ports, you also have all you need right at the ports, if you didn't want to take an excursion. Beaches, restaurants, shopping...all right there within walking distance.

Both are out of Miami, love that area. Make sure you check air into Ft. Lauderdale also; its only a $15 shared shuttle ride over to Miami (approximately 35 minute ride.) Southwest has the two free bags, so even factoring in the shuttle cost, it may be cheaper to fly into FLL.

Only you can decide what's important. :)

Just to piggy back off of Cruisintigger's response..... Remember both St Thomas and San Juan were devastated by the Hurricanes last year.... so while the port areas and most of the local shops will likely be restored...the beauty of the islands have suffered.....This would more impact your excursion choices

We were just on the Glory two weeks ago, sailing the eastern route that stopped in San Juan and St. Thomas (as well as HMC and Grand Turk). Save for a few buildings near the ports that were without roofs on SJ and ST, what we saw of both islands seemed like they were in good shape after the hurricane. We didn't do shore excursions as we took this cruise to just relax, but those on our cruise that we talked to seemed to enjoy themselves on their excursions, and we didn't hear anyone who did take an excursion complaining about the state of each island. From what we saw and heard from others' experiences, the devastation those islands have experienced seems to be lessening. On the local news here in FL last week, they mentioned that power should be restored to all of Puerto Rico by the end of this month.

If I had to pick eastern vs. western, I typically choose eastern since we enjoy those islands more. Good luck deciding!

I love St Thomas and San Juan. I fly into FLL too and it is a huge savings.

We chose the Everglades post excursion when we disembarked in Miami and that was a favorite. We've done it multiple times now.

Enjoy!

What ship is the first one? Have you been to any of the islands before? I've cruised a few now and try to go on trips I haven't been or ships with the best amenities. If you haven't been to any of those islands tho I'd say Grand Cayman and Cozumel trip. I love the people and things to do (I recommend looking for the jet ski to stingray island it was the best) at GC, and the all inclusive resorts of Cozumel (I recommend Mr Sanchos).

What ship is the first one? Have you been to any of the islands before? I've cruised a few now and try to go on trips I haven't been or ships with the best amenities. If you haven't been to any of those islands tho I'd say Grand Cayman and Cozumel trip. I love the people and things to do (I recommend looking for the jet ski to stingray island it was the best) at GC, and the all inclusive resorts of Cozumel (I recommend Mr Sanchos).

Both are the magic. I have only cruised on the fantasy class ships and want to try a bigger one and this would also be in October and I know it’s risky that time of year but the price is helpful lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not as easy to just say "pick this one." :) Some things to consider.

One cruise has three stops, the other four, so if you like sea days, maybe the 3 port option.

Belize is a tender port, and its about a 20 minute ride to the actual port area. If you want to take any type of excursion to the ruins, etc., it will be another 3 hours at least bus ride there and back. So that's a lot of vacay time wasted. But if you've never been....

When are you cruising? Cayman is a tender port also, sometimes that stop will get cancelled if the weather is bad.

The 4 stop cruise - you will be docked at all the ports, so no issues there and saves time just being able to walk off. With these ports, you also have all you need right at the ports, if you didn't want to take an excursion. Beaches, restaurants, shopping...all right there within walking distance.

Both are out of Miami, love that area. Make sure you check air into Ft. Lauderdale also; its only a $15 shared shuttle ride over to Miami (approximately 35 minute ride.) Southwest has the two free bags, so even factoring in the shuttle cost, it may be cheaper to fly into FLL.

Only you can decide what's important. :)

Am I reading incorrectly? They both look like 4 port cruises to me.

Both east and west are excellent and your enjoyment would largely depend on what you wish to do. If you just like doing beaches, eastern is probably better. Western has nice beaches but not the same. I personally like the western itinerary. I'd do Rio Secreto in Cozumel, Cave Tubing in Belize, Little French Key in Roatan, and a nice beach day or snorkeling in Grand Cayman. If you aren't that adventurous, then you may prefer the eastern itinerary.

Here's one thought. The Eastern itinerary is only going to be available from east coast FLA homeports. Perhaps you could save the Western and do a cruise out of Galveston sometime.

I love all the ports you show. Hurricane damage won't be much of an issue so don't worry about that.

My personal preference is for eastern (or southern) itineraries. I much prefer the beaches and islands of the eastern over the Mexican and Central American ports. We are heading to the western in a month. I’ll let you know if this trip will change my mind at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About Belize, although it is a tender port, there is still plenty of time in port to explore. We did a cave tubing excursion once (private is much better and less expensive than ship sponsored.)

We also did a self guided tour to Caye Caulker from the water taxi next door to the port. It cost next to nothing and was a highlight of the cruise.

At Grand Cayman we have fed the stingrays and seen turtles, been to Hell, etc. Once we just walked the beach and visited shops. Lots to do there.

If your looking for a lively bar atmosphere in port for a bit

St. Thomas Senior Frogs and Grand Turk Margaritaville right by Port.

Cozumel Senior Frogs and Margaritaville close to port. Never been to Mr, Sanchos, but many people talk about it.

They all have shopping /jewelry stores etc. close to port.

Grand Cayman is a great dive port.

I've been to all of these ports except Amber Cove. I enjoyed them all. I think what I boils down to is, what do you want to do while in port? The first itinerary you have listed is better if you are a beach person. The second, though, would give you options to visit amazing Mayan ruins. Unless you are a "stay on the ship" kind of person that doesn't like doing excursions and really experiencing the ports, I would advise you to research all of the ports and figure out what excursions appeal to you most. And then book based on that. The Magic is a fantastic ship, so you can't go wrong there.

Good luck! I'm actually doing the opposite of you: booked a 4-day out of Long Beach for later this year because we wanted to try something different than the Caribbean. :-)