O's Reading Room coming to all sailings

albingirl

2009 - Australian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism: Use of celebrities in tourism:

...Given that the use of celebrities in advertising campaigns often incurs high costs, advertisers expect that these qualitative benefits may be turned into positive economic impacts (Agrawal & Kamakura, 1995).

Although the benefits identified above generally relate to product awareness, they are an important prerequisite for the final purchase decision. In order for these advantages to be realised, the characteristics or attributes assigned to the product or brand must match the celebrity's characteristics or personality.

If the endorser does not complement the product, brand or advertising theme, the campaign is unlikely to be successful (Misra & Beatty, 1990). Thus, the selection of the 'right' celebrity is a crucial component for the effectiveness of celebrity endorsement. It can be argued that the Paul Hogan campaign in the 1980s was so successful because the image of Australia and Australians that was portrayed coincided with the perceptions that potential visitors held of Australia (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 2001). This example shows that the choice of celebrity is critical.

They need to be able to encourage the perceived connection with the public to attract the potential tourist's attention. At the same time, they must also represent the destination image.

Further, it has been recognised that a destination is more likely to be chosen if the destination image matches the tourists' self-image (Beerli, Meneses, & Gil, 2007). Consequently, celebrity endorsement in tourism advertising requires a threefold match between destination image, celebrity image and the tourist's self-image.

If this is not achieved, a dissonance between the tree elements may occur that hinders the effectiveness of celebrity endorsement....."

For people who like book clubs & meet to discuss a book with like minded people it's a great place, something to spent the time on those long sea days. Like others have said you can always not participate. There are lots of things on board that is a daily activity which I don't take part in, same with the "O" thing. I'll just enjoy the other things to do on board, same as we've done on all our other cruises.

Allan

For people who like book clubs & meet to discuss a book with like minded people it's a great place, something to spent the time on those long sea days. Like others have said you can always not participate. There are lots of things on board that is a daily activity which I don't take part in, same with the "O" thing. I'll just enjoy the other things to do on board, same as we've done on all our other cruises.

Allan

(y)(y) Exactly.

You know that you can always download the book for free if you are a member of a public library and have the overdrive app. Personally I like the idea of a book club and whether you like Oprah or not her book suggestions are usually excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great point.

Really, the O Book Club is not much different than a CC Meet N Greet. Just a group of people getting together once during a cruise to discuss something that they have in common. With a CC M&G, it's CC. With O Book Club, it's a book that they have read and want to discuss. The O Book Club will most likely simply be a Pop-up event that will take place in an unused room on the ship.

The amount of vitriol that has been displayed on these threads over the past several weeks over such an insignificant event that will have virtually no to little impact on those who do not wish to participate has been amazing.

Perhaps we could all dance up and down the stairs like Ellen ;)

Personally I wouldn't go on a cruise that had celebrities on it. I pay my money to enjoy a cruise - not to bolster the earnings of already wealthy so-called stars. Oprah probably gets a kick back from having her reading room on the ships which will annoy me. We are cruising in June/July - I must remember to check up on how many use the reading room.

On the Koningsdam in January, it consisted of 5 to 6 persons plus the Cruise Director both times they held a session on the 21 day cruise. Much ado about nothing. :rolleyes: I think that, at the same time, more folks were actually in the spa having a pedicure. :-)

Great point.

Really, the O Book Club is not much different than a CC Meet N Greet. Just a group of people getting together once during a cruise to discuss something that they have in common. With a CC M&G, it's CC. With O Book Club, it's a book that they have read and want to discuss. The O Book Club will most likely simply be a Pop-up event that will take place in an unused room on theThe amount of vitriol that has been displayed on these threads over the past several weeks over such an insignificant event that will have virtually no to little impact on those who do not wish to participate has been amazing.

The library near me closed about 5or 6 years ago. Money savings.. .

Each time you post we should go to the libarary, I think to post some cities and towns have closed libraries but I have resisted doing that until now. I guess I read that direction one too many times. One must live in a particular city or town to get a libar y card there. If the neighb oring city of town chose to save the money, and closed their library too bad! It's all about tax money, I imagine.

Edited by sail7seas

Does anyone else find what HAL is doing as ironic. Eliminating the library, because their customers bring "e-readers" yet starting a book club and selling "O"'s books!!!! Next they will be holding the "book club" meetings in the old Hal library!

You know that you can always download the book for free if you are a member of a public library and have the overdrive app. Personally I like the idea of a book club and whether you like Oprah or not her book suggestions are usually excellent.

I like the book club idea too. But what I would really like is if each sailing, whether Caribbean, Canadian, European etc. had a predetermined book that related to the sailing. The book club book title could go out with your booking confirmation. That way you would have plenty of time to gather the book before your sailing and start reading it. I think it would be fun way to enhance the sailing experience.

As it is now, I generally try to read books that are related to any travel I take with it is land or sea based.

Maybe I should start a thread entitled "what book, what location?"

Each time you post we should go to the libarary, I think to post some cities and towns have closed libraries but I have resisted doing that until now. I guess I read that direction one too many times. One must live in a particular city or town to get a libar y card there. If the neighb oring city of town chose to save the money, and closed their library too bad! It's all about tax money, I imagine.

Where I live, neighboring towns have reciprocal library privileges. Have you checked to see if any towns near you will allow you to use their library? I realize your town doesn't have a library to take part in such a system, but there might be something available in a town near you.

I do use my library--we're lucky to have a very good one, with lots of programs (including a book club) in addition to just having books (and CDs, DVDs, playaways, etc) to borrow. They also provide access to ebooks and recorded books, downloadable online.

I love that I can borrow an e-book without going outside on a cold or snowy day.

For those who's local libraries have closed, you can look into an interlibrary lending program. Our entire state of Indiana has one. I believe for $69 you can purchase an annual PLAQ card which allows you to borrow from any of our connected libraries. Of course, this works best for ebooks. But at least its an option.

I like the book club idea too. But what I would really like is if each sailing, whether Caribbean, Canadian, European etc. had a predetermined book that related to the sailing. The book club book title could go out with your booking confirmation. That way you would have plenty of time to gather the book before your sailing and start reading it. I think it would be fun way to enhance the sailing experience.

As it is now, I generally try to read books that are related to any travel I take with it is land or sea based.

Maybe I should start a thread entitled "what book, what location?"

Great idea. :)

I also like to read books (fiction and non-fiction) related to the places where I'm traveling. Voyages to Antiquity usually provides a selection of books that are related to one's destinations, as do two other land-based travel groups that I use. Even when I'm not going on one of their trips, I often look through their suggestions for ideas.

But usually, these are just for info/background. No discussion of them on the actual trip....

It’s so sad to hear of public libraries closing. We are blessed in British Columbia with a vibrant public library system.

Where I live, neighboring towns have reciprocal library privileges. Have you checked to see if any towns near you will allow you to use their library? I realize your town doesn't have a library to take part in such a system, but there might be something available in a town near you.

I do use my library--we're lucky to have a very good one, with lots of programs (including a book club) in addition to just having books (and CDs, DVDs, playaways, etc) to borrow. They also provide access to ebooks and recorded books, downloadable online.

I love that I can borrow an e-book without going outside on a cold or snowy day.

Given the extremely cold and incredibly awful snowey winter we have endured, I drive as very little as possible. If I do not Have to drive on a given day , I do not.

I buy lots of books.

Every city, town and state pick s and choose on what to spend the revenue and perhaps because e we have so many colleges and universitites, the politicians we, the people voted into office took note of the high number of libraries. MA is a very high standard of living stat e and we likely have some features other states may not. None of us have it 'perfect' andt here is rarely enough money for everything. It is up to the voters to express their choices at the poll s.

Edited by sail7seas

It’s so sad to hear of public libraries closing. We are blessed in British Columbia with a vibrant public library system.

We are fortunate in Wisconsin to have over public 400 libraries. And here, if you live in a community that doesn't have a library you are allowed to use another municipality's library. The library you use is then allowed to bill your community for your usage. This, along with home delivery and online options ensures everyone has access to library materials. It's a shame other states are not as fortunate.

We are fortunate in Wisconsin to have over public 400 libraries. And here, if you live in a community that doesn't have a library you are allowed to use another municipality's library. The library you use is then allowed to bill your community for your usage. This, along with home delivery and online options ensures everyone has access to library materials. It's a shame other states are not as fortunate.

Because I drive so litle, I have not investigted, recently about using a neighboring community's library. I did inquire years ago and perhaps the rules have changed. If I choose to drive more this spring, it is something for me to look into.

Because I drive so litle, I have not investigted, recently about using a neighboring community's library. I did inquire years ago and perhaps the rules have changed. If I choose to drive more this spring, it is something for me to look into.

Hopefully it is available to you! We also offer home delivery via volunteers but we are a very small community library. I'm not sure if that is a service offered in larger cities.

Project Gutenburg (http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/) was one of the first

15 sites on the internet (née ARPANET), and offers 50,000+ free books for

download.

Amazon offers a free Kindle app for your smartphone, and a search for

"kindle free books" at their site returns 200,000 results.

The library where I live has just expanded and added branches in neighboring towns........

Great point.

The amount of vitriol that has been displayed on these threads over the past several weeks over such an insignificant event that will have virtually no to little impact on those who do not wish to participate has been amazing.

I don't like sailing on a celebrity branded ship. I don't pay to wear designer logo clothing either. This is not "vitriol". If they want to pay me to market their brand, that is another story. But I don't pay them to market their name.

Oh, .....you sail Oprah's cruise line, and all the political baggage that association carries. No thank you. This personality branding was not a smart move.

It is my experience that if your local library closes, you are allowed to participate in the next closest. I have library cards from several different local-ish libraries, as an avid reader. I’d go broke buying all the books I read. But I can borrow them from my couch with a library card and a Kindle. Perhaps, if you’re interested, you might want to check and see which library(s) you are allowed to participate in. I’m quite certain there are resources available for those who want them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't read all of the posts about this subject, so I'm not sure if this was questioned. I don't usually buy books. I get them for my kindle from my library. Do you think that someone actually has to purchase the book on board to attend the book club meeting?

And here is the other matter. Who is leading the book club? I have experienced many book clubs and if the leader is not a master of focusing the discussion, the conversation often goes to the personal experiences of the attendees. I often lead the meetings.

So, I thought to myself - hey, this would be a great way for me to get a free cruise - by leading the book clubs!

I like book club meetings, so I am not opposed to this idea, but I worry about the discussion becoming diluted and therefore boring and/or frustrating.