Best way to keep track of 'ship time'

ntourtelotte

Am I correct that ships will not change time with the time zones, but rather will stay on their own time regardless of the time in port. So, if we are out and about, we need to keep track of the ships time on our own, not look at public clocks? And, if we connect our phone to wi-fi and the phone updates to local time, we need a different way to keep track of ship time? Suggestions?

Sorry for the question for which the obvious answer was a watch. I guess I should have said that no one in our house has a traditional watch and I was looking for other solutions. I am trying to avoid having to go buy a watch just for this purpose and bring one more thing along. But, thank you to those who said that the phone could be set to stay on one time even when you connect it. I will try to figure out how to do that.

Sorry for the question for which the obvious answer was a watch. I guess I should have said that no one in our house has a traditional watch and I was looking for other solutions. I am trying to avoid having to go buy a watch just for this purpose and bring one more thing along. But, thank you to those who said that the phone could be set to stay on one time even when you connect it. I will try to figure out how to do that.

Stay in airplane mode and it won't ping a cell tower for the local time.

Am I correct that ships will not change time with the time zones, but rather will stay on their own time regardless of the time in port. So, if we are out and about, we need to keep track of the ships time on our own, not look at public clocks? And, if we connect our phone to wi-fi and the phone updates to local time, we need a different way to keep track of ship time? Suggestions?

Umm...Wear a watch? :cool:

Sorry. I posted about a getting a watch before I read your next post. Not trying to be "that guy" but really, a watch is your best option. (You can get one for less than $10). You are on vacation. Turn the darned phone off and enjoy being "disconnected".

:hearteyes:

No one in my house does either. I just went to the Walmart and looked at watches they start at $5. I was able to snag one on Clarence for $3.

Just buy a cheap watch for the cruise and throw it away afterward if you don't normally wear a watch. You can probably buy one for under $5 somewhere that will keep perfectly good time. Probably even one that's waterproof for your excursions, unlike your phone!

Again, thank you for the responses and I know a watch is easiest. I also know that there is one day on our cruise that we will connect to local wifi as I have told my students that I will respond to emails on that day. Just want to be able to make sure we are accurately keeping track of time when taking the phone off airplane mode and connecting to wifi.

Again, thank you for the responses and I know a watch is easiest. I also know that there is one day on our cruise that we will connect to local wifi as I have told my students that I will respond to emails on that day. Just want to be able to make sure we are accurately keeping track of time when taking the phone off airplane mode and connecting to wifi.

WiFi and cellular antenna are two different things. I don't think your phone will change time from the WiFi. You can use WiFi in airplane mode and still keep your own time.

I have a super cheap watch that I got for cruising, and traveling in general because I don't like to carry my cell phone when I'm on vacation. I think I paid about $5 for it. What's funny is that for a couple days after the cruise, I'm checking my wrist for the time.