Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

I have yet to see a cruise show that keeps the attention of a three year old (who should be in bed sleeping at that time)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we were on the Spirit several years ago out of NOLA. The worst I had ever seen was the couple that brought their toddler, in a stroller into the show room to watch Second City. What were they thinking? Oh I know, they wanted some fun evening time and had no choice cause who was there to watch their fussy little one? :eek:

Interesting to see the sixty or so posters to this thread that remain seating during the performance and CD's comments after the show are in the significant minority.

Because no one disrespects / shows their back to the CD either, do they?

I have no idea who the cruise director is on most cruises. I think I have seen them a couple times at M&G's and in passing doing silly things on deck.

Society has gone down the toilet.

Proper table manners, show etiquette, and common sense are gone.

Little kids now attend adult shows!

Rudeness abounds.

Sad. Just sad.

Or how about texting and taking selfies during concerts. No one listens to the band. They are too busy watching it through their phone.

Once on Epic we did the Murder Mystery lunch. Its a small venue and the cast of Second City states at the beginning absolutely NO PHOTOGRAPHY. Well many today believe rules don't apply to them. A guy with a big fancy camera was taking photos of the performers and one tried to stay in character but turned to the guy and waved her finger like " don't do it."

IMHO the main reason people walk out of shows is because they have no attention span. They are easily entertained by selfies and photos on their twitter and facebook. They have no concept of a building plot or listening to a story. If they are not entertained in 5 minutes its time for a selfie in another part of the ship that allows photography :eek:

They aren't the mega shows for the mega ships but more variety type. We've always thought they were pretty good. On the Spirit they were only 45 minutes though so not like you'd have issues for bathroom or if the show is just o.k.

But the contemporary cruiser EXPECTS to see a Broadway show on a megaship. Not the "old fashion" variety show or ship production.

IMHO the main reason people walk out of shows is because they have no attention span. They are easily entertained by selfies and photos on their twitter and facebook. They have no concept of a building plot or listening to a story. If they are not entertained in 5 minutes its time for a selfie in another part of the ship that allows photography :eek:

They have learned the value of time and that it is NOT rude to step out if they don't feel that their time is being used most efficiently.

I almost said something about short attention spans in a previous post. Once again in total agreement!

Amazed this thread is still going on! This thread has been popcorn worthy!

I'm with you. My vacation ... my time. I am not going to sit through a show I don't like.

I'm watching The Cruise, about the Regal Princess, I'm getting a little nervous. I wouldn't like ANY of the 'show' performances I've seen rehearsed and bits & pieces of the show.

Am cruising Princess this year. I'm hoping there is entertainment I can enjoy.

I would love to watch this, are you watching on a streaming site? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

They have learned the value of time and that it is NOT rude to step out if they don't feel that their time is being used most efficiently.

Exactly,

There is a reason they call it freestyle cruising.

You do what you want to do as long as you enjoy it.

You want to sit by the pool all day or you don’t like a show and leave after 10 minutes, it is your vacation, if somebody is going to get offended because you have interrupted their view for 10 seconds, tough, they will get over it.

If people want to live by an “Etiquette” for everything they do and can’t seem to enjoy themselves on a cruise without trying to find fault in other passengers, I feel sorry for them.

Stay at home alone, nobody is going to offend you or break any of your imaginary rules that everybody is supposed to abide by.

Time for a drink, I miss the Mojito bar already.

Your right to do whatever you want to enjoy your cruise ends when it interferes with my right to enjoy my cruise.

I am sure there are many things that annoy you just as there are that annoy me and probably everyone.

The thing is I may think that you are a jerk for a moment but I won’t let it bother me for more than that, and I will certainly not let it ruin my vacation.

I don’t go on a cruise to search out who is annoying or what I can write about that annoys me.

If a child is unruly or annoying, it happens, if someone gets up and leaves a theatre, I don’t question why, could have a million reasons.

The ship is huge there are so many things to do and luckily most times there are plenty of other passengers who are there to enjoy their one week of being with their friends, loved ones and most are polite and happy people, these are the ones I like to associate with.

Not the Etiquette gurus who are just itching to find something to complain about or write about.

Your right to do whatever you want to enjoy your cruise ends when it interferes with my right to enjoy my cruise.

So people getting up and leaving during a show interferes with your right to enjoy your cruise? Do you think that holding them hostage interferes with their right to enjoy their cruise?

So you finally came out and said what you really mean.

It is all about you, anybody that interferes with your enjoyment has to be doing something wrong.

It is all about you after all.

We had heard that one of the shows on the Spirit was excellent and had a nice variety of music. We had only gone to one other show which was just okay. I felt the sound system needed some work It was rough and seemed to have much static)The performers seemed amateurish. None of the music was familiar to me or my daughter and we were not only bored but uncomfortable. When it was between numbers we tried to leave as unobtrusively as possible but did not want to waste an evening sitting and watching a show that we didn't enjoy. I am sorry to be disrespectful to the performers but you can't please everyone.

Exactly,

There is a reason they call it freestyle cruising.

You do what you want to do as long as you enjoy it.

You want to sit by the pool all day or you don’t like a show and leave after 10 minutes, it is your vacation, if somebody is going to get offended because you have interrupted their view for 10 seconds, tough, they will get over it.

If people want to live by an “Etiquette” for everything they do and can’t seem to enjoy themselves on a cruise without trying to find fault in other passengers, I feel sorry for them.

Stay at home alone, nobody is going to offend you or break any of your imaginary rules that everybody is supposed to abide by.

Time for a drink, I miss the Mojito bar already.

Problem is some people carry your philosophy too far e.g. chair hogging, saving seats in the theater, blatantly disregarding the dress code.

Problem is some people carry your philosophy too far e.g. chair hogging, saving seats in the theater, blatantly disregarding the dress code.

I guess I must have a better tolerance level or these things just don’t bother or interest me that much.

There is always a free chair somewhere, the exercise, does me good if it is a little further away than I want.

If nothing else there is usually a free bar stool.

I have never had a problem finding a seat in the theatre I reserve online 90 days prior sail date when possible and go there 30 minutes prior the show, get a nice drink and settle in.

I don’t believe in a dress code that is why I choose NCL.

I abide by it simply because what is the point of causing the waiter or hostess embarrassment in asking me to go back and change, but as far as I am concerned it doesn’t bother me one bit if they come in shorts, T shirts, and flip flops as long as it is clean ( I mean hygienically not looks).

Are most shows only 45 minutes long? Does it depend on the ship?

It will vary by ship and show obviously. I responded earlier as you said you are going on Sun. The new mega ships have the larger, longer shows.

On the older ships the shows used to run about an hour and it seems like they have been cut back a bit to around 45 minutes.

YMMV.

It will vary by ship and show obviously. I responded earlier as you said you are going on Sun. The new mega ships have the larger, longer shows.

On the older ships the shows used to run about an hour and it seems like they have been cut back a bit to around 45 minutes.

YMMV.

Ok thanks. Sorry if I missed your reply. My bad.

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

I must admit, I've walked out of more than aa few shows on cruiseships. Mostly because the shows were not very good but a few times were because I really didn't know what the shows were going to be all about when I walked in. I guess I would have researched the subject matter a bit more if I had to fork over another $25 or $50 per ticket to see the shows. But since the shows were 'free' it was easy to drop by for a sample and then decide if I want to stay or not.

As for my leaving being disrespectful to other audience members I fail to see how my leaving, for any reason, would affect anyone in the audience other than the people right around me. That's why I'm quiet about it and choose end of aisle seats. If someone on the other side of the theatre is bothered by my leaving perhaps they should be paying more attention to the show. And as for the performers, I suspect they were too busy performing to notice me quietly leaving (or that people were looking at me rather than them).

Of course if left the Beatles’ show yelling out at the top of my lungs; “ this isn’t an entomology seminar!!" then I might agree with you.

If the show isn't to my liking, I will wait for an opportune moment--scene change and quietly make my exit. Life is too short to waste my time. On the flip side of that, if I know my sister was enjoying it, I would sit through it to the end. As another cruiser mentioned, I am typically sitting in an aisle seat so disruption and distraction is at a minimum for fellow cruisers.

If the show isn't to my liking, I will wait for an opportune moment--scene change and quietly make my exit.

Life is too short to waste my time.

On the flip side of that, if I know my sister was enjoying it, I would sit through it to the end.

As another cruiser mentioned, I am typically sitting in an aisle seat so disruption and distraction is at a minimum for fellow cruisers.

Who knows.

On the flip side, we enjoy the whole cruise!