Don’t book cabin 828:the cabin the refit forgot

Don’t book this cabin, because “cabin” is all it is. Refit did not reach this cabin.

It is not a suite, although it costs the same as the exquisitely refurbished suites in the same class. Like the one right next door, Boasting a bigger balcony, exquisite goldfish framed mirrors reflecting the ocean outside.a walk-in closet, and a gen- u- wine bathroom

Unless you love cramped spaces, with no hope of getting an ambulatory person, not to mention a wheelchair around the Unless you like a wavy cement floor that trips you at every step, a shower curtain around a tiny shower, that slides across your bum or your knees, depending on, you know....

This cabin was entirely forgotten in the refit. It reminded me of the steerage cabin on my first “cruise” on the MS Gripsholm in March/ April1954. I remember that “cruise”....I didn’t want to relive it for $10,000 in my declining years!

Rusty metal fittings in the bathroom, plain white metal mirror frames, ( the identically priced suites in the same class boasted beautifully framed mirrors), in places never meant to reflect the lovely view outside, just the 3rd class cabin probably never meant to be used for anything more lofty than storage‰),a sofa too large to walk past. we had to ask the stewardess to move the sofa to get between it and the heavy curtain hanging intrusively, leaving only about 12 inches of space through which to squeeze a wheelchair.

Ok, I don’t use a wheelchair anymore, but I’ve had two hip replacements and can’t manage uneven surfaces. The thought of getting up in the middle of the night for a potty run, only to trip over the hilly floor, terrifies me.

To the bathroom: shower curtain wraps around a square of 30” ( I’m being generous; it’s probably closer to 24”). You can neither take a shower or a peee without it caressing your backside. No drawers or shelves for your necessaries. This square is flat against the rest of the bathroom floor, just a metal strip defines it.

This is labeled as a handicapped room. No non-handicapped person, let alone someone needing a wheelchair could ever hope to use it!

When you raise the padded bars around the toilet, the shower bench, etc,it is rusty everywhere. I

When we booked this cruise and cabin aboard our last voyage, the salesman told us this room would be bigger than others in the F class. That was a bald-faced lie. We wanted a penthouse suite, but they were already sold out. The salesman aboard Explorer assured us this room would suit our needs! Same size as a concierge suite, even larger, he promised.

There is no walk-in closet, just two tiny closets with hardly enough space to hang 3 shirts. The shelf closet’s bottom level is just a hole in the floor.

This is our 4th Regent cruise, and it will be our last.

The balcony is also smaller than the adjacent F class suite.

Just a rip-off, even with the buy on board “discounts.”

This space should not be sold to guests, at these prices. It is just a storage room with a minuscule balcony and a hopelessly substandard bathroom added as an afterthought.

Cabin 827 on the other side of the corridor is the same. Don’t book either of these steerage-class cabins, unless you have low expectations and money to burn.

:eek:

Wow, sounds miserable! I have never booked a handicapped cabin so not familiar with the alterations to support handicap access. BTW, you have a Mariner Suite on one side and an Penthouse C on the other; so balconies will be larger.

Hopefully you will get GM to help you address "unplanned" shortcomings in your suite.

Marc

If you are on Mariner, Regent’s president, Jason Montegue, is on board until Malaga. You might want to speak with him if your first stop with the General Manager does not accommodate you.

This sounds like an awful start to your cruise. Hope you are able to be accommodated to another suite and you let us know how you get on. I am sure I would be feeling exactly the same as you too in the situation. Jean.

Is the ship full? If not they should be able to move you but you must get to the Hotel Manager immediately.

Just got off Explorer this am. Looked into b2b back to Miami on Mariner and was.took it was 100% booked.

To the OP. Go to GM and complain. It was my understanding that all the cabins/suites were being remodeled and updated expectations. I to would be very PO'ed :mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad:if my expectations were that far off.

J

We are on the Mariner. Sorry I forgot to clarify that. Guess I was too upset.

I went to reception right away to request another room, of course they have none, and was told the head concierge would call me ( after waiting 1/2 hour for him). Of course he did not call. I see in passages that Mr. Montague will be at coffee connection at 9:30. As I haven’t been able to talk to concierge or GM, I will definitely try to speak with him there.

Marc, I checked the deck plan just now. The adjacent suite I caught a glimpse of through the panel on the deck was indeed a penthouse. I would be happy with a regular deluxe balcony F, same category as the one we are in.

Thanks, Marc, Jean and JMariner, for understanding my frustration with 828.

I am sure the crew of Mariner together with Regent’s contractors worked extremely hard, with long hours, during the refurbishment.

However we were disappointed that we as guests had been left to carry out the final inspection and get the snagging sorted.

The following issues were noted when we went to our Penthouse C yesterday afternoon:

• Balcony door stuck closed
  • Balcony & balcony furniture not cleaned (paint chips & paint splashes etc)
  • TV remote not working
  • Safe locked
  • No water to bathroom basin tap
  • Toilet flush not working
  • Bathroom light switch broken

Some of the most serious problems were sorted yesterday (we shared sail away with a friendly ship’s plumber, but not on our balcony!) and we are hopeful that the rest of the items will be fixed today.

There was evidence of other issues around the ship yesterday e.g. doors at the back of La Veranda stuck open and restrooms near La Veranda inoperative.

Will try to post some pictures of the refurbished areas on another thread in the next few days ........... if the Internet behaves itself on Mariner :rolleyes:;)

Those of us who built houses/buildings know that there is always a good-size "punch list" - and the houses/buildings are stationary not vibrating on an ocean. These experiences should give me pause (or realistic expectations) before I rush to reserve the first Splendor TA!

DW and I sailed on Voyager just "after" a refit and got to watch up close the build-out of the botiques and the Cruise Consultants office - that didn't affect us personally so it was more interesting than annoying.

This afternoon we had a new “best friend” sharing our suite.

The ship’s H&V engineer had to strip out a ceiling plank and air con controls in order to fix our air conditioning that had become stuck on “freezing” overnight.

He has just finished and it now seems to be working OK.

Those of us who built houses/buildings know that there is always a good-size "punch list" - and the houses/buildings are stationary not vibrating on an ocean. These experiences should give me pause (or realistic expectations) before I rush to reserve the first Splendor TA!

DW and I sailed on Voyager just "after" a refit and got to watch up close the build-out of the botiques and the Cruise Consultants office - that didn't affect us personally so it was more interesting than annoying.

Your comments regarding realistic expectations is spot on. Thank you for your well thought out post!

This is why I've never been that keen on being on an inaugural cruise or even a cruise right after a refurb...for what these cruises cost, I want things to be right. I prefer things to be sorted out before I get on board - the 'bragging rights' of being first just don't matter that much to me.

But maybe that's just me.

DeepFreeze: although I agree about expectations---I also think if your paying full price for a cruise one should expect things to be right, if more time in dry dock was needed thats a Regent problem not a customers problem. If Regent is taking customer on the ship, the ship should be ready for a Regent Experience nothing less. What Flossie009 listed is unacceptable, a few little things yes but lets get real. Flossie and others should get what they pay for and nothing less. Rick

This is why I've never been that keen on being on an inaugural cruise or even a cruise right after a refurb...for what these cruises cost, I want things to be right. I prefer things to be sorted out before I get on board - the 'bragging rights' of being first just don't matter that much to me.

But maybe that's just me.

You are not alone. We never cruise on a ship or a re-furnished one for quite a few months after launching. We have had two very bad experiences, but not with Regent.

Has anybody ever seen a Mariner cabin/suite with a shower curtain? This sounds like something previously intended for crew or entertainer purposes. Greenman, please, calmly and courteously persist. And persist. And work your way up the chain until you get somebody to come look at what you are describing. I've done it, I know it works. Nobody should be in a cabin like that on my beloved Mariner!!!

Your comments regarding realistic expectations is spot on. Thank you for your well thought out post!

I know us Brits are a funny crowd, but having the expectation that water would come out of your basin tap when you turn it on does not seem unrealistic to us :rolleyes:

Is it also unrealistic to have thought that the steward might have spotted this problem, and others, when preparing the room and might have thought to report it to maintenance for rectification?

Has anybody ever seen a Mariner cabin/suite with a shower curtain? This sounds like something previously intended for crew or entertainer purposes. Greenman, please, calmly and courteously persist. And persist. And work your way up the chain until you get somebody to come look at what you are describing. I've done it, I know it works. Nobody should be in a cabin like that on my beloved Mariner!!!

A shower curtain??!!! Must agree that I haven't seen a shower curtain in years and most certainly not on Regent. I think "Greenman" definately has some gripes that should be fixed ASAP. They're not exactly giving away Regent cruises at the moment! Please keep us posted on how all of this is shaking out....

Your comments regarding realistic expectations is spot on.

Sorry TC, but given that Regent purport to be a 6 star cruise line and charge accordingly - I do not think it is unrealistic to expect everything to be working, even, or is it especially, after a re-fit.