Free Wi Fi

The Mommy

I am not one who wants more things included. Firstly, they are never "Free", so my cruise fare would go up.

WiFi is not something I use a lot, and get by using the free WiFi available in most ports.

Don't see why I should share the cost of those who feel the need to have 24/7 streaming, gaming, social media contact.

I like the "A la carte" system, so I can pick and choose, and only pay for, those things I want to use.

George

Edited by bookitdanno
spelling
  • Like 2

Why?

As long as some people can‘t even live without the internet for a few days, cruise lines make a lot if money with it. Why would they want to change that.

If it was „included“ everyone would end up paying for it. There is no such thing as a free lunch :-)

Plus, there are other options. I tryed skyroam on our last cruise (Korea, Japan, China) and I was really happy with it.

• Like 1

Ship Wi-Fi is not the same as land based Wi-Fi. Ships rely on satellite to get the connectivity. It is not the best Wi-Fi. It can be slow and spotty. If everyone had it for free, there would never be enough bandwidth. I do think Celebrity is a bit pricey for their packages. However, if I feel that we must have it, I would pay for it, but since we’re on vacation, we just disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How does anyone feel about the internet packages and charges?

Should it not be free to all guests?

Interesting question. Do you pay for WiFi at home? If yes, why would it be free on a ship? I know some cities particularly in Europe offer free WiFi coverage but it is generally slow and not secure. More and more hotels in the US are offering free WiFi - or free to guests within their Rewards programs. Cruise lines like Celebrity bundle WiFi with certain cabins and rates as a perk but of course you and everybody else pays for it one way or another. Perhaps at some point in the future main stream cruise lines will offer WiFi to everybody in their standard rates as a competitive advantage and perhaps that will become an industry norm. Not expecting this anytime soon.

• Like 1

How does anyone feel about the internet packages and charges?

Should it not be free to all guests?

Mommy,

I would like free drinks on the ship and also free specialty restaurants. Nothing is free. And if you thought the WIFI was slow now, imagine if it were free!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NOTHING is free! You’re paying for it in the cruise cost.

PLEASE, let those who use it, pay the cost.

On our 15night cruise, with elite discount it is $200.

Supposedly it covers 4 devices, but I’ll report back if it’s good or not.

Contrary to most teenagers, Internet is not essential to life LOL, so, why should someone who DOESN’T want, need, or use it, have to cover the expense?

Contrary to most teenagers, Internet is not essential to life LOL, so, why should someone who DOESN’T want, need, or use it, have to cover the expense?

So true! We all survived years of no internet or cell phones, not sure why people can’t survive a week without it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, “I need it for work.” “I need to stay in touch with family.” What did you do before?

Miaminice, could you tell me more about Skyroam? Is the connection reliable and I see on their website you can rent the device instead of buying it, which option did you choose?

I bought the hotspot (Amazon) because I plan on using it again in the future. Yes, the connection was pretty reliable. However, keep in mind that it is cellular based and therefore does not work far out at sea. I was surprised, however, how long it worked after leaving a port.

We loved that we could just take it with us on excursions (DIY) and so always had internet with us. That made it easy to look things up, look at a map etc.

Being able to hook up five devices is also a big advantage.

If you use it, you pay for the 24 hours and if you don’t use it you don’t activate it... perfect!

Our last cruise took us to 5 different countries. I didn’t have to worry about different plans or anything. I just turned the device on, activated a day pass and that was it...

Really happy we got it ...

I don't need to be connected 24/7, but do wish that I could check my email once or twice while on board. It would be nice if Celebrity could offer wifi access similar to what at least one other cruise line provides, namely a bank of minutes (incrementally less expensive depending on the quantity) to be used at the passenger's discretion.

I don't need to be connected 24/7, but do wish that I could check my email once or twice while on board. It would be nice if Celebrity could offer wifi access similar to what at least one other cruise line provides, namely a bank of minutes (incrementally less expensive depending on the quantity) to be used at the passenger's discretion.

Onboard there are a few more options than what is available before hand (I’m not exactly sure what they are), but you don’t have to get the package for the whole cruise.

The WiFi hardware has already been paid for. It's the bandwidth people are paying for. Kinda like your monthly internet bill. It would be really cheap on a per person basis if it was included in everyone's fare. Likely less than $5, but it would also be 'dial-up' slow if everyone tried to use it.

Personally, we just do without unless we're in a port. Even then, we usually need to buy a coffee or a drink to get the 'free' WiFi. Then again we're 60+ so we were without WiFi for most of our lives anyway.

Captain's Club members receive an internet allowance and/or discount based upon loyalty tier...

• Classic members receive a 10% discount against the purchase of a package...
  • Select members receive a 25% discount against the purchase of a package...
  • Elite members receive either a 90 minute internet allowance or, if preferred, a 30% discount against the purchase of a package...
  • Elite Plus members receive either a 240 minute internet allowance or, if preferred, a 35% discount against the purchase of a package...
  • Zenith members receive an unlimited internet package on a complimentary basis...

For further information, please see the following web page...

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

Edited by Xport

It is true that nothing is actually free.

Why should it be free? One reason would be because Celebrity's desired demographic is well-to-do 30's to 40's aged cruisers and that generation expects to be connected as a general rule.

Why should it be lower cost? Because it is WAY overpriced for what you get - which is spotty at best, definitely cannot be used for good streaming (although they advertise it as such), and I think is a huge money grab for them.

And to those who say why not make specialty restaurants free, and drinks free, etc.., etc.. To that I say there is a lot of onboard entertainment that is free - tv in your cabin and several other venues, live music, production shows, guest entertainers, trivia, speakers, etc.., etc.. One could present the argument that internet connection falls within the realm of entertainment. Not everyone uses or wants internet? Well, not everyone wants to go to production shows, play trivia, and so on. That argument just doesn't fly with me

If the ship you are on has been updated to use the Celebrity App, you should be able to access the ship based materials on board without paying extra.

You can access the Celebrity website for free while on board. This way,you can look at the future cruises available to be booked and go into the Future Cruises shop to book them knowing the price and availability.

I think I could book a Shoreex for my B2B, but I'm not positive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ship Wi-Fi is not the same as land based Wi-Fi. Ships rely on satellite to get the connectivity. It is not the best Wi-Fi. It can be slow and spotty. If everyone had it for free, there would never be enough bandwidth. I do think Celebrity is a bit pricey for their packages. However, if I feel that we must have it, I would pay for it, but since we’re on vacation, we just disconnect.

This. Comparing internet costs to anything else is like comparing apples to oranges. They can stock the ship with as much liquor, photo paper, and every other consumable, as they can sell. But the cost to provide as much bandwidth as they could give to people is prohibitive on a satellite network. The charges are needed to limit the number of people using it.

This was the response I was hoping for - thank you