HAL gets Oprah - here is what Princess is getting

OlsSalt

We would view Oprah as we would he $9.99 tinkets and trash sale that clutter up the ship with on several eveninsg. We will simply give them a wide berth.

Neither adds anything to the enjoyment of our cruise. But neither are a substitute for entertainment. For us, it would be like the cruise line trying to convince us that art auctions are so entertaining that they can replace other forms of on board entertainment. Fact is they get old very fast....as in five minutes.

Edited by iancal

I don't think that Oprah is actually going to be on my cruise, so having her name tossed around adds zero value to my cruise. I find it hard to believe that someone actually chose a cruise based on the Oprah (or any other absent celebrity) endorsement.

I would rather have a lesser celebrity for real than the name "Oprah" on some banner. Likewise, I would rather have the BB King Blues as well.

igraf

It's really an apples to oranges comparison.

Oprah's name does still mean something to lots and lots of people, arguably more-so than the America's Test Kitchen or B.B. King affiliations. She is still very much a powerful media mogul. People were seriously considering her as a Presidential candidate just a couple of months ago based on one speech. Linda Gray could give the same speech and be met with crickets.

The speaker series on Princess is with decidedly much lower-level celebrities who would appeal to a very niche audience that might remember them. I actually would love to hear a Lainie Kazan talk on a cruise, but to compare her or any of the other celebs mentioned in that article to an A-lister like Oprah is a bit of a stretch, to put it politely.

And HAL hasn't turned everything into the Oprah Show at Sea. It's an advertising affiliation meant to entice her fans.

Problem is, when asked what their problem with Oprah is,the response from the most vocal people on these threads is *crickets*

Well here's my take. I don't mind celebrities on a cruise if they're onboard for personal travel, or doing a lecture or two.

What I do mind, is wrapping a celebrity's brand with a cruise line. It's too much. As some one else posted, when we go to the HAL website, a photo of Oprah is right up front, top of mind. Often it's the first thing we see. Is it a cruise line website or a magazine cover ?

I like Oprah, watched her show for years (back in the day ) and I respect her amazing success. But there is a thing as too much exposure and cross-over, and HAL's relationship with her brand is a good example of it. And, worse of all, it's angering many of their loyal customers.

Again, I'm so amused that people would be angry over such a thing. If I were HAL, I wouldn't have chosen such a polarizing association, but I also cringe at how hypersensitive we've become as a society. For those of you who are actually 'angry' about this, vote with your dollars and sail elsewhere.

Stickey Mouse and Cruiser Bruiser:

Yep. These are the same posters who whinged the loudest about HAL modernising their ships,dress code, etc. are the ones just about always to be found on(or starting)Oprah threads/posting on them.

Nope, not at all.....

Not me.

That is a ridiculous statement.

I have not, and would not, begin to try stomp my feet and write letters, etc... on this one.

(and is that whole description even valid today... who stomps their feet and even writes actual letters in this day of instant electronic communications??? Maybe a small percentage of the 'older' passengers who are loyal to HAL????)

AGAIN, why do so many posts on this forum repeatedly reference 'the older' passengers? It is getting OLD given that hardly a day goes by without someone mentioning how old HAL pax are. Well, that is not a crime as far as I know and those of us you comment are 'old' are lucky and wish you the same good luck. There is only one altern ative to growing old. NOT EVERYone is so l ucky to grow old and if YOU young'uns are very lucky, you,too, one day will be 'old'

I will openly admit, as a cruiser on another cruise line, I actually DID, recently, contact them at two different contacts because of a change that they were trying to initiate.

Guess what.... many others did so as well. The other line... They immediately back-tracked.

Sometimes, if a company values their loyal customers opinions and desires, they might, just possibly, give that some consideration.

Not sure HAL thoroughly thought that thru with such a big change as this cruise-line wide association with this one person.

^ Wow.Most people are able to take the comments about "older passengers" for what it is:a valid comment.

Sure,there are a lot of older passengers on HAL ships, but they're hardly HAL's *only* passengers. Yes yes,I know, stating the obvious, but..HAL has the floating old folks' home reputation for a reason, and HAL are trying to branch out and appeal to everyone.

Of course the longtime HAL passengers are going to chafe at this.Lots of thin skins,IMO.

^ Wow.Most people are able to take the comments about "older passengers" for what it is:a valid comment.

Sure,there are a lot of older passengers on HAL ships, but they're hardly HAL's *only* passengers. Yes yes,I know, stating the obvious, but..HAL has the floating old folks' home reputation for a reason, and HAL are trying to branch out and appeal to everyone.

Of course the longtime HAL passengers are going to chafe at this.Lots of thin skins,IMO.

Lots of repetition. :)

Best wishes for a long life, MAY YOU be so lucky to grow old. ;)

Lots of repetition?The same could be said for people in the "I hate Oprah" camp.Same old type of thread, different day, really.

I did not see many posters saying they 'hate' Oprah That is a huge leap f rom don't like to hate. . HARd to 'hate' someone you don't know.

And when people on theses HAL boards repeatedly post anti-Oprah posts, it makes me aware that they are likely racists with an agenda.

Oh brother, here we go again! :rolleyes: But I knew it was just a matter of time before someone played the 'racist' card.

The first 2 items that come to mind about Opera are the car give away fiasco, where she was giving a car away to everyone on her show that day, but never mentioned taxes ( sales and income) and the people that got the cars were blindsided. Next is her commercials on Weight Watchers about how much she lost. She has a financial interest in Weight Watches, so we can dismiss her credibility, and anyone who's followed her knows, her weight goes up and down like an elevator. So much for any credibility.

As someone who's struggled with a weight problem their entire life, that last comment was uncalled for. Just because my weight fluctuates up and down doesn't make me or Oprah not credible.

Roz

As someone who's struggled with a weight problem their entire life, that last comment was uncalled for. Just because my weight fluctuates up and down doesn't make me or Oprah not credible.

Roz

The truth is an absolute defense.

SEABOURN has Spa and Wellness with Dr. Andrew Weil and Chef Thomas Keller; HOLLAND AMERICA has New Age and Wellness with Oprah Winfrey and America's Test Kitchen; PRINCESS has their newly announced "celebrities". This is what the cruise lines are focusing on for branding their experiences. They obviously have decided that this concept will help them market their cruises.

People on cruise critic just like to cruise but others may find the other experiences interesting.

Problem is, when asked what their problem with Oprah is,the response from the most vocal people on these threads is *crickets*

I think that it’s up to you to prove racism in those who post negative comments about Oprah or the HAL/Oprah partnership.

Unless you believe in

“Guilty until proven innocent.”

SEABOURN has Spa and Wellness with Dr. Andrew Weil and Chef Thomas Keller; HOLLAND AMERICA has New Age and Wellness with Oprah Winfrey and America's Test Kitchen; PRINCESS has their newly announced "celebrities". This is what the cruise lines are focusing on for branding their experiences. They obviously have decided that this concept will help them market their cruises.

People on cruise critic just like to cruise but others may find the other experiences interesting.

The "old"(sorry not sorry) guard want to keep HAL stagnant and never change anything. Again,not what they want to hear but..

The "old"(sorry not sorry) guard want to keep HAL stagnant and never change anything. Again,not what they want to hear but..

Watch who you call "old".

Your characterizations are a bit tiresome.

Pretty sure I can out tour you any day of the week. I skip the donkeys and cable cars in Santorini and do the steps. I'm not sure what old is anymore but IMO part of it is a mind set, mostly, it seems - YOURS.