Can you bring your own beach chairs?

Background: thinking of booking a cruise to Bermuda but want to keep the budget tight. My kids are 4, so there's be a lot of beach time.

Would we be able to bring our own camper chairs in order to avoid renting at the various beaches? Our own umbrella? I'm not thinking anything huge, just chairs you can carry on your back.

I checked the NCL prohibited items list and didn't see an issue. But, my last cruise, I don't remember seeing anyone with the backpack beach chairs the day we were in port, so I'm assuming there's a reason. On the other hand, the reason could just be that I wasn't paying attention :-).

We'd be driving to NYC, so no issue with airlines, only with NCL.

You can bring anything along that is not on the prohibited list, and chairs and umbrellas are not on the list. IMO the biggest issue is space in the cabin. Based on OP's screen name that is going to be five people in a cabin. Space is going to be at a premium, even if they have two cabins or a suite, space is going to be tight. Additionally you have to get the stuff to the beach and back which is likely easier said than done. I would leave the stuff at home.

Background: thinking of booking a cruise to Bermuda but want to keep the budget tight. My kids are 4, so there's be a lot of beach time.

Would we be able to bring our own camper chairs in order to avoid renting at the various beaches? Our own umbrella? I'm not thinking anything huge, just chairs you can carry on your back.

I checked the NCL prohibited items list and didn't see an issue. But, my last cruise, I don't remember seeing anyone with the backpack beach chairs the day we were in port, so I'm assuming there's a reason. On the other hand, the reason could just be that I wasn't paying attention :-).

We'd be driving to NYC, so no issue with airlines, only with NCL.

DD and I took a compact folded beach blanket when we were cutting costs. Two of those would serve you well. Depending on whether you want shade at times you could also carry a compact folding pop up sun shade. Neither takes much space. Umbrellas and chairs aren’t prohibited, just awkward to lug around.

How are you going to get the chairs to the beach? You're not going to be allowed to bring on public buses. Even luggage from the airport is not allowed on public buses. If you are forced to travel by cab, you're going to blow the savings from renting beach chairs.....unless you have some way to the beach that I'm not thinking of. I'm actually not sure if they'd be allowed on shuttles, they may be, but for sure not on public buses if that's what you were thinking.

You might want to post on the Bermuda boards. Given the state of public transit in Bermuda these days, getting them on the cruise ship is the least of your worries. How will you get them to the beach is what you need to research.

We have gone to Bermuda many times and bring folding beach chairs every time

We like to go to Ft. St Catherine's beach which does not have any facilities.

We bring 2 and put them in a large duffle bag with the rest of our luggage. We store them under the bed in the cabin.

It seems like a huge pain in the butt to me. Why must you have chairs? We spread a parachute type blanket on the sand, the kind that any sand just falls off, and it folds up to basically nothing. That works fine. Who wants to store and lug chairs around?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are traveling to someplace like horseshoe, the taxi/shuttle from the port is a minibus where you are crammed in with as many people as they can fit. Extra “luggage” may be hard (the driver has a small amount of storage in the back).

We just use towels, never rent chairs. We will rent an umbrella to give some shade.

You can bring anything along that is not on the prohibited list, and chairs and umbrellas are not on the list. IMO the biggest issue is space in the cabin. Based on OP's screen name that is going to be five people in a cabin. Space is going to be at a premium, even if they have two cabins or a suite, space is going to be tight. Additionally you have to get the stuff to the beach and back which is likely easier said than done. I would leave the stuff at home.

If they are not on the list... I would say just bring them ... the beauty of renting them is you just get up and leave them on the beach... here is the rub... traveling g with 2 small children I would say if you are on an itinerary that requires tendering ... I would imagine you would have your hands full with just the kids... sometimes you are packed on the tenders like sardines... where do you store the chairs and umbrella?

Also from a safety point of view.. the umbrellas you rent are resort quality... they are anchored in the deep sand to withstand high winds... not sure if an umbrella (say from a retail outlet for home use would hold up... hate to have a backyard umbrella impale someone on the beach cause it wasn’t anchored in the sand deep enough...

My gut says maybe just leave it home and see if you regret it..

We usually bring some of the stadium seat things to sit on if we plan to go somewhere without facilities like we do in many ports. I don't mind sitting on a towel but I like having a back rest so it solves that without being bulky. I also have a small sun shade that folds up to nearly nothing. All is light and no hassle to carry with you. The seats actually fit in my backpack and the shade is small enough to carry because it is a little shorter than a bag chair.

91SYYfHxGrL._SL1500_.jpg

Best-Beach-Tent.jpg