AMEX Offer: Spend $500 on Carnival, get $100 statement credit

gtalum

On 5-27-18, after reading about the $100 discount, I signed up for the discount on AMEX which my Skymiles card is eligible. I then went into my Carnival account and paid the $500 down in one payment..

I always get a notification on my cell phone any time the card is used and the amount. When I got the notification, instead of it saying $500, it said $298.00 for Carnival Cruise lines Reservation, then another one for $202.00 for Carnival Cruise Lines Reservation. We have used that card many times before for a lot more than $500 so I can't figure out why they did it that way.

I just checked my AMEX statement and that's the way it's listed on there too. As of now, no discount shows up. Carnival just shows it as $500 deposit. It will be interesting to see if we get the discount.

On 5-27-18, after reading about the $100 discount, I signed up for the discount on AMEX which my Skymiles card is eligible. I then went into my Carnival account and paid the $500 down in one payment..

I always get a notification on my cell phone any time the card is used and the amount. When I got the notification, instead of it saying $500, it said $298.00 for Carnival Cruise lines Reservation, then another one for $202.00 for Carnival Cruise Lines Reservation. We have used that card many times before for a lot more than $500 so I can't figure out why they did it that way.

I just checked my AMEX statement and that's the way it's listed on there too. As of now, no discount shows up. Carnival just shows it as $500 deposit. It will be interesting to see if we get the discount.

I think you will because they did that to me once when I made a payment over the phone to Carnival. After that transaction I never got the email confirming that I’d be getting the statement credit but did get the credit once the charges were posted to my statement.

I think you will because they did that to me once when I made a payment over the phone to Carnival. After that transaction I never got the email confirming that I’d be getting the statement credit but did get the credit once the charges were posted to my statement.

my offer says that you can book online. Is that correct?

Roz here, back for an un-update. Still no credit, and the offer expires May 31. I contacted AMEX yet AGAIN this morning, and was assured 1) I qualify for the credit; 2) I will receive it within 3-5 days; and 3) it's being "escalated".

I've received credits in the past for AMEX offers I loaded to my card, and never had a problem. It just happened automatically. Not sure why it's an issue this time.

Thanks for hanging in here with me.

Roz

Thanks for this thread! I wasn’t going to try for the offer because our deposit was before the start date. After reading on here, I charged part of my final payment on Amex and got the $100 credit. :)

Edited by Heyitsege
Added signature

Check your AMEX offers. It's actually an offer for most of the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" Group. Put $500 on your AMEX, get a $100 statement credit. I paid $500 towards my booking and got the confirmation email right away. Some purchases don't count, but paying toward your balance should. This offer comes around a couple of times a year. Easy $100.

Note: Probably not available on co-branded cards.

I just checked and it was available on my Delta AmEx card. Can you pay for the whole cruise and get more than$100 back?

Thanks in advance

Same here, I'm still waiting. My $500 to Holland America is somehow showing up as 5 $100 OBC deposits.

I have been calling and being assured it will show up. Their explanation seems to be that it is a holiday weekend.

I just checked and it was available on my Delta AmEx card. Can you pay for the whole cruise and get more than$100 back?

Thanks in advance

You can do that (pay the entire cruise balance) but all you will get is a single $100 credit to your Amex card. It only applies to a single transaction of $500 or more and once it's been redeemed, it's gone. You don't mention when your cruise is (or final payment date) but I'm guessing this Amex/WLCL offer will come back later this year or early next year and if so, you will have another opportunity.

Idiot that I am, I didn't read the fine print before I made the $500 deposit. Was there a cut off date for when the cruise is taken? On some of the deals that Carnival has, the cruise must be taken before a certain date. Did this offer have a certain date of when the cruise has to be taken?

If we both have an AMEX card under the same account, do both cards qualify for the discount? Or is it just one discount per account?

Idiot that I am, I didn't read the fine print before I made the $500 deposit. Was there a cut off date for when the cruise is taken? On some of the deals that Carnival has, the cruise must be taken before a certain date. Did this offer have a certain date of when the cruise has to be taken?

If we both have an AMEX card under the same account, do both cards qualify for the discount? Or is it just one discount per account?

No it doesn’t matter when you take the cruise. If you have separate card numbers and separate log ins you can it add to each card. You can always call and have them charge $500 to your Amex and refund the deposit. That’s what I did for my and my mom and sister’s cabin last cruise. We saved a whole bunch between all my Amex cards!

Thanks for passing this info along. I had just signed up for a Delta SkyMiles AMEX and got my card in the mail over the weekend. I was able to add this offer to my card and pay the $500 toward my balance on line. I got an instant email back confirming that I used the offer. Just waiting for the credit to appear. In the terms and conditions of the offer, it said the statement credit would appear within three months after the 5/31/18 billing statement. Sounds like from others experience, they do show up sooner. But also sounds like it could take longer.

Planning on using my credit to buy a discounted Carnival gift card! :)

Yes but minimum amount is $500.

I won't necessarily dispute this because we've never tried to use the offer to pay for pre-paid grats by itself, but the fine print of the offer excludes pre-paid gratuities unless they were booked at the time of the initial reservation. If folks have found that not to be true then perhaps there's another loophole in the Amex offer. :confused:

You do realize that it takes a couple of business days for the discount to post after the charge posts to your credit card, right? And that the 27th was a Sunday so the earliest the actual charge could post is today?

You do realize that it takes a couple of business days for the discount to post after the charge posts to your credit card, right? And that the 27th was a Sunday so the earliest the actual charge could post is today?

You are right. Funny how the charges can show up immediately yet the discount takes two or three days to show up. Gotta love technology.

I just checked my account and the -$100 is there.

If this offer pops up again before final payment is due, can you use it twice?

Edited by RWolver672

You are right. Funny how the charges can show up immediately yet the discount takes two or three days to show up. Gotta love technology.

I just checked my account and the -$100 is there.

If this offer pops up again before final payment is due, can you use it twice?

Yes. I’ve used the offer on 3 cards 2 times that’s I’ve seen it’s been offered.

Nothing funny (or even strange or sinister) about it. What you see after the charge is made is the pending charge aka authorization. There may be times when the authorization is received but the charge never shows up (like a cruise where they put a hold on your card to cover possible onboard charges, or a gas station). The discount only shows up after the charge actually posts, and they only post on business days.

No it doesn’t matter when you take the cruise. If you have separate card numbers and separate log ins you can it add to each card. You can always call and have them charge $500 to your Amex and refund the deposit. That’s what I did for my and my mom and sister’s cabin last cruise. We saved a whole bunch between all my Amex cards!

I didn’t think Carnival would do that. Trying to decide if I should call and ask. I made a $675 deposit on a Panorama cruise a few weeks ago and then added the offer. We just paid for season ski passes so I don’t really want to pay another $500 today for my 2020 cruise.