Kids and the drink package

Good morning,

I never thought I'd debate in my head so much the pros and cons of purchasing a drink package.

Anyway....I am going to call RC for the Delux and Refreshment for me and the hubs, as suggested on here. However, I have a 6 and 9 year old who will drink water, juice and (9 year old) occassional soda. Do you suggest packages for them or can I get away with just the two packages for us? When ordering, will they allow me to purchase drinks for our kids with my husband and my cards or will they charge for the kids as well? We can give them our soda cups when we get them as neither my husband nor I really drink soda.

Thanks!

Drink packages are meant for ONE person only. Sharing is considered theft (if you go to an all you can eat restaurant, would you buy two dinners and expect to have your children share from your plates?). You can buy individual cans of soda for about $4. Juice is free at breakfast. You can bring sports bottles and fill them with juice at breakfast for them to have during the day.

I let my kids use that soda cup they give me.

Occasionally when I get a drink from the bar, I also ask for a glass of soda for one of the kids.

Never been an issues, Except from the busy-bodies on this website.

• Like 3

... When ordering, will they allow me to purchase drinks for our kids with my husband and my cards ...

Sure, just tell the bar server you need to pay extra for the kid's drinks, they can easily do that.

• Like 1

Occasionally when I get a drink from the bar, I also ask for a glass of soda for one of the kids.

Of course you do. And of course you brag about it.

• Like 1

Don’t worry about the criticism. On the last cruise my son was gambling next to me and ordered a drink (he had the drink package, I did not). Any way the drink turned out to be way too sweet and not to his liking so he gave it to me. There was no problem except with those on the boards that had read about my experience on another post and had suggested that I should have refused the drink or thrown it away. What a waste that would have been and for an isolated incident.

My husband and I each had the deluxe package with plans to buy our son the occasional virgin drink or soda. When we ordered the drinks, we said we needed to pay for our son's, but they never charged us. While I wouldn't expect this all the time, I'm sure it happens frequently. We definitely made sure the bartenders recieved extra tips.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Good morning,

I never thought I'd debate in my head so much the pros and cons of purchasing a drink package.

Anyway....I am going to call RC for the Delux and Refreshment for me and the hubs, as suggested on here. However, I have a 6 and 9 year old who will drink water, juice and (9 year old) occassional soda. Do you suggest packages for them or can I get away with just the two packages for us? When ordering, will they allow me to purchase drinks for our kids with my husband and my cards or will they charge for the kids as well? We can give them our soda cups when we get them as neither my husband nor I really drink soda.

Thanks!

Theft? LOL Don't listen to this emotional guilt crap.

Of course give them your drink package cups! Enjoy the cruise!

• Like 1

Theft, nice... I know few ships without the Freestyle they check cards, don't just assume you have a cup you paid for Soda plan...

Of course you do. And of course you brag about it.

Lighten up Francis.

I personally don't find it to be bragging. A question was presented to this board community and while your response might be different, he answered it honestly based on his experiences. I'd do the same & I find it foolish to not allow the kids to use the cups. With free juice, milk, and water on board for the kids, a soda a day is not going to hurt neither the kid or RCL.

• Like 1

Theft, nice... I know few ships without the Freestyle they check cards, don't just assume you have a cup you paid for Soda plan...

If the bartender serves you a alcohol drink and a glass of soda at the same time without charging your sea pass for the cola, is it theft? No.

If you bring on a case of water or cola onto the ship, is it theft? No.

Some on this board need a life beyond this board as they are too judgemental. There is no need to name their names, they know who they are.

Why not just pay for your kids drinks if they aren't going to be drinking the stuff that often? You can get juice at the buffet in the morning and at lunch and supper - just dispense it into a go cup or something similar. Budget it in as part of the cost of your cruise. If you do as Kelli said in her post and say you need to pay for the kids' drinks and they don't charge that is one thing. But don't abuse the system - that is why our costs have gone up and now both adults in the cabin have to buy the beverage package, not just one.

Don’t worry about the criticism. On the last cruise my son was gambling next to me and ordered a drink (he had the drink package, I did not). Any way the drink turned out to be way too sweet and not to his liking so he gave it to me. There was no problem except with those on the boards that had read about my experience on another post and had suggested that I should have refused the drink or thrown it away. What a waste that would have been and for an isolated incident.

But the OP is not talking about an isolated incident. They’re talking about a plan to consistently give their children’s drinks rather than pay for them. There is zero similarity to your situation.

Lighten up Francis.

I personally don't find it to be bragging. A question was presented to this board community and while your response might be different, he answered it honestly based on his experiences. I'd do the same & I find it foolish to not allow the kids to use the cups. With free juice, milk, and water on board for the kids, a soda a day is not going to hurt neither the kid or RCL.

Apparently you are not familiar with our friend matj2000.

Do whatever your personal standards and moral beliefs allow. Regardless, using YOUR soda cup for your kids is technically "theft." If you get caught, there could be consequences such as you losing your Drink Package. So you know. If it were to happen (everyone on here would be shocked if it did, but it could), don't come on here complaining.

So, why do we NOT advocate sharing packages? Well, IMHO, that is why we now must ALL in a cabin buy a package or NO ONE in a cabin buys a package. It screwed us all! Because of so many on this forum bragging about sharing packages. Am I sure that's the reason? No, of course not. But I'm willing to bet it is the big reason. It was highly bragged about and encouraged, just like so many are encouraging you give your kids your soda cups. Next thing you know, the Freestyle machines will disappear and everyone will have to show their Seapass every time they get a soda.

So, my point. Do as you wish. But PLEASE don't advocate or brag about it, and don't ask CC for "permission" to violate the rules. It will likely end up changing a good deal, like it did with the Drink Packages. And that affects us all.

Do whatever your personal standards and moral beliefs allow. Regardless, using YOUR soda cup for your kids is technically "theft." If you get caught, there could be consequences such as you losing your Drink Package. So you know. If it were to happen (everyone on here would be shocked if it did, but it could), don't come on here complaining.

So, why do we NOT advocate sharing packages? Well, IMHO, that is why we now must ALL in a cabin buy a package or NO ONE in a cabin buys a package. It screwed us all! Because of so many on this forum bragging about sharing packages. Am I sure that's the reason? No, of course not. But I'm willing to bet it is the big reason. It was highly bragged about and encouraged, just like so many are encouraging you give your kids your soda cups. Next thing you know, the Freestyle machines will disappear and everyone will have to show their Seapass every time they get a soda.

So, my point. Do as you wish. But PLEASE don't advocate or brag about it, and don't ask CC for "permission" to violate the rules. It will likely end up changing a good deal, like it did with the Drink Packages. And that affects us all.

Very well said. I travel solo, so this really isn't my problem. But I am noticing so many people "sharing" with their kids/family. People are complaining about everyone in the cabin having to buy a package. You can't have it both ways! Either buy a soda package for the kids, or drink the free offerings.

Theft? LOL Don't listen to this emotional guilt crap.

Of course give them your drink package cups! Enjoy the cruise!

100% agree and I've done that many times! I don't drink soda, kids do, here's my cup have at it! Edited by 95south
sp

I fully agree with you. None of what anybody posts on here will change the mind of those dishonest thieves sharing their soda package, but yes it does affect all of us, either in change of policy, or higher prices. One way or the other we have to pay for it.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am about the most honest person out there, so if I implied I wanted to steal anything from anyone, including Royal Caribbean, I apologize. Paying upwards of $800 for drink packags and my conscience is very clear! I didn't realize that the juice and water were free in the WJ and that I could take a to go cup. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I would just say this: as someone who has an incredibly stressful job, I come on this site to read, research and, quite honestly, get EXCITED about my upcoming vacation. I bet others do too. Be nice to each other. Life is too short and vacations are too few and far between!

• Like 1

Apparently you are not familiar with our friend matj2000.

I lurk often and read all the drama and bug tussle between you, him, and a few others. My point is, sometimes both sides of this tussle can throw up good responses. Whether you like his board personality is not the issue here.

The OP is buying two drink packages and does not plan to use the cups for which they were bought and paid for. Yet someone wants to call her a theif for giving the cups to her kids. It's silly and ridiculous. Not to mention out of the realm of reality.

My kids are grown and can/do buy there own drinks, but when my grandson begins to cruise w/ us, y'all are cray/cray to think that we won't allow him to use our cups for a soda or two a day. It's foolishness to do otherwise.

I lurk often and read all the drama and bug tussle between you, him, and a few others. My point is, sometimes both sides of this tussle can throw up good responses. Whether you like his board personality is not the issue here.

The OP is buying two drink packages and does not plan to use the cups for which they were bought and paid for. Yet someone wants to call her a theif for giving the cups to her kids. It's silly and ridiculous. Not to mention out of the realm of reality.

My kids are grown and can/do buy there own drinks, but when my grandson begins to cruise w/ us, y'all are cray/cray to think that we won't allow him to use our cups for a soda or two a day. It's foolishness to do otherwise.

You can find all excuses you want for making yourself feel better about your theft, but it will still be dishonest and theft to do so, but you will still do it anyways. So as I have to live with the fact that I share the same ship with thieves, you have to live with the fact how the honest people think about you.