Princess shuttle LAX to San Pedro

Yorkies Rule

It depends on your departure time, but they state that the latest acceptable flight arrival time is 2.5 hours (3 for international arrivals) before scheduled ship departure. And that is cutting it close with LAX traffic.

They will hold the ship for shuttles and late flights booked thru EzAir. I've never had a Princess shuttle that longer then 56 minutes.

Thank you for your replies. I could take a direct flight out of Vancouver that arrives LAX at 1:00 pm. The ship's departure time is 4:00 pm so according to their "rules" International flights must arrive 3-1/2 hrs. prior to departure time, so I am out by 1/2 hour. "Kamloops", do you mean the cruise transfer would still be at LAX?

Thank you for your replies. I could take a direct flight out of Vancouver that arrives LAX at 1:00 pm. The ship's departure time is 4:00 pm so according to their "rules" International flights must arrive 3-1/2 hrs. prior to departure time, so I am out by 1/2 hour. "Kamloops", do you mean the cruise transfer would still be at LAX?

First flights from Vancouver aren't considered International. Flights from Canada clear Customs and Immigration most airports . What I meant was , if shuttles are delayed by traffic , the ship will weight for them.

I think what the poster is saying is that IF you book thru EZ Air and you book transfers (and of course, Princess had to approve those times when you booked), the ship will wait for you in the event that the flight is on time and you are in -transit to the port.

If your flight is delayed, Princess does not guarantee that you will make the scheduled embarkation, only that they will route you to the first available port so that you can board there. They also do not promise to cover your expenses for hotels, meals, etc. during the transition (if you purchased insurance thru Princess, this should be covered).

Is it worth the anxiety to cut it that close? Is there an earlier flight or could you come in a day early? A hotel overnight, even in LA, is cheap insurance! There are decent places to stay near the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

Much depends on your ability to fend-off ulcers. Traffic around LA is predictably bad. One time we spent 20 minutes on the off ramp to the Cruise Port. Other times, 0 minutes. I would come earlier, using a nearby hotel if necessary and leave the worries aside. Then again, no guts, no glory.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

DH and I have taken the Princess shuttle everytime @ the LA airport. We get there REALLY early. We fly from Arizona and the latest arrival time we have had was 8 am. Easy peasy.

I would suggest two things. First, make sure that you put your air flight information in your personalizer with Princess. That way they know all the information because they do have a log and know which airline and when you arrive. They also will know when you need to get to the airport so that you do not miss your plane after the cruise.

Secondly, if you can, arrive before 11 am. I use to live near LA and traffic can be challenging to put it nicely. Usually it takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to get from the airport to the ship port.

DH and I have taken the Princess shuttle everytime @ the LA airport. We get there REALLY early. We fly from Arizona and the latest arrival time we have had was 8 am. Easy peasy.

I would suggest two things. First, make sure that you put your air flight information in your personalizer with Princess. That way they know all the information because they do have a log and know which airline and when you arrive. They also will know when you need to get to the airport so that you do not miss your plane after the cruise.

Secondly, if you can, arrive before 11 am. I use to live near LA and traffic can be challenging to put it nicely. Usually it takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to get from the airport to the ship port.

OP has already said that their flight (not sure whether proposed or already booked flight) doesn't arrive at LAX until 1. From there, they will need to go to baggage claim and then meet up with the Princess rep.

My daughter lives in LA...traffic around LAX can be easy or at a total stand still, and unfortunately there is no good way to predict which it will be. One accident can tie up the roads for hours! Normal driving time, assuming no traffic jams, would be about an hour or a bit less. It took me three hours once to get to a friend's house which is less than 10 minutes from the port! We joke that if we allow an hour, it will take 2. If we allow 2, it will take 1 and we'll be early.

Thank you everyone. Air Canada used to have a flight arriving LAX at 11:35 am and it always worked out. I think I will have a look at hotels in San Pedro and fly in a day early.:D

Very good idea....and some of the hotels offer a complimentary shuttle to the cruise terminal, so no need for a second Uber.

Thank you everyone. Air Canada used to have a flight arriving LAX at 11:35 am and it always worked out. I think I will have a look at hotels in San Pedro and fly in a day early.:D

Have you looked at Alaska. They used to have 7AM direct flight to LAX from Vancouver.

We always fly into the port at least one day early to start our vacation before boarding the ship. It makes for a very calm boarding day. If Princess will sell you a transfer then you have no worry about making the ship as they guarantee if you arrive at LAX on time you will make the ship. I have waited onboard quite a few times for the shuttle to arrive with late pax. If you buy the flight through EZair then Princess will guarantee your trip from Vancouver. Once you arrive at the Vancouver airport, your worries are over as Princess will take care of you. In answer to your original query if Princess will sell you the transfer, buy it and don't worry once arrival at LAX.

Personally I would not reply on a flight scheduled to arrive at 1:00 pm actually arriving by that time. There are way too many reasons these days for flights to arrive later than scheduled.

Living in So Calif and a little over 2 hours from LAX, I would never plan to arrive at 1 PM and hope to make final boarding by 2:30. On a good day your looking at 40 minutes + to the port. Try and find an earlier arrival or come in the day before would be best if you can.

Is there any reason to use the Princess shuttle from LAX to San Pedro rather than just taking a taxi or Uber? I am assuming that for two people the shuttle would be more expensive and of course you would have to wait for the shuttle to leave on its scheduled run. I checked the Princess website for info on the shuttle and it said I needed to arrange it thru my TA, so I have no idea of the cost of the shuttle.

We are taking the Princess shuttle from our 6:15 a.m. flight from Vancouver, arriving at 9:13 a.m. in L.A. in September of this year. I figured we have plenty of time to get to San Pedro and weather etc.,. should be good for flying in September. So booked Princess shuttle just in case. If I remember rightly it was $42 pp. Well worth it if flying in same day and saves on hotel, etc.,.

We are taking the Princess shuttle from our 6:15 a.m. flight from Vancouver, arriving at 9:13 a.m. in L.A. in September of this year. I figured we have plenty of time to get to San Pedro and weather etc.,. should be good for flying in September. So booked Princess shuttle just in case. If I remember rightly it was $42 pp. Well worth it if flying in same day and saves on hotel, etc.,.

That is $42.00 CAD (about $ 5.00 US :D (No, seriously it is about $ 32.00 US pp)).

Theo

• 1 year later...

Princess transfer from LAX to San Pedro- After collecting your bag off the carousel, I am assuming you find the Princess rep somewhere in baggage claim,  do they then handle the luggage for you out to the bus or do you have to get your own luggage out to the bus? 

30 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Princess transfer from LAX to San Pedro- After collecting your bag off the carousel, I am assuming you find the Princess rep somewhere in baggage claim,  do they then handle the luggage for you out to the bus or do you have to get your own luggage out to the bus? 

They take your luggage from you and load it onto a truck. Make sure you have your ship tags on them (they have a stapler) and keep your carryon with you. Next time we saw the suitcase was when it arrived at the cabin.

Edited by idahospud

16 minutes ago, idahospud said:

They take your luggage from you and load it onto a truck. Make sure you have your ship tags on them (they have a stapler) and keep your carryon with you. Next time we saw the suitcase was when it arrived at the cabin.

So do they(Princess reps) take your large bags in the baggage claim area? Or once you get bag outside near bus on the truck?

I am asking for someone with mobility issues that can’t lift luggage .

Just wanted to see what the procedure was at LAX for Princess  transfer passenger.

We fly in from Vancouver to sail out of San Pedro as well.  

We don’t do princess shuttles.  I always book a private shuttle 

Super Karmel or other.  Usually takes less than an hour from getting off the plane to the port 

15 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

So do they(Princess reps) take your large bags in the baggage claim area? Or once you get bag outside near bus on the truck?

I am asking for someone with mobility issues that can’t lift luggage .

Just wanted to see what the procedure was at LAX for Princess  transfer passenger.

You’ll take the bags from baggage claim to where the reps are. Even though the reps are in the baggage claim area it could be a bit of a walk to find them. You then give the bags to them and they have someone who takes them to the truck for you.